AMD to launch 40/45nm GPUs in early 2009, RV870 is one of them

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
I don't see why people think that 2000SP's wouldn't be possible on a single GPU. The RV670 had 320, it was more then doubled to 800 (2.5x actually) for the RV770 all on the same manufacturing process. With a process shrink to 40nm, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to make the exact same 2.5x stream processor improvment (2.5x 800 = 2000) as they did with the examples above.

I agree. Whether or not ATI decides to go this route is another story, however :( Remember that rv770 was only rumored to have 480sp ;)

soybeast

Apr 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Luminair
> They know AMD worth more than its current price so its looks like a sweet deal to IBM especially.

IBM needs AMD like God needs a starship.

lmao. I'm gonna use that line sometime....somewhere.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
Originally posted by: jaredpace
If R800 has 4000 shaders and comes out in Jan 09, then woot!

I cant wait for R900... ITS OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAND! :laugh:

it's rv740 that's rumored to be coming out in q1 09...probably midyear at the earliest for rv870, depending upon what their competition does. We could all be screaming for a competitive nvidia by this time next year :(

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Acanthus
Intel is up to 10 stream processors, fear it. :D

Sounds like all good news on the graphics front, i wonder if Nv is doing something alone the same line with their 40nm shrink. (both companies have access to the same process technology as they both get their stuff fabbed by TSMC.

ati has been significantly ahead of nvidia in process technology for a long time. yes they both use tsmc but amd always seems to be 1/2 step ahead...

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: jaredpace
If R800 has 4000 shaders and comes out in Jan 09, then woot!

I'd likely have a case of buyers remorse. :(

hhe last time ATI was trying to mislead everyone saying R770 will have 480 SP and it ended up with 800!

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
The 2000 shaders just doesn't sound right. 1600 is believable but 2000 just doesn't seem right.

It also seems to go against AMDS smaller is better idea. So lets just for the hell of it say . That THe Hyper chip works as its suppose to . Its suppose to be released early 09.

Now ATI and NV build hugh dies like the 2000 shader ATI were talking about.

The Power draw even at 40nm will be way higher than what we see now.

SO ATI /NV release their new GPU monsters the ATI 800 and what ever NV calls theirs.

So ATI/NV release these GPU about the same time Hyper chip comes out.

Someone test hyper chip with 4x 4850's and the 4850s beat ATI/NV latest greatest with last generation hardware. How would this go down if it happened . NOT well at all.

This new chip brings new hope . I hate to be the manufactory who tries to block the hyper chip from working. With there GPUs it would finish whatever company tries to stop this progress.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
800 is exactly 2.5 times as many as 320, and 2000 is exactly 2.5 times as many as 800...that's where that rumor comes from.

Again, we went from 320 to 800 as well as other improvements on the 55nm process, now we're shrinking down to 40nm and we have far more pessimists than optimists.

Of course as others have already mentioned, even if the chip isn't as ambitious as some of us are thinking/hoping, that could easily mean its all the more efficient or optimized elsewhere.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Nemesis, many people said that 800 seemed to be too much as well, but AMD's sharders don't take up a lot of die space it seems. 320x2.5 = 800. 800x2.5=2000. With a process shrink I don't see any reason why they can't do this. I'm not saying they will do this, but I doubt that it's impossible by a long shot, I see no reason they can't do this if they want.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
The 2000 shaders just doesn't sound right. 1600 is believable but 2000 just doesn't seem right.

It also seems to go against AMDS smaller is better idea. So lets just for the hell of it say . That THe Hyper chip works as its suppose to . Its suppose to be released early 09.

Now ATI and NV build hugh dies like the 2000 shader ATI were talking about.

The Power draw even at 40nm will be way higher than what we see now.

SO ATI /NV release their new GPU monsters the ATI 800 and what ever NV calls theirs.

So ATI/NV release these GPU about the same time Hyper chip comes out.

Someone test hyper chip with 4x 4850's and the 4850s beat ATI/NV latest greatest with last generation hardware. How would this go down if it happened . NOT well at all.

This new chip brings new hope . I hate to be the manufactory who tries to block the hyper chip from working. With there GPUs it would finish whatever company tries to stop this progress.

If we assume 2000 results in 2x the transistor count, the chip would be about the same size as current RV770 chips (since it would be on 40nm instead of 55nm).
Of course there probably won't be linear scaling, but in terms of die size it wouldn't be that huge compared to chat we have now.
Power consumption though probably wouldn't decrease by enough IMO, so we would see probably even higher power draw than we have at the moment, which would be bad.

isandu

Oct 15, 2007
Oh, no! Here we go again! A few months ago, I wanted to buy an 8800GT, but then I found out about the mysterious new HD4800 series AMD was working on. I began reading absolutely everything I could find about them, all the speculation about the specifications and performance on nordichardware, techreport, anantech forum and other sites. For some reason, I almost became obsessed about this card, though I only play games occasionally. Then it FINALLY arrived... a few days earlier than expected. And now I'm a happy owner of a HD4850 (HD4870 was too power hungry for me). This is also my first Radeon ever

Now, here we go again! The new cards are barely out for a month and already rumors about the next generation have started to appear. It just never stops :) Looking back, all of that was pointless. Most of the rumors were wrong anyway (the card ended up with 800sps, not 480). It's less painful to just don't care about it until the cards are actually out.

In the end, all I can say is, "GO ATI, GO!". Teach those green bastards a lesson! "Nobody in the world talks about ATI, except maybe in the UK", ey? Well, they sure do now! Open a can of Whoop-ass, will they? Well, they sure did. And now their own ass is getting whooped like there's no tomorrow, from all sides (AMD, Intel, Rambus, and consumers with defective Geforce chips). Nobody can say they didn't deserve it. As for me, I will probably be happy with this card until at least HD6800 (if that will ever get out considering AMD's financial problems), or GTX 4xx, whichever will be worthier of my hard-earned money. Now, if only some good games would come out so I can take advantage of my new card... I'm tired of Crysis, and I don't like Bioshock

PS: to tell you the truth I still prefer Nvidia because of better drivers, especially in older games. But I'm really happy ATI was finally able to bring competition to the market. I know this post is completely useless, but by the time the new cards will come out, this whole topic will be useless too! Because speculation is useless but it's interesting as long as there is some mystery behind something :)

Y'all have fun speculatin'!

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
bring it on, amd, bring it on, if its 4000 shaders, omg.... thats gona be some can of whoop ass

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
More news from Hardspell

It is said that AMD next generation graphic core possible be named RV870 and according to TSMC technology, it will use 40nm or 45nm technology. The core area of RV870 will be about 140m? which is much smaller than RV770 260m?. As we know by now, it will have 192 ALU. RV770 each ALU matched 5SP and then RV870 will have 960SP. In order to control the core area, it is still 256bit. We believe RV870 will be 1.2 times than RV770 in performances, but this will be decided by the clock of RV870.

It is also said that AMD next generation R800 will use new design. We know Radeon HD3870X2 and the coming Radeon HD4870X2 both used single PCB+dual graphic core design while R800 will possible use real dual core design. If so, AMD next generation flagship R800 will be the first dual core GPU. The specs of R800 will double RV870.

Advanced 45nm (40nm?) will bring RV870 smaller core area. The current RV770 did well in performances but the temperature is really terrible. If RV870 can settle this problem and further improve performances, it will be really excited for us and it will be the first real dual core GPU possibly.

shangshang

May 17, 2008
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
More news from Hardspell

It is said that AMD next generation graphic core possible be named RV870 and according to TSMC technology, it will use 40nm or 45nm technology. The core area of RV870 will be about 140m? which is much smaller than RV770 260m?. As we know by now, it will have 192 ALU. RV770 each ALU matched 5SP and then RV870 will have 960SP. In order to control the core area, it is still 256bit. We believe RV870 will be 1.2 times than RV770 in performances, but this will be decided by the clock of RV870.

It is also said that AMD next generation R800 will use new design. We know Radeon HD3870X2 and the coming Radeon HD4870X2 both used single PCB+dual graphic core design while R800 will possible use real dual core design. If so, AMD next generation flagship R800 will be the first dual core GPU. The specs of R800 will double RV870.

Advanced 45nm (40nm?) will bring RV870 smaller core area. The current RV770 did well in performances but the temperature is really terrible. If RV870 can settle this problem and further improve performances, it will be really excited for us and it will be the first real dual core GPU possibly.

Hardshell is the same website that reported this
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2208449&enterthread=y
(people in this thread seem to call it bs)

I'll take it with a bag of salt.

And if the R800 is reported to be only 1.2x RV770 (according to Hardshell), it'll be a bit disappointing.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Sounds like FUD to me

Amd said in their own slides they expect to double performance each generation, and 1.2x is laughable, not even the FX was that bad

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
Sounds like FUD to me

Amd said in their own slides they expect to double performance each generation, and 1.2x is laughable, not even the FX was that bad

It could be a refresh before a new architecture much like the RV670 was to the R600, smaller process, probably higher clocks, cooler etc.

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
If they made a good break thru on multi chip scaling (multiple chip package and shared memory pool) they could getaway with just producing a chip like that has 1000sp. The single die version would be the $100 dollar part and be 10-20% faster than the current 4870. then could then release there 200-300 dollar parts as a MCM package (forget if thats the right term). then for ultra high end pair two of the MCM packages up for a X2 card. basically covers all segments of the market with one chip. which in my mind would make tons of sence and should save a lot of money if they pull it off.