Question AMD Ryzen 5900X CPU Power Connect 8 pin or 8+4 pin use?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

candasulas

Sep 30, 2020
Hello to everyone. I'm using an Asus X570 Crosshair VIII motherboard with a Ryzen 9 5900X processor. My power supply is Corsair RM850X.
My question is;
My motherboard has 8 + 4 CPU power inputs. Would I have a problem if I don't plug in the +4 Pin power jack? I don't want to deal with cable mess. Corsair cables are thick and difficult to bend. Can I use it with only 8 pins without any problems?

I do not overclock my processor. Only PBO is active. In Auto setting.

I would be very happy if you give information.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The manual doesn't mention the obligation to wear both.
Install 8 pin cable for CPU power
Or optionally it says plug in 8 + 4 pin cable

Are you sure? I view it as it's saying don't be a dummy and just install the 4 pin....lol

It can be difficult to pass through and install 2 8pin CPU power cables when configuring the computer. The cables are too thick. I have a Cooler Master H500P Safe. And I have to run the power cables in the back top corner. I don't want it to be messy. So if only one 8 pin power cable is enough, I will not plug in the other.

I guess you could try it and see if it works out fine for you. I'll always tread on the side of caution and install both if the MB has the connectors. Needed or not? It's much easier to connect them during the build rather then later if you think you have a power delivery issue.

I have the same PSU and can relate to the stiff cables. The simple solution to overcome them is to just buy some extensions that are much more flexible. Connecting the extensions to the MB before you install it and routing as you do makes it easy.

If you go the extension route just make sure you pick ones that are 4+4 configuration so you'll only have to route the 4 on one of them. I bought these ones and they're pretty flexible and not bulky. Multiple color options if it's more of a cosmetic thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Are you sure? I view it as it's saying don't be a dummy and just install the 4 pin....lol

I guess you could try it and see if it works out fine for you. I'll always tread on the side of caution and install both if the MB has the connectors. Needed or not? It's much easier to connect them during the build rather then later if you think you have a power delivery issue.

I have the same PSU and can relate to the stiff cables. The simple solution to overcome them is to just buy some extensions that are much more flexible. Connecting the extensions to the MB before you install it and routing as you do makes it easy.

If you go the extension route just make sure you pick ones that are 4+4 configuration so you'll only have to route the 4 on one of them. I bought these ones and they're pretty flexible and not bulky. Multiple color options if it's more of a cosmetic thing.

This is a good suggestion just for the ease of install in general. I am going to take this into consideration in general, as depending on the case and PSU this can be nearly impossible with a HS installed.

I think if you are going to actually need all the juice adding an extra interconnection and longer cables is probably a consideration, but we know actual loads will almost always be way below max draw.