AMD Vega Frontier Edition - Is it really that quirky?

corinthos

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2000
Hi All,

As you know, due to mining, prices for top gfx cards has skyrocketed as much as 3x MSRP. Most recently, I saw a "deal" on an AMD Vega Frontier Edition from NewEgg for $749 + tax. I hesitated since I got a Vega 64 from NewEgg around the holiday season for under $500 shipped. Couldn't justify paying 50% more for basically the same card with 8GB more memory.

But with prices being what they have been for months now, that $749+tax for the Vega FE is starting to look decent.

I want to use it for Video Editing (Davinci Resolve 14), at least Vega 64 level gaming (4k@60hz, not a hardcore gamer but would expect at least Vega 64 performance for the specs/price), and general purpose workstation/desktop use. I also want to use in Hackintosh along with Threadripper. Have seen some posts where people were successful with the Vega FE and Hackintosh (High Sierra).

But I hear the Frontier Edition drivers are finicky.. is this still the case? Is it more trouble than it's worth? or is the crappy driver situation overblown?

Same question for setting up for crypto mining? I'm just curious about it mostly and want to give it a try with 1 card during off hours.. at least i want to make enough to cover electricity and make a little bit of profit.

But mainly this is for video editing, some gaming, general workstation/desktop use.

Can someone with experience with the Vega FE please shed some light on what the deal is?

I can get one for $790 total, brand new.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I don't have any experience with Threadripper + Vega in a Hackintosh, but if you have made a Hackintosh before, it should be quite easy. First time Hackintosh users will always have a tougher time.

I think $790 is a pretty good deal for Vega FE, but it may go lower if Crypto continues to fall in price.

Vega 64 is solid for 4k60 gaming so I see no reason FE isn't. The driver fiasco that FE had on release appears to have quieted down, but I honestly don't know if it is a bad thing.

In MacOS, I use VMWare Fusion to virtualize Windows on my Hackintosh. This allows GPU acceleration as well. In Mac, I don't have a way to mine or use multiple GPU's, so Idk how that will work.