AMD Zen “RYZEN” CPUs Detailed – 8 Cores, 3.4Ghz+ & Auto Overclocking With “XFR”

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-desktop-zen-cpu-xfr/

"
"AMD’s new desktop Zen CPUs are officially called RYZEN. They boast 8 cores, 3.4Ghz+ clock speeds & will overclock themselves automatically. You heard that right. AMD’s upcoming enthusiast line of “Summit Ridge” desktop processors based on the Zen microarchitecture come with an auto overclocking feature right out of the box.

It’s all thanks to a new technology that the company calls “XFR”, short for Extended Frequency Range. Which automatically boosts the clock speed of RYZEN CPUs beyond their official nominal values and stretch them as far as the cooling will allow, without any intervention from the user. It sounds like the stuff of sci-fi and fan fiction, but it’s very much real."

That's pretty cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbn

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
It sounds like Nvidia's boost tech, though likely harder to achieve on a CPU. I wonder if it is something that will be optional. I imagine some people would rather keep it at lower power levels too.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
That sounds cool, but hopefully Pure Power and Precision Boost work well enough that it also runs cool. The i7-6700K manages a 91 Watt TDP, I'm hoping Ryzen doesn't boost itself to 200 since I'm not a fan of water cooling.

Please AMD, compete! Force intel to stop being lazy and stop ignoring the desktop.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, nice. I don't suppose that anyone remembers my ancient post, suggesting that, eventually, CPUs would be sold much like CD-RW drives, with an "UP TO" speed on the box?

Aug 11, 2008
Looks like WCCF Tech cribbed another article. This has been posted already in videocardz and linked in the other Zen thread. It just sounds like turbo that is allowed to exceed the TDP.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Sounds like the same thing we have now, renamed, with lower nominal chip clocks.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
Turbo != Turbo
This power management enabled boosting went from static logic (n cores = x GHz, n/2 cores = x+y GHz, etc.) to a highly dynamic mechanism using high frequency and accuracy sensors/probes (like measuring the delay of a row of inverters) with learning algorithms to adapt to specific application behaviour, etc.

Enthusiasts are just a different use case.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Looks like WCCF Tech cribbed another article. This has been posted already in videocardz and linked in the other Zen thread. It just sounds like turbo that is allowed to exceed the TDP.
But there is a limit established by the motherboard limits. Seems that AMD is preparing that all the MoBos they produce have at least 10% more on the recommended TDP (example, the Mobo says that the recommended max. TDP is 95 w, but in fact can reach 105 W, as well as other cases) in order to apply this special OC feature.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
But there is a limit established by the motherboard limits. Seems that AMD is preparing that all the MoBos they produce have at least 10% more on the recommended TDP (example, the Mobo says that the recommended max. TDP is 95 w, but in fact can reach 105 W, as well as other cases) in order to apply this special OC feature.
Don't forget that this thing will have 16 threads,not many programs can take advantage of that,even if you run multiple things at once,so the CPU can always downclock some cores to get more TDP so it can overclock,above TDP specs (since those are for all cores(or all cores+SMT who knows) ) , the cores that actually are working.

SarahKerrigan

Oct 12, 2014
This looks a lot like Power8's turbo, where there's a maximum turbo TDP (well over 200W, for SCM's that are nominally 190W) and the CPU can boost to that TDP and its associated frequency on all cores as long as temperatures don't pass a certain threshold.

It's not a bad system, IME.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I miss those old, red "TURBO!" buttons on the front of PC cases. :(

Bring 'em back, AMD!

Reactions: NesuD

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Don't forget that this thing will have 16 threads,not many programs can take advantage of that,even if you run multiple things at once,so the CPU can always downclock some cores to get more TDP so it can overclock,above TDP specs (since those are for all cores(or all cores+SMT who knows) ) , the cores that actually are working.

I'm half awake, so I'm sure someone will drop a knowledge bomb on me if Intel has already been doing this. At first glace, this tech is a huge deal for VMs where you can boost cores for the VMs that need it, vs the whole chip.

If good news keeps coming out, I'll be building a 16 thread VM system next year.

Mar 10, 2006
I miss those old, red "TURBO!" buttons on the front of PC cases. :(

Bring 'em back, AMD!

Those TURBO buttons, when pressed, turned down the performance of your computer. lol

On personal computers, the turbo button is a button which provides two run states for the computer, normal (full) speed, or a reduced speed.

The name is inspired by turbocharger, a turbine-driven forced induction device that increases an engine's power and efficiency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_button

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Will they give SKUs a minimum boost clock rating?
From the sound of it (given that this is true, which we don't have any clue about), that's what the rated number will be, and then individual cores might turbo higher.

IMO, this is about time. Static systems like classic turbo are pretty dumb in 2016. Computers should really be acting more dynamically, to adapt to best suit the workload. This might mean that 8C CPUs won't be as (semi-artificially) gimped while gaming as they are today. If the whole CPU can run at 3,4GHz at 95W, why on earth shouldn't 2-4 cores be able to run significantly higher at the same power?

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
If AMD calls these CPUs Ryzen I think I'll wryly buy Intel and avoid the rye necessary to stomach such a silly name (as the bilge rises).

Intel's ridiculous skull tattooed onto its SSDs was bad but this is a new level of hackery.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
Really looking forward to this launch. Hoping the $499 CPU really gives the 5960x a run for it's money or even beats it. If it does I may move from my 6700k to this as I do a lot of video encoding.