Question AMD with USB4/TB4?

OFelix

Nov 7, 2020
Hi,

I'd like to update my Skylake from 2015 to a Zen 3, either 5600X or maybe an APU with integrated graphics when they arrive ...

BUT I want a system with USB4/TB4 for future proofing.

What are my options? How long will I have to wait? Should I hold out for Zen 4?

Thanks!

damian101

Aug 11, 2020
There were some rumors that high-end AMD laptops with Thunderbolt 4 will come at Q1 next year or even at the end of this year. But that was quite a while ago and I've never heard of that again.
But I don't see how having Thunderbolt 4 and USB 4 would make the device more future-proof. From my understanding Thunderbolt 4 is pretty much identical to Thunderbolt 3, only difference seems to be that Thunderbolt 4 supports USB 4, which will be completely intercompatible with USB 3. Same with USB 4, it's just USB 3 with higher bandwidth and forced USB-C connector. I originally expected Thunderbolt 4 to double the bandwidth by providing 4 PCIe 4.0 lanes instead of 3.0 ones, but nope. Probably makes sense for mobile devices at the moment.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
sigh... it amazes me how little people count pci-e lanes..

You just wanting usb4 + tb4 will require at least 8-12 pci-e lanes....
The system you are looking has a total of 24.
nvme requires 4 each.
Board requires 4. (usb3.0 + Ethernet + soundcard + Wifi + bluetooth + ....) All the normal board stuff.

That means 4+4+(8-12) = 16-20 lanes already used without a GPU and a single nVME.
GPU is recommended to use at least 8, ideally you should give it a full 16x.
Do you see a problem here with what your asking for on a non Enthusiast Tier?

You want to smell cake and eat it too, you need to go up to ThreadRipper with 64 lanes if you want all that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steltek