AMD vs. Nvidia - Prefs & Why

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
When your little 7850 precious is getting 200fps in Metro and Crysis, BF3, The witcher 2, maxed then yo can talk. Don't diss the the 560SE cause I can only play Metro 2033 maxed DX11 @ 30fps.

Edit:

Don't care enough to respond to this as its pointless. Moving on.

Last edited:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Smooth is subjective to each individual. Your opinion is just one -- your own.
Science proves that there is some stuttering below 40fps on the contrary 60fps + is ideal that's not opinion that's fact with 120fps+ being the golden standard. If one cannot see and feel the difference of between 120fps & 60fps and less than 40fps then they are most likely inebriated or have some sort of physical or cognitive discrepancy.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Why are you here? You argue with everyone with blinders on full tilt in almost every thread you engage in. I just don't get it.

My little 7850 can walk all over that SE of yours, so why make fun of it? And who really cares?

The 7850 is by far the smallest setup I've owned in quite a while, mostly because my days of having a large Computer budget is done. You know, some of us are not in High School
Good for you move along enjoy your card friend just don't diss mine.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Science proves that there is some stuttering below 40fps on the contrary 60fps + is ideal that's not opinion that's fact with 120fps+ being the golden standard. If one cannot see and feel the difference of between 120fps & 60fps and less than 40fps then they are most likely inebriated or have some sort of physical or cognitive discrepancy.

Smoothness is subjective to each individual; as subjective tastes and tolerances may differ.

Really wish you would actually prove something in one of your posts. Some allow idealism to be the enemy of good.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Smoothness is subjective to each individual; as subjective tastes and tolerances may differ.

Really wish you would actually prove something in one of your posts. Some allow idealism to be the enemy of good.
There has been many tests done that there is a massive smoothness gain going from 30fps to 60fps and under 30fps is not considered smooth at all or even playable. Why must you try and refute facts that are already common knowledge LOL.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
No one is arguing against 60FPS is more ideal than 30FPS. However, what if the image quality and experience is dramatically improved and one receives less than 60 -- let's say 50? or 40? How tolerant one may be for their frame-rate threshold if the experience is greatly enhanced? It's not the same for all.

Some gamers need 120 FPS - some need 60 FPS -- some are happy around 40-45 -- some around 30 for minimums. This is why flexibility and choice is so important because subjective tastes and tolerances differ.

I am a very tolerant poster but this is common sense thinking -- Gordon, you're trying to force your view as some sort of rule for all.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Standard template for making a persuasive argument:

1) state objective
2) gather supporting evidence with proper citations
3) present evidence in a compelling manner

Statements such as "200 fps is overkill LOLOL" doesn't really cut it, gordon. Furthermore, you continue to make outrageous statements with no substantiation (my favorite being that nvidia failed with 8800GT...yeah ok). Outrageous statements are fine, compelling evidence is what you need in order for people to not immediately ignore everything you say.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Yep, and it's dependent on the game played. For example, Skyrim at 30fps is perfectly fine (generally what people are seeing with last gen cards and the mods with higher resolution textures) but 30fps in Battlefield 3, no way.

Jhatfie

Jan 20, 2004
I've gone both ways, but 70% of my cards have been AMD.

I feel single GPU drivers are strong on both sides.

I feel SLI drivers often work a smudge better than Crossfire drivers, but again, based on my own experience only.

I like CCC better than Nvidias

I honestly don't have a true preference, but AMD usually gets a look at first for me over Nvidia.

Pretty much how things have been for me as well. Most my cards have been AMD/ATI however I have owned plenty of Nvidia graphics cards as well, generally try at least one from each generation with my most recent Nvidia card being a Galaxy GTX580. Driver preference is a wash, had some minor problems here and there with each one, but nothing major or that could not be worked around.

Reliability wise, AMD wins hands down in my experience. Only cards I have had go bad (that was not caused by me) or show up DOA have been Nvidia.

NIGELG

Nov 4, 2009
Reliability is important when you leave in a place like Trinidad where an RMA is an expensive hassle.....My last two two cards,4850 AND 5850 are tough even after overclocking and are still going strong.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Standard template for making a persuasive argument:

1) state objective
2) gather supporting evidence with proper citations
3) present evidence in a compelling manner

Statements such as "200 fps is overkill LOLOL" doesn't really cut it, gordon. Furthermore, you continue to make outrageous statements with no substantiation (my favorite being that nvidia failed with 8800GT...yeah ok). Outrageous statements are fine, compelling evidence is what you need in order for people to not immediately ignore everything you say.
That why I never claimed anything about 200fps I just know that 200fps is an arbitrary number to gauge FPS.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I just swapped two 7970's for two 680 GTX's due to severe bugs with crossfire and eyefinity. I have for a while been buying AMD cards as they were better price/performance or ahead with their release (as they were with the 7970) but actually now I realise I was suffering from Stockholm syndrome in moving from a 5970 that didn't work very well to a 7970. Its a costly error and not one I'll repeat again.

AMD's drivers are still a problem, but I don't think its that they have less problems than NVidia necessarily, just different ones.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
nVidia because I've never had issue. I bought ati card once and drivers sucked lots of ram and gave me artifacts in games so I said fuck em from then on.

I buy highest end nV card on release in general priciple. Good resale when next comes out - I only lose $100-$150 and most ppl respect it even rip off GTX 580 still goes for $350 while far far better 470 is $400..

I even bought 5800 GTX when 9700/9800 was dominate.

Last edited:

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I buy whatever I feel is the best card (within reason, not spending $1200 on a 690 for example)

My last card was a 5870, my current one a 680. I don't have brand preference.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
I buy what i think is best for me at a given time. Have never had drivers issues with NV or AMD/ATI.

nFeF

Jul 16, 2010
I buy whatever is the best bang/buck at the time I happen to be upgrading.

Over the years i've owned both and i've been happy/disappointed with both at times.. My last two cards were AMD (currently 7850) but that doesn't mean next time around I won't be considering Nvidia same as I always do.

Brand means nothing to me, it's always about the best I can get for my dollar.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
So far in recent years I have to say ATI/AMD has been the better of the 2.
I never had any driver/graphic issues whatsoever with my last 2 AMD cards, but I have had a few glitches with my 560Ti.

I can also remember the TNT2 fiasco with the Aladdin chipset. I was one of the unlucky few that found out you basically can't run the 2 together. When I switched to a Voodoo card and later an ATI card, no issues.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
nVidia because I've never had issue. I bought ati card once and drivers sucked lots of ram and gave me artifacts in games so I said fuck em from then on.

I buy highest end nV card on release in general priciple. Good resale when next comes out - I only lose $100-$150 and most ppl respect it even rip off GTX 580 still goes for $350 while far far better 470 is $400..

I even bought 5800 GTX when 9700/9800 was dominate.

Did you mean the FX 5800 (not 5800 GTX)? Thats a long time ago.