AMD Sales surge 23% in 2Q16

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
The news sites are picking up on news AMD Sales have jumped 23% sequentially the last quarter. So looks like AMD is shipping product alright, just still not enough to satisfy demand yet. I'd guess even they didn't predict this massive type of demand for Polaris and derivative products. Looks like they are going in the right direction.

http://www.digitimes.com/pda/a20160817PR200.html

prtskg

Oct 26, 2015
It's long awaited node shrink. I'm sure Nvidia will have bumper sales growth too. It'll be nice to see what happens to their market share.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
This is posted in the AMD section, but I'll add nvidia came in at 4%.

The other companies that increased sales in the double digit % are Mediatek (32%!), Samsung, Qualcomm, TSMC, and Hynix UMC.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I doubt Polaris had anything to do with the increase in sales, considering RX 480 was only "available" 2 days in 2Q'16.

eRacer

Jun 14, 2004
This AMD news is almost a month old, and has nothing to do with Polaris. AMD claimed most of the gain was due to SoC (console) orders. Computing & Graphics (CPUs+GPUs) actually shrunk in Q2 compared to Q1, down from $460 million to $435 million.

AMD said:
Revenue of $1,027 million, up 23 percent sequentially and up 9 percent year-over-year primarily due to higher sales of semi-custom SoCs.

Reactions: Phynaz

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
hehe, yeah I was wondering about this "update." Pretty old news by the standard of financials.

Besides, Q3 is when we actually get to look at Polaris/Pascal sales.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
THIS is the source for the info in the article. It's from Aug 15. People can look at the data themselves.

bulletin20160815Fig01.png

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Yup, AMD's stock had a good rally passing the $7 mark following this announcement a few days ago.

Looks like the review sites have caught up on news now.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yup, AMD's stock had a good rally passing the $7 mark following this announcement a few days ago.

Looks like the review sites have caught up on news now.

and it briefly hit $8 yesterday and floated around the $7.70-7.90 range for half the day, closing at $7.62 or so. 330% up on YTD and 85% over the last 1.5 months.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
It's long awaited node shrink. I'm sure Nvidia will have bumper sales growth too. It'll be nice to see what happens to their market share.

Computerbase.de - August 20, 2016 - Google translate:

"On the basis of two analyzes by Mercury Research and Jon Peddie Research AMD today declared in advance that the market share in the discrete segment of the market has increased by 4.8 percent to 34.2 percent. These figures refer solely to numbers, not on related economic turnover, which is otherwise used in many studies.

In desktop alone climbed AMD's share to 29.9 percent, a rich growth of 7.3 percent. With Polaris, which has not even counted in this past quarter, but also the next-gen high-end graphics chip Vega AMD wants there down even further clear. Exact details about the other figures and analyzes of separate regions will follow in the coming days, if the market researchers publish their final reports."

2-1080.1849497135.jpg

3-1080.2473529060.jpg

Steam Hardware survey currently shows continuously declining AMD market share, now sitting at only 24.68%, or a massive ~10% discrepancy. This of course shouldn't be surprising for anyone who has monitored the Steam Hardware survey closely seeing some ludicrous results such as ancient 5-8 years old GPUs gaining market share.

Despite countless evidence that shows how grossly inaccurate Steam Hardware survey is, certain loyalists (you know of what brand) will continue to site it as an "accurate" representation of actual market share. Pretty remarkable that AMD has now reached almost 35% dGPU market share without Polaris 10/11 counting in. Looks like the consumers are responding favourably to AMD's excellent performance under DX12/Vulkan and/or they are simply fed up by the competitor's last 3+ consecutive generations aging so poorly compared to AMD's (at the purchase time) competing products. The competitor's nine series mid-range products have aged shockingly bad against a $280-300 R9 290X (aka 390X), which is to say nothing of the $700 flagship getting owned by a $400 Hawaii 290 card in 2016. Sooner or later the consumers will start to take notice.

perfrel_2560_1440.png

Last edited:
Reactions: prtskg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

correct me if I'm wrong, but market share is a 100% value and there are 2 players here (unless Intel is considered part of the market for discrete GPU now?), so if share of one goes up, what must obviously have to happen to market share for the other?

Reactions: GrQ

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
correct me if I'm wrong, but market share is a 100% value and there are 2 players here (unless Intel is considered part of the market for discrete GPU now?), so if share of one goes up, what must obviously have to happen to market share for the other?

His point was regarding sales growth, which I assume meant Revenue/Sales (top-line) growth, not market share growth. It's coming from doubling/more than doubling of prices across each tier level. Despite falling market share, the competitor will continue posting record revenue and net income due to rising ASP and gross margins approaching 60%. Anyway, this is going off-topic for the AMD section.

--

Good to see that AMD is slowly regaining back market share, as for the last 2+ years we've had to put up with nonsensical claims of certain posters on this forum that AMD will never go back up to past 20%. This is much needed for competition, although I would estimate that if Vega is actually competitive, AMD will have reason to severely undercut the competitor's products. As long as AMD's cards are faster under DX12/Vulkan, AMD would be able to price them at similar levels to the competition and sell well since the future is DX12/Vulkan games. The more DX12 games start coming out, the less relevant DX11 will be because it's hard to imagine high-end gamers spending $450-700 USD to play old games, of which the vast majority flies on a $250-300 tier card.

If mining continues to be strong at the time of Vega's launch, it's possible that RX 480 users will start migrating their rigs to Vega. This would create another wave of consumers for AMD that normally wouldn't buy new cards.

Last edited:

eRacer

Jun 14, 2004
Steam Hardware survey currently shows continuously declining AMD market share, now sitting at only 24.68%, or a massive ~10% discrepancy. This of course shouldn't be surprising for anyone who has monitored the Steam Hardware survey closely seeing some ludicrous results such as ancient 5-8 years old GPUs gaining market share.

Despite countless evidence that shows how grossly inaccurate Steam Hardware survey is, certain loyalists (you know of what brand) will continue to site it as an "accurate" representation of actual market share.
You are completely misinterpreting the Steam Survey results.

First, Steam isn't a measure of quarterly GPU shipments or quarterly discrete video card sales. It does not care when the video card or IGP it detects was bought. Even if AMD's Q2 market share had jumped to 75% it wouldn't have a huge impact on the overall Steam numbers. Using your logic one could also say Steam was vastly over-representing AMD's GPU popularity when their quarterly discrete GPU market share was under 20% last year.

Secondly, your statement that "AMD market share, now sitting at only 24.68%, or a massive ~10% discrepancy" is baseless as the overall percentage includes Intel's integrated graphics which have nothing to do with AMD vs. NVIDIA discrete sales. Once you back out Intel's integrated graphics percentage, then AMD's share is 30%. If you then subtract out AMD's IGP market share then you'll see AMD's discrete graphics share in Steam, rather coincidentally, matches up well with the Q2 2016 discrete graphics numbers.

Pretty remarkable that AMD has now reached almost 35% dGPU market share without Polaris 10/11 counting in. Looks like the consumers are responding favourably to AMD's excellent performance under DX12/Vulkan and/or they are simply fed up by the competitor's last 3+ consecutive generations aging so poorly compared to AMD's (at the purchase time) competing products. The competitor's nine series mid-range products have aged shockingly bad against a $280-300 R9 290X (aka 390X), which is to say nothing of the $700 flagship getting owned by a $400 Hawaii 290 card in 2016
Why did the sales for Computing & Graphics shrink in Q2 compared to Q1 if huge numbers of AMD customers were buying high-end AMD cards for DX12/Vulkan? Numbers of units don't tell us anything about the types of GPUs sold. For all we know the majority of unit growth was due to high discounts on low end parts which do little to raise revenue or profitability.

Last edited: