AMD stock up 20% after conference call! (52% in 1 day!)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2006
Did any of you buy when the market opened this morning? It jumped another 13% the first hour the market opened! Man, i was hesitating and figured it was overbought yesterday in aftermarket trading... and also a little chicken!!! Damn it!!!! Exciting to watch at the very least.

That's a 36% jump in one day! Congratulations to all those who have AMD stock.:)

Was tempted, but like you I didn't pull the trigger. There is some pretty serious short covering going on right now.

Mar 10, 2006
This is so true and I was thinking something similar. Still, the initial $290M is more than worth it to AMD in their current state. You almost have to think of it as a bonus if China actually does pay the royalties for awhile. I have to wonder if it includes the GPU IP too.

I agree. The $290M of basically "guaranteed" money as long as they hit probably some easy milestones is something sorely needed by AMD. Liquidity over the long-term is the biggest concern here, and anything AMD can do to bolster it will be good for the stock.

zentan

Jan 23, 2015
All the console wins and other things that are to come seems good for AMD.
They just need the Zen to click especially the APU without much delay in 2017.Finance could look much better than they have been all these years.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Yea I agree, all the console wins and licensing deals are great, but ultimately they need Zen and the new gpus to be a success also.

I still think the stock will drop back, at least temporarily. But long term it could do very well if their major products do well on top of all the wins so far.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Did somebody hijack your account? :p

Let s say that i do not practice overnight trades, i always liquidate my positions the same day, even if it means that i have to buy/short again the same stock every day, comparatively it yield the same results as being ON but without losing my sleep.

In AMD case there should be anyway a consolidation before the stock price can eventually keep growing, 35% in a row is too much to digest for the market.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
I agree. The $290M of basically "guaranteed" money as long as they hit probably some easy milestones is something sorely needed by AMD. Liquidity over the long-term is the biggest concern here, and anything AMD can do to bolster it will be good for the stock.
Regarding all the layoffs AMD might actually be in the opposite position to not risk reaching these milestones.

BTW I still held my position (since $1.9) over the last two earnings as I thought, that there isn't too much risk for sharp downward moves.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Good for a day trade if you entered today but i wouldnt hold the position overnight even if the stock has the potential for much higher pricing, that said it s your money..

good is an understatement. Day traders go after 1% here and 2% there. This is a 16% jump in one day and 38% jump if you bought yesterday in the day.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Bought at 2.82 a few weeks ago with the intention there was a lot of upside here at <3/share and this is welcome news. I really think the stock has a lot more potential to go higher.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
thesmokingman, monstercameron: There are some nice ways to fulfill that itch a bit while also following the somewhat oversimplified "let profits run" rule:
  • Scale out - sell parts of the whole investment over time.
  • Secure the initial investment - sell as much that you get your initial investment back or fulfills your initial expectations. Everything on top is at "0" risk. This could then be scaled out.
  • Securing #2: Put a stop somewhere, where even with some slippage there still is a gain. But the volatility will likely be higher over the next days, which is a risk for close stops.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
thesmokingman, monstercameron: There are some nice ways to fulfill that itch a bit while also following the somewhat oversimplified "let profits run" rule:
  • Secure the initial investment - sell as much that you get your initial investment back or fulfills your initial expectations. Everything on top is at "0" risk. This could then be scaled out.
  • Securing #2: Put a stop somewhere, where even with some slippage there still is a gain. But the volatility will likely be higher over the next days, which is a risk for close stops.
Good points. I dont have any "training" or much experience. All i know is buy low, sell high.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
This works, too. :) It's often just our own perfectionism trying to get the maximum out of something, while there is actually no chance - which in turn is hard to see with a hindsight bias.

yea im exactly like that. If i commit to sell at a 10% profit, i won't sell even at 9% and a week later sit there regretting it when the stock falls 3% - 4%:'( Case in point: Apple and Facebook over the past week!:'(

I'm calculating if i sold my facebook and apple this morning and piled it all in AMD at 9:30am....would've been a wonderful 17%-18% profit in one day....*sigh*

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006

Listen to the man and start doing #1 now.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
damn, AMD finished at 47% higher at the end of the day for a final bull run! I'm beating my head against the wall for not buying!!!!!

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
damn, AMD finished at 47% higher at the end of the day for a final bull run! I'm beating my head against the wall for not buying!!!!!

Nice, my wife woulda kicked my ass if I had sold. I told her when we bought it at 2 and change it would be for five years.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
~16½% of all AMD shares changed hands today. Quite amazing.

I don't know much about playing the stock market game... did so many shares change hands because so many people sold due to the jump in the stock's price? Who are the people who buy when it is high?