• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

AMD's ATI Catalyst 10.2 and 10.3 Preview

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
I use them because they don't crash my machine and cause other odd problems, they don't take up a ton of resources
Is this with a 5xxx card or something? I've been using ATI cards since my X1900, and I can't remember the last time my drivers caused my system to crash. I'm also not sure what you mean by taking up lots of resources - on my system, the CPU/RAM usage for all ATI related software is negligible. The CCC opens up very quickly as well (CCC has come a long way since I had my X1900, I'll admit it was pretty crappy back then).

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
hotfix didn't work for you? It's supposed to work for 58xx cards.
If you read the actual driver release itself, you'll see that ATi even only claimed it would alleviate most of the issue with the 58xx series, dunno how we can call that a fix.

No mention of a fix for 57xx users? My brother in law is experiencing gray screens once a day with his.

No mention of a fix for the overdrive + dual monitor bug?

Bezels win out over bug fixes, I am disappointed. The drivers seem to only be good for crossfire users which are a small percentage of their users.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Are you serious? If you switched ATI with nvidia in your post, then it would make sense. ATI always does good work on their drivers. There have been several times in the past when an ATI card's performance would increase 10-20% from the improvement in drivers. I don't think that's the case with nvidia. When all other things are equal, I always go with ATI, because the chance for performance improvement from future drivers is much greater than with nvidia.
That's funny I would argue their current driver set is not that great.

It is evidenced by the mix of drivers people are using. My friend I play COD with had a driver crash today, after switching to 10.2 in COD and never a driver crash before. My brother in law has gray screens with his 5770. Myself I am irritated that I cannot overclock with dual monitors or my desktop goes insane because of the ULP bug.

Also reviews of RE5 with the 5xxx series said their was a driver bug and the bloom went out of control with 5xxx series. I am unsure if this is fixed because I do not have RE5 though, but that was only 9.12 two drivers ago.

Both companies have released drivers that improved speeds significantly. Actually Nvidia just did it with the 19x.xx series improving performance a bit in all source games and some others. Delivering 20% boost from a driver though, thats just a sign that the first one was not working properly.

To say ATi does not have driver/BIOS team issues, I would either have to say you are a fanboi, lucky, or mentally handicap.

Fast cards - check.
Good price - check.
Good drivers with fast bug response - .....

I guess people will be telling 5770 owners not to fear it will come out with 10.4 as there is NO mention of it on Anands article nor on hardocp.

ASK THE COMMUNITY