Amd SSD caching?

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by RobertPters77, Aug 11, 2011.

1. RobertPters77

RobertPters77 Senior member

With the release of BD looming, I am wondering if Amd will offer SSD caching?

And is it possible to somehow activate SSD caching on Amd systems already?

2. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

That would be a nice feature. I hope AMD figures out a way to implement that.

3. Jovec

Jovec Senior member

Even the Intel offering is purely a software solution from what I understand that is artificially restricted to the Z68. No reason AMD or another company/person can't write their own.

There are also hardware SSD cache devices such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...1&Tpk=hddboost

4. sm625

sm625 Diamond Member

If amd had any brains at all they would integrate an ssd controller and create a simple spec for 1-2 channel flash dimm. 16 ICs per dimm. Total bandwidth in the neighborhood of what 4 Gigabytes per sec? Real world write speeds 5 times a Vertex 3 with a tenth of the latency. Not to mention half the price. God it would be sick... ok for llano all they would need is a 4 channel ssd controller.

5. 86waterpumper

86waterpumper Senior member

haha amd will need to concentrate on making a decent sata controller before they worry with fancy stuff...for that matter a decent ahci driver would be nice

6. grimpr

grimpr Golden Member

7. RobertPters77

RobertPters77 Senior member

8. Vesku

Vesku Diamond Member

Didn't Windows Vista try to do this, anyone know if they left it in when they trimmed the Vista fat for Windows 7?

9. notty22

notty22 Diamond Member

If you are referring to readyboost its included in Win7, I don't know if it is robust enough to make a difference. It only runs off usb, or a flash drive in a memory card reader I believe.
    So what it does, it makes use of mainly fast response times, but any large files would transfer slow, at least with usb2.0
    A SSD hooked up over usb 3.0 should work better.
    I googled that , it seems readyboost disables itself when ssd present.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

10. sm625

sm625 Diamond Member

I helped design a ddr2 controller. I can tell you that getting ddr2/3 to work is a hell of a lot harder than a nand flash controller. If amd can do that they can easily do a nand controller. Wear leveling is an additional headache, but that is all software and not nearly as dependent on timing.

11. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

for a while i had readyboost running on my old kingston 40GB (intel G2). didn't notice a difference.

one of those nice USB3 native flash drives for readyboost might be a good upgrade if you've got USB3 and no SSD

does z68 ssd caching do anything if you've already got an SSD? iirc i read a review but don't remember the conclusion

12. Blue_Max

Blue_Max Diamond Member

No - the caching is to make a slow mechanical drive faster through the use of a SSD. Caching a SSD with another SSD would only see a miniscule performance gain IF the big one is slower and the little one is faster.

13. BD231

BD231 Diamond Member

Can we stop using the word robust in relation to computer parts or software here people? Feel like I'm at a damn coffee shop listening to a Barrista sell a cup of joe.

14. Meghan54

Meghan54 Diamond Member

Why? The term is quite applicable to what's being discussed.

If it bothers you, don't use it.