Question AMD X570S - Am I the only one excited about this?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
As covered by several outlets talking about new motherboards from a variety of manufacturers, it's finally the no-compromise version of AM4/PCIe4 :)

Perhaps it's not earth shattering, and I'd like to know if they move to a new process for the southbridge or what made this possible, but no fan on X570 means you don't really need to consider high end B550 boards if you are not going to buy a motherboard with a fan (I really don't want to and so far have avoided it).

Does anyone else have anymore details about the actual change?

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
Besides the fact that there is an extra S on the Motherboard names, I don't remember any actual announcement about a X570S Chipset existing at all, being either a new Chipset or a lower power Revision of X570, or whatever. It may be just a new naming scheme that Motherboard vendors decided to follow. You may have seen the M appended a Motherboard Chipset name, like X570M, that is used by most manufacturers to signal mATX sized Motherboards, so I don't find a S that impressive if it doesn't comes with an actual Chipset announcement.

Also, it always puzzled me why the Fan on X570 Motherboards. The Chipset is around 11W TDP and is not uncommon for CPUs of that power class to be passively cooled.So I wouldn't be surprised if it is the exact same X570 Chipset but with some heavy duty Heatsinks.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Besides the fact that there is an extra S on the Motherboard names, I don't remember any actual announcement about a X570S Chipset existing at all, being either a new Chipset or a lower power Revision of X570, or whatever. It may be just a new naming scheme that Motherboard vendors decided to follow. You may have seen the M appended a Motherboard Chipset name, like X570M, that is used by most manufacturers to signal mATX sized Motherboards, so I don't find a S that impressive if it doesn't comes with an actual Chipset announcement.

Also, it always puzzled me why the Fan on X570 Motherboards. The Chipset is around 11W TDP and is not uncommon for CPUs of that power class to be passively cooled.So I wouldn't be surprised if it is the exact same X570 Chipset but with some heavy duty Heatsinks.

That’s fair, it’s just all of the motherboard manufacturers are releasing it at the same time (later this year) and the Anandtech preview of the Asrock board implied this is a result of something that AMD announced at Computex or whatever that big conference was that just occurred.

I was looking for the full announcement but no luck so far.

At the very east, AMD must have changed some sort of guidance for the 570 chipset given how they all (bar one) had fans before and now everyone is releasing fanless versions at once.

Reactions: killster1

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
They've lowered the voltage reducing the TDP enough to allow passive cooling, it's nothing special but I might get one if only for the native Type C front panel connector that my X570 doesn't have.

Reactions: blckgrffn

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
Yes, this is a good thing.
I too am atleast curious about what has changed.

My existing x370 motherboard is more power efficient than a newer x570, so this is something that is good to remove a negative.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Yeah, while 11w is definitely in the realm of passive heatsinks, I'm not so sure it is when most of them are positioned right on the exhaust of a graphics card that could be putting over 400 watts worth of heat against it in worst case scenarios (which these boards have to be designed for). Especially considering how flat the heatsinks have to be.

It's too bad that chipset positioning on modern motherboards don't really allow solutions like the old Thermalright HR-05 / HR-55. Unless mobo manufacturers can start laving a gap between the chipset and memory modules and jam it up there. Otherwise more "functional motherboard armor" is probably the only way to get enough surface area.

Definitely curious to find out what they're doing to make a passive version work now vs. the original. Considering it's still a re-purposed IO Die (probably) it doesn't sound like there's a lot of changes they could make to the chipset itself other than higher bin / lower voltages.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
As covered by several outlets talking about new motherboards from a variety of manufacturers, it's finally the no-compromise version of AM4/PCIe4 :)

Perhaps it's not earth shattering, and I'd like to know if they move to a new process for the southbridge or what made this possible, but no fan on X570 means you don't really need to consider high end B550 boards if you are not going to buy a motherboard with a fan (I really don't want to and so far have avoided it).

Does anyone else have anymore details about the actual change?
MSI X570 Tomahawk is basically passive already so no, I'm not excited. I'm pretty sure that I've never seen (or heard) the fan to activate outside boot.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
X570 TDP is roughly 15w, if AMD can halve it, then it would invite vendors to introduce a hell a lot of more passively cooled designs. A win-win.

thigobr

Sep 4, 2016
MSI X570 Tomahawk is basically passive already so no, I'm not excited. I'm pretty sure that I've never seen (or heard) the fan to activate outside boot.

Same here with a X570 Unify. I have never seen the chipset cooler running in normal operation under load and I have 2 NVME SSDs attached to the chipset lanes. So I don't think there will be any differences. I have read somewhere that the X570S is the same silicon with different firmware. Not sure if it's true...