AMDs CEO Steps Down!

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Yes well thats for the CPU guys to talk about impacts to the Athalon line.
What does this mean for ATI?

Personally I think this is good for ATI and AMD as a whole. Hector has sucked at advertising AMD

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: tuteja1986
Originally posted by: betasub
Originally posted by: Paratus

:roll:

This is the GPU forum, he's allowed to butcher it. Now if he would have said something about the Raydion, then maybe we can think about getting the pitchforks and torches.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

This is the GPU forum, he's allowed to butcher it. Now if he would have said something about the Raydion, then maybe we can think about getting the pitchforks and torches.

:disgust:

Dont be talking about the Rahdeeon that way!!!

Let him have his Athalon in peace.

I think "change" for AMD is good.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Elcs
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

:disgust:

Dont be talking about the Rahdeeon that way!!!

Let him have his Athalon in peace.

I think "change" for AMD is good.

i am just following the leader :!

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Alright, back on topic guys before I close this thread.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Okay... What can a new CEO do ? Some how engineer a mega awesome CPU that kicks the living crap out Intel Nehalem. Can he sucker in someone to invest billions of dollars to survive until 2010 so that engineering team can engineer something to fight back. IF AMD goes down , both the CPU and GPU industry will surfer.

Nvidia thought that GTX280 performance was mega awesome for its price until AMD did surprises attack and made Nvidia go WTF in the their board meeting.

Competition is only the real thing that keeps the price competitive and brings in new innovation.

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
Okay... What can a new CEO do ? Some how engineer a mega awesome CPU that kicks the living crap out Intel Nehalem. Can he sucker in someone to invest billions of dollars to survive until 2010 so that engineering team can engineer something to fight back. IF AMD goes down , both the CPU and GPU industry will surfer.

Nvidia thought that GTX280 performance was mega awesome for its price until AMD did surprises attack and made Nvidia go WTF in the their board meeting.

Competition is only the real thing that keeps the price competitive and brings in new innovation.

The next processor doens't have to 'kick the living crap' out of Nehalem. It just has to perform well (hopefully TLB free) at a reasonable price.

The industry will not suffer as much as we the consumer will. Axing Hector, in many a person's view was a long overdue step in the right direction. But that's just one step. Hopefully AMD's next processor will be a success or my Q6600 will be a lot more 'future proof' than I want it to be.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
He's still chairman of the board and I think he will get a $9mil severance (this is why he's chairman, they don't have to pay that)

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
This is good news for AMD, but why make him chairman of the board? Even if it saves them $9 million in severance, that pales in comparison to the $1 billion they're losing every quarter.

I doubt his departure will do much to the ATI division. They've been performing extremely well lately. Hopefully his departure will help out the CPU division that he led into oblivion.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Led into oblivion? AMD on PC stickers all over Bestbuy, Circuit City, Office Depot, Office Max, Sams Club, Walmart, CostCo etc. I guess its time to blame the CEO when the engineers can't answer Intel's bullets eh? Before Ruiz, you would be hard pressed to find an AMD machine that wasn't from some small boutique in the obscure PC mags only us geeks buy at the grocery stores.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: hooflung
Led into oblivion? AMD on PC stickers all over Bestbuy, Circuit City, Office Depot, Office Max, Sams Club, Walmart, CostCo etc. I guess its time to blame the CEO when the engineers can't answer Intel's bullets eh? Before Ruiz, you would be hard pressed to find an AMD machine that wasn't from some small boutique in the obscure PC mags only us geeks buy at the grocery stores.
From a purely technical standpoint, he ruined the CPU division.

Socket 939 should never have been scrapped. AM2 was a failed platform. Phenom was (and still is) a failure.

It's great that Dell and such now offer AMD processors. To me that matters very little, and it certainly hasn't caused AMD's profits to increase.

Hector Ruiz took over very shortly after the creation of the first Athlon 64 CPU. The fact that its successors did so poorly is testament to the fact that he was a terrible CEO.

I'm certain that the engineers did not make the decision to scrap Socket 939.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Frankly speaking, the Phenom is a lot closer in performance than A64 was to C2D. The stock price only continues to plummet while ATI's division hasn't looked this good in the last 2 years. AT the end of the day, you don't necessarily have to have the best product. AMD's biggest problem in my eyes has always been marketing and complete inability to get the average person to get excited about their products. I have never seen any clever in store presentations, commercials or any ad in any magazine. Just something simple as putting 5 AMD rigs at Best Buy and 5 Intel rigs and running a videogame would show consumers that a 10% difference in performance wasn't actually "felt" in gaming.

Even still, everyone knows marketing and sales can overcome a product that isnt the best -just look at AAPL. So at least AMD could have provided "cool factor" tower and notebook designs for their offerings...again they didnt do anything.

Unfortunately AMD was always run by engineers who were good at what they did for a while. But for 4 years after A64 all they could come up with was Phenom? That was just unbelievable. However, this is exactly a scenario that requires marketing to help you get to the next cycle. You need both successful engineers and marketers to have a truly successful company. Take any brand you want, whether it's SBUX, Coca Cola, NIKE, etc. That doesn't mean marketing and engineering will be enough to be successful, but without them, you are almost guaranteed NOT to be.

So my concern is despite Dirk being the new CEO, his background is one of an engineering not a marketer -- something AMD needs now more than ever.