AMD X2 temperature questions.

pepsimax2k

Jan 23, 2004
Hey all, just set up my new 5200+ X2 (windsor, 89w) with Xigmatek HDT-S963 inside an Antec 900 case. I've checked the temps and they erm, look a little too good to be true (the case is cold, but 0c cold?!?), so just wondering if someone could explain the below to me.

Idle, CPU (as in bios CPU reading, presumably cpu heatspreader/case) is reading ~22C in speedfan.
Core #0 is ~29C in core temp, which makes sense.
Core #1 is reading really low (between 0 and 4C). Only one core is referenced in Speedfan, though most the time it shows Core #1 and every now n then it switches to the Core #0 reading.

http://inaudible.co.uk/temp/tempidle.jpg

Load (prime95), CPU is 41C in speedfan / bios.
Core #0 is 38C (it's gone up, but I'd expect it to be higher than CPU?!?)
Core #1 is 13C. Again, it's gone up but something deffinately ain't right. That said, the second core does seem quicker than the first as it completes prime95 calcs slightly faster, which suggests it's at least a little cooler, but 25c cooler?.

http://inaudible.co.uk/temp/tempload.jpg

So, which temps have something obviously wrong with them? Cos something doesn't seem right.

And, as I plan to OC soon, which temps should I be paying attention to? I would have thought core but as cpu/case seems to be higher... And what kind of limits should I be keeping it at?

Thanks.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
That's just a bad sensor or bad reading. On some programs, like Core Temp, it reports both of my cores (on my Brisbane) as 0 or 1C.

You should pay attention to the higher value, though, in Speedfan. Around 22C is about right for an idle Athlon with your cooler, as my ACF64Pro keeps my Brisbane at around 20C.

And your Prime95 findings probably occur because one core is handling the background applications and services that are running. The theorized temperature difference isn't impacting performance.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
I think the low 20s is about right at idle - and you look right at load in the low 40s. On a rig with an X2 5400+ I got the same wacky 2nd core reading with low 20s on first core.

The new OCCT or HWMonitor might be different - but I doubt it ...