AMD Shipping 3 new PRO Workstation Video Cards

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Radeon™ Pro WX 4100 graphics card - The world's fastest low-profile workstation graphics GPU6
Available November 10 at US$399 MSRP, the Radeon™ Pro WX 4100 graphics cards delivers the exceptional performance CAD professionals are looking for in a sleek and quiet small form factor. The Radeon™ Pro WX 4100 graphics card is the first low-profile workstation graphics card to break the 2 TFLOPS single precision compute performance barrier, over 2.4X the performance of competing cards in its class while consuming nearly identical amounts of power.7 With 4GB of GDDR5 memory and 16 compute units (1024 stream processors), users can drive four 4K monitors or a single 5K monitor at 60 Hz, a feature which competing low-profile CAD focused cards in its class can't touch.

Radeon™ Pro WX 5100 graphics card - The fastest 75W TDP workstation GPU, ready for the game engine revolution8
Available November 18th at US$499 MSRP, the Radeon™ Pro WX 5100 graphics card is the fastest workstation card in its class, delivering up to a groundbreaking 3.9 TFLOPS of single precision compute performance while using just 75 watts of power. As game engines have become more commonplace in today's immersive computing era, integrating themselves alongside traditional design applications and proprietary renderers, professionals are demanding more powerful solutions. The Radeon™ Pro WX 5100 graphics card delivers the necessary performance in spades, with 8GB of GDDR5 memory and 28 compute units (1792 stream processors) for 41 percent faster performance in Siemens PLM Software NX™ than competing cards in its class9, and exceptional high-fidelity, high-resolution real-time visualization for key industries such as automotive and architecture.

Radeon™ Pro WX 7100 graphics card - The world's fastest single-slot workstation GPU10, ready for VR
Available November 10th at US$799 MSRP, the Radeon™ Pro WX 7100 graphics card delivers 5.7 TFLOPS of single precision floating point performance in a single slot, and is designed to meet the needs of professional VR content creators. Equipped with 8GB GDDR5 memory and 36 compute units (2304 Stream Processors) the Radeon Pro WX 7100 is a powerful graphics solution for high-quality visualization workloads, boasting up to 45 percent more performance than competing cards in its class in Dassault Systèmes SOLIDWORKS™ 2015.11 As VR usage continues to grow in design, manufacturing, media and entertainment workflows, the Radeon Pro WX 7100 delivers the performance needed to drive user experiences to new levels of immersion.

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2220116

Anandtech covered it here as well:

RPWX_Car_678x452.jpg

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10821/now-shipping-amd-radeon-pro-wx-series

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
Looks to me WX5100 offers the best price/performance ratio in Pro market ever. It is quite good for serious CAD work, yet quite affordable even for small companies and freelancers (especially when you compare it to software prices)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Non-workstation cards with these coolers might be interesting.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Non-workstation cards with these coolers might be interesting.

Yea the WX4100 LowProfile Single Slot Polaris 11 at 50W TDP is the perfect card for HTPCs and dGPU upgrades for SFF OEM systems.

There are tones of OEM SFF systems with iGPUs only that could be upgraded with those LowProfile cards and transformed in to 1080p gaming PCs.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
Yea the WX4100 LowProfile Single Slot Polaris 11 at 50W TDP is the perfect card for HTPCs and dGPU upgrades for SFF OEM systems.

There are tones of OEM SFF systems with iGPUs only that could be upgraded with those LowProfile cards and transformed in to 1080p gaming PCs.

You realize even the cheapest card is $399? These are definitely not for consumer applications (e.g. gaming or HTPC's).

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
You realize even the cheapest card is $399? These are definitely not for consumer applications (e.g. gaming or HTPC's).

He's saying a card in that small format would be beneficial for the market segment he mentioned.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
They are very nice professional cards at attractive price points. They pay for themselves very quickly (ROI).

Hard to compare these for home use as these are usually top binned & tested parts, use more expensive ECC memory, maintain per application certified drivers, and professional level customer support.

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
It depends on application. In most of them, there is the difference, since Pro cards are optimized to display more accurate/better models in openGL, while gaming card are made to be fast in DirectX (large FPS). They are also certified by software and hardware companies and you can get decent support. On the other hand, no one can guarantee gaming card will perform as it should be in professional application.

Autodesk based their software on DIrectX (e.g. Inventor), and gaming cards perform actually better (when it comes to large models and fast manipulation) then the pro. Though Autodesk still recommends Quadro and FirePro for their products. However, there might be some issues from time to time when using gaming cards.

I have used both professional and gaming card for CAD work, and have seen their good and bad sides. So I would say it's better to have proper tool for the job. Like power tools Bosch is offering - Blue for professionals, Green for DIY home users, though both could be used to to make hole in the wall :)

Prices is EU are quite good, I have to say, especially for RX 5100, as I mentioned earlier

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Company's money = Workstation GPU

Your money = Gaming GPU

I hate how they call these "Pro" GPUs though. I mean in 2016 we have "Pro" Macbooks that can't even have 32GB of RAM and a freaking "Pro" game console. That term means nothing.

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
I though the PRO series were a new range?? AFAIK,they are meant to be a cheaper alternative to the FirePro range as they target only a more limited range of software for support.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

TDP wise It can be replicated with a consumer card by setting it at same frequencies and voltages as those corporate versions, dunno if low profile already exist in the consumer market, though...

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
Of course both cards can run both openGL and DirectX software, but there's a difference in their optimization for certain applications. Separate drivers are made for that reason. Years ago, it was possible to "modify" Radeon to FirePro by some tweaks, but not any more. Regarding the name, they have changed naming from FirePro to Radeon Pro to strengthen the Radeon brand. And use WX instead of RX, as "Workstation" I suppose.

I'm currently using R9 380 4GB for CAD modeling in Autodesk Inventor. It's hard to explain our managers why it would be better to pay 2 or 3 times more for better card, when I can still do my job with this one. I'm sometimes also using Inventor on PCs with GeForce 940M and R7 260X. All these cards are usually good enough for the models I make, but very often I see some glitches, especially when making cross-section view of medium/large size assemblies.

Previously, I was using Catia V5 and nVidia Quadro (K1100M, and some other before that, can't remember which one exactly). And had no such or any other issues, even in more complex models. So it's either due to Quadro/FirePro vs GeForce/Radeon, or Dassault vs Autodesk differences. I believe it's the first one. Last time I used Inventor with Quadro card was 6 years ago, and I can't remember anything about performance and quality of that setup.

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
Yes, more or less. I can't be 100% sure, since I've never had opportunity to test gaming and pro cards on same machine and in same CAD application