AMD to hold event January 31st - NDA on Ryzen to lift February 28th

CentroX

Apr 3, 2016
breaking:

AMD has announced they’re going to hold a Webinar event that will take place on January 31st. This event is going to be streamed through Adobe Connect Meeting Room, while the host is James Prior, Channel Business Development Manager for AMD. According to latest reports, it looks like AMD will show AM4-based motherboards from ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI during the event.

https://ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=16062

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It's about time Asus stepped up to the plate. Show us some x370 boards please!

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
One more month.. gah. Think ill handcoff myself from participating in zen topics for the next 30 days..

Reactions: Burpo

CentroX

Apr 3, 2016
Looks like AMD might go the same route as with Fury X when benchmarks and launch was the same day. Might be spelling bad news, i dunno.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
im not sure i can take this for another month, just release some damn third party benches already!

Reactions: Burpo

Ertaz

Jul 26, 2004
My bank account loves AMD being super late with CPU/GPU releases. I have even more money saved up than I anticipated.

My wallet is still on cool-down from my Fury purchase. I am anxiously waiting to hit the button on Ryzen. I keep telling myself "You don't want a first generation processor and board, wait a couple months." But the thought of 8C/16T is pretty darn appealing....

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My wallet is still on cool-down from my Fury purchase. I am anxiously waiting to hit the button on Ryzen. I keep telling myself "You don't want a first generation processor and board, wait a couple months." But the thought of 8C/16T is pretty darn appealing....

Im waiting for the bugs to be worked out for sure, probably buy around summer at the earliest, but i still want benches like freaking NOW lol.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
What I hope is the systems configured with ryzen and vega get some sort of interconnecting bonus or benefit by having both. That make any sense?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Ertaz

Jul 26, 2004
What I hope is the systems configured with ryzen and vega get some sort of interconnecting bonus or benefit by having both. That make any sense?

Lord I hope not. Then I'll have to move this Fury down to another PC and buy a vega... lol. My wallet needs to get to the gym and stretch out.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Why would it make sense. Give a reason.
Because gimping your hardware for the majority of users (unless they just happen to have bought in a certain combination) is the right way to get a struggling company more business?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Looks like AMD might go the same route as with Fury X when benchmarks and launch was the same day. Might be spelling bad news, i dunno.

Well they've said Ryzen will launch in this quarter, so I'd be more suspect if they pushed the launch and NDA all the way until the end of March. If they're not releasing details it could just as easily mean that they're still getting the final clocks worked out and making other tweaks, so any information released now might not hold true. They've shown enough at this point to be confident that Zen won't be a flop and a lot of people have adjusted expectations upwards.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
I never said to have it gimped, but enable some sort of cool extra feature by having both components.

Ertaz

Jul 26, 2004
I never said to have it gimped, but enable some sort of cool extra feature by having both components.
Let's just hope the cool power isn't being the collective runner-up in both their market segments.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004

I dont get the secrecy at all. As if having a good or bad hand matters in the long term when they are going to inevitably show it on release day, and they got nothing left to cannibalize anyway.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I dont get the secrecy at all. As if having a good or bad hand matters in the long term when they are going to inevitably show it on release day, and they got nothing left to cannibalize anyway.

They may really not know. If that extra spin happened in December I would think it would be too early yet to really know how the yield will play out. If they are really having something close to a "full launch" I wonder if that means AMD would sell pre-spin chips too.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Showing their hand early won't change their sales. If the hand is bad, you won't buy if you know the hand now or if you wait another month. If the hand is good, you will buy if you know the hand now or if you know it in another month. AMD has nothing to gain. That is even more true with jpiniero's comment, AMD might not even know their hand fully.

But they have a lot to lose. Ryzen appears to be targeting the Broadwell-E and entry level server categories (especially at launch as the lower core count Ryzen parts aren't being released until much later). Intel has not yet released the Kaby Lake version of either of those two products (rumors have them for this summer). One more month of performance/pricing details of the competition is massively helpful for Intel at this point in the design. Do they need one more spin or not? Do they need to hold off for more yield or not? An extra month of that data right now would be pure gold for Intel.

Heck, most people are getting the 7700K to at least 4.8 GHz. If Intel determined that they could get a competitive advantage by releasing a ~4.6 GHz base version of the 7700K, that might just knock the legs right out from underneath Ryzen. All Intel would need is time to bin the 7700K better since most of the chips seem to be able to go faster. Wouldn't an extra month of information help make that decision?