[AMD] Vega coming in 1H 2017

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Awwwwww yisssssss, my GTX 1080 put me into the high social status club! Time to get me funk on at the club, ladies gonna love me!

On a serious note, you ask me, NV basically has that portion of the market to themselves. In another thread a consumer is angry that NV is the only option for them to buy.

Vega will be along eventually, people just got to be patient if they aren't happy with the only current options. But I'm pretty that isn't NV's fault.

Reactions: Sweepr

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think some mechanism like this is at least part of the reason.

In economics, Veblen goods are types of material commodities for which the demand is proportional to its high price, which is an apparent contradiction of the law of demand; Veblen goods also are commodities that function as positional goods. Veblen goods are types of luxury goods, such as expensive wines, jewelry, fashion-designer handbags, and luxury cars, which are in demand because of the high prices asked for them. The high price makes the goods desirable as symbols of the buyer's high social status, by way of conspicuous consumption and conspicuous leisure; conversely, a decrease of the prices of Veblen goods would decrease demand for the products.

I think that applies, but with tech like this...it's very strange. One isn't wearing their nerd+++ GPU on their wrist such that they can display it out at clubs, driving to their 3 Michelin star restaurant in their nerd+++ GPU, or uncorking their nerd+++ GPU to share its premium 30 year-old earth-like mossiness, with hints of deep pencil lead flavor to their envious lesser nerd friends.

It seems like a very niche application of that concept when the product in question spends its sessile life protected from the harsh light of the world, it's only existence evidenced by some +4-10 FPS in a handful of games on some chart posted to some corner of the internet that will be forgotten in 3 months time.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Good luck competing with an improved GP104 / GP102 (if not Volta) when your current 14nm VGAs can't match 28nm Maxwell perf/watt.

Pfffft... Competing with maxwell? Maxwell is crap.

Pitcairn - hd7870 - 2012 product that makes maxwell look bad.

This card took less power than their competition, and the performance was amazing.

After the release in 2012 hd 7870 was going strong against gtx660 in the 250$ price bracket. Nipping heels of 7950.
Year later nv release gtx760 for $250 which was meant to be 7950 competitor... Woof

In 2015, 3 years after the release of 7870 nv releases maxwell and is crowned as a Almighty Leader of GPU industry and a Godlike GPU design innovator. Girls loose their underwear and guys toss off to the green back-lit GTX logo in their case window.
Because of this:
power_average.gif

10-20 watts less, can't deny that advantage...

Meanwhile:
perfrel_1920_1080.png

:X
both behind that same old Pitcairn

Maxwell offering not much better perf/watt than the 2012 card. Let it sink in for a while. NV needed 3 years to match amd GPU? NV 3 card to fight Pitcairn, and all 3 of them failed.

I'm still waiting for the pitcairn successor.

How much better than that Vega will be? What did they come up with within those 5 years. How far can they push the new manufacturing process?

Trolling is not allowed. Plus your examples aren't about the same card (7870)
Markfw900

Last edited by a moderator:

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
The same people are at it again. VC&G continues to be the Reported Post leader again. The last eight reported post are coming from this thread alone since 6 am this morning.
Some of these are multiple people reporting the same posts

Its the same people again, over and over and over again doing the complaining.

Next time I see a poster here go off topic, and I mean not posting to
"
[AMD] Vega coming in 1H 2017"

You will be infracted. You same people doing all the reported posts???
I am this close to removing you from VC&G for 30-60 days.

You know who you are because I have personally warned you before about this.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director