Info AMD TrueAudio Next: Ambisonics

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Seems that the AMD beavers are still working on TA Next GPGPU Spatial Audio.

They have a new page on GPUOpen with a demo for Ambisonics in TA Next.

Link [link removed]

That link shows it has some security concerns

according to Google Safe Browsing.
Google Safe Browsing results

Please do not post it again until
we look into it further.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
This is great! Now if only game devs would actually use tech like this. Sound in games is uniformly awful - little better than it was decades ago - unlike graphics, which have improved massively. Sadly, most people don't seem to realize that there is anything wrong with how it is now, but demonstrations like this will hopefully help them to hear how much could be improved. Still, there is a long way to go; compared to graphics tech, this is like someone has just worked out how to calculate phong shading, and no one even cared that everything was flat before.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The only reason its being blocked is because it contains a login prompt (for devs) that is not HTTPS, which is weird. The rest of the site is HTTPS. Opera blocked the login prompt for me automatically.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
The only reason its being blocked is because it contains a login prompt (for devs) that is not HTTPS, which is weird.
Hardly a reason to block it in this way, it gives completely the wrong impression to someone who doesn't know better - ie that the site is riddled with viruses or something similar.

Indeed I didn't need to log in to browse the site as I did when I found the article in question, which makes the block pointless in the first place if that is the only reason to block it - again with the suspicious moves here, I like it not.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
This is great! Now if only game devs would actually use tech like this. Sound in games is uniformly awful - little better than it was decades ago - unlike graphics, which have improved massively. Sadly, most people don't seem to realize that there is anything wrong with how it is now, but demonstrations like this will hopefully help them to hear how much could be improved. Still, there is a long way to go; compared to graphics tech, this is like someone has just worked out how to calculate phong shading, and no one even cared that everything was flat before.
To be fair, it's as much Microsoft's fault as anyone elses, for demoting hardware acceleration of sound, basically crippling it and reducing it to little more than DAC cards.

Reactions: Krteq

kondziowy

Feb 19, 2016
Meanwhile... I will humbly play my esport "sound localization oriented" games like Cs:go, Rainbow Six, with crap sound, not even able to say if sounds are coming from upstairs or downstairs (while true audio had hardware support in even low end cards in 2013). Yaaaay

Reactions: ZGR

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
Microsoft thought there were too many crashes related to the sound drivers back in the day, and they also saw that very few used the sound card even on the original Xbox.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Microsoft thought there were too many crashes related to the sound drivers back in the day
That's a little rich coming from them.

Especially as the worst crashes I've ever had were due to gfx drivers everytime, the worst I ever had from my sound card was a crackling noise on the headphone output.