Question AMD Ryzen 3 3300X Stock availability

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Hi, back in May, I pre-order the AMD Ryzen 3 3300 X from B & H. However yet to see it. It has become Back-order from Pre-Order.
I have looked around on New-Egg, Amazon, and Micro center, seems like it is out of stock every where !
What is going on with this CPU ?
1598666517592.png
Is this a Phantom CPU ?

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
They're snapped up very fast. I'd keep the backorder but cancel once the 4000 lineup shows up. I know one person IRL who snapped one up. Don't know a single person online, personally, who bagged one.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Built my neighbor's son his first gaming rig last week and they had to settle for a 3100X.

Together with a Radeon 5600 XT it play's quite well @1080p high settings and @1440p medium settings

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Built my neighbor's son his first gaming rig last week and they had to settle for a 3100X.

Together with a Radeon 5600 XT it play's quite well @1080p high settings and @1440p medium settings
What is 3100X
I only knew about 3100 and 3100X
3100 has a multi CCD 2+2
3100X has a single CCD 4+0
So you pay extra for CCD efficiency for 3300X.
So did they came out new CPU ?
I wonder AMD is already killed it 3300X or they cooking up 3300XT ?

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
What is 3100X
I only knew about 3100 and 3100X
3100 has a multi CCD 2+2
3100X has a single CCD 4+0
So you pay extra for CCD efficiency for 3300X.
So did they came out new CPU ?
I wonder AMD is already killed it 3300X or they cooking up 3300XT ?

Oops my mistake, i meant 3100, Zen 2
The model launched along with the 3300X

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
It's essentially a reviewer special. It's a rare diamond that they tease the market with to impress people with it's performance. It's an afterthought product that they are just recovering product costs with.
If you're just chasing gaming performance with that purchase, sell the ryzen board you've got and just get the equivalent Intel I3 10th gen setup. It's similar money for similar performance, and you have a generational upgrade path available, just like Ryzen, and better gaming performance available with chip upgrades if you want.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
It's definitely a limited release SKU, Intel does this frequently as well (SE models and some others that are far lower volume than demand would allow). Micro Center Dallas got like 8 and 6, total. Lol. That's less than they got 9900KS or first wave 3900X.

It is a little bit of a PR stunt in a way, but it's just business to be fair. 3300X is not nearly the margin that other Zen2 products generally carry, so it doesn't make sense for AMD to make very many when they can dedicate those chiplets to more expensive models. A 3600 is not much more expensive at all and is a killer deal.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
It's definitely a limited release SKU, Intel does this frequently as well (SE models and some others that are far lower volume than demand would allow). Micro Center Dallas got like 8 and 6, total. Lol. That's less than they got 9900KS or first wave 3900X.

It is a little bit of a PR stunt in a way, but it's just business to be fair. 3300X is not nearly the margin that other Zen2 products generally carry, so it doesn't make sense for AMD to make very many when they can dedicate those chiplets to more expensive models. A 3600 is not much more expensive at all and is a killer deal.
If scannell is right though, all the OEMS snatched them for builds, and it makes sense, when they are due back in stock in Oct.

Reactions: Drazick

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Rocket lake will absolutely share a socket and platform with tenth gen. That's a well known fact. This Intel platform and the current AMD platform both have one more major generation coming. Again, published facts.

Existing available Intel i3s are of equivalent performance, within a few percent, and not a whole lot different in price when you compare board features at each price point.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Rocket lake will absolutely share a socket and platform with tenth gen. That's a well known fact. This Intel platform and the current AMD platform both have one more major generation coming. Again, published facts.

Existing available Intel i3s are of equivalent performance, within a few percent, and not a whole lot different in price when you compare board features at each price point.
Why don't you list the actual model numbers, and links to reviews that show they are equal. And the AMD model numbers that are equivalent.

Edit: SO I searched for reviews. The only one I found here:

Says its likely faster than the 9100, and when the 10th gen comes out they want to benchmark it, but nothing came up to view.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
If scannell is right though, all the OEMS snatched them for builds, and it makes sense, when they are due back in stock in Oct.

I want to be inclined to agree, and indeed some of that may indeed be true.

The truth remains holy hell, it's been ~3 months and OP is still waiting for one to pop up. I don't see a lot of 3300X systems showing up really anywhere either, it's all rather bizarre. We've seen TSMC 7nm improve further with age (Gamers Nexus notes the non XT die quality is noticeably better than launch era), and yields have been good. 3900/3950 availability solidified enough to meet demand a while back as well. It's all a bit mysterious. ~5 months is an absurd amount of time to wait for a pre-order to get filled, and B&H is a massive reseller, only really eclipsed by Amazon, Newegg, Alibaba, and AliExpress (B&H is a much larger supplier than Walmart for PC components, and I think is #3 in Apple's Mac reseller volume list!).

It doesn't speak of something that was either intended, or achieved, to have any notable volume in production. If the rest of the stack wasn't filled with arguably even better value, it would be more annoying, but the price for something better than a 3300X isn't much to ask, a 3600 is probably a better choice and not much more expensive.

Look at what a search for 3300X brings up on Amazon, the biggest etailer for this stuff in existence :

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Ryzen+3300x&ref=nb_sb_noss

No CPUs, not even third party, nor PCs.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Why don't you list the actual model numbers, and links to reviews that show they are equal. And the AMD model numbers that are equivalent.

Edit: SO I searched for reviews. The only one I found here:

Says its likely faster than the 9100, and when the 10th gen comes out they want to benchmark it, but nothing came up to view.

Games Nexus has compared them in depth. The i3 9100 is a 4C/4T part, and it was kind of garbage, but Intel didn't want to draw too much attention too quickly to how much they had been screwing their customers over all at once lol, so it was an improvement from the 2C/4T i3 of old.

The 10100 is considerably better than the 9100, being full 4C/8T, and indeed it's in the ballpark of a Ryzen 3100, better at gaming, worse at MT heavy stuff per the usual. However, as I believe Intel has absolutely garbage policies for everything but their K stuff, I would pick the 3100/3300 every time (if available lol). Because the locked 10th gen parts are capped at 2666 Ram on B and H series boards, capped at 2933 Ram on Z series boards (and who would ever combine a $120ish CPU on a Z Mobo???), and this cripples how damn good the little i3 could actually be unleashed. If they just dumped the locking of non K models, and instead released an OEM-only locked series for HP, Dell, Lenovo etc, while giving builders the freedom to use their products how they wanted, it would really help them out.

As it is, I have below zero % interest in a 10100, but if it were unlocked and they uncapped ram on non Z mobos, I could see 5+GHz 10100 being pretty fun with budget 3600 Ram.

I'm fairly sure when IBM sort of foundered out of the computer business, they sent the dustiest old crusty no fun allowed bags of crap over to ruin Intel haha.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Martimus

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Games Nexus has compared them in depth. The i3 9100 is a 4C/4T part, and it was kind of garbage, but Intel didn't want to draw too much attention too quickly to how much they had been screwing their customers over all at once lol, so it was an improvement from the 2C/4T i3 of old.

The 10100 is considerably better than the 9100, being full 4C/8T, and indeed it's in the ballpark of a Ryzen 3100, better at gaming, worse at MT heavy stuff per the usual. However, as I believe Intel has absolutely garbage policies for everything but their K stuff, I would pick the 3100/3300 every time (if available lol). Because the locked 10th gen parts are capped at 2666 Ram on B and H series boards, capped at 2933 Ram on Z series boards (and who would ever combine a $120ish CPU on a Z Mobo???), and this cripples how damn good the little i3 could actually be unleashed. If they just dumped the locking of non K models, and instead released an OEM-only locked series for HP, Dell, Lenovo etc, while giving builders the freedom to use their products how they wanted, it would really help them out.

As it is, I have below zero % interest in a 10100, but if it were unlocked and they uncapped ram on non Z mobos, I could see 5+GHz 10100 being pretty fun with budget 3600 Ram.

I'm fairly sure when IBM sort of foundered out of the computer business, they sent the dustiest old crusty no fun allowed bags of crap over to ruin Intel haha.
Not that I doubt you, but do you have any benchmarks showing how the 10100 compares to the 3100/3300 ? The reason I want to see benchmarks,. are, there are many people who will not believe it without those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drazick

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Not that I doubt you, but do you have any benchmarks showing how the 10100 compares to the 3100/3300 ? The reason I want to see benchmarks,. are, there are many people who will not believe it without those.

👍 No problem. As I doubt most want to go watch a half hour review, here's a couple of grabs on the Gamers Nexus comparison. Basically 3300X > 10100 > 3100, with no huge gap between any of them. However, the only budget boards for a 10th gen Intel will be trash 🗑️ in terms of future upgrade, you'd have to step up to a Z490 at $150ish at least to be able to get any decent upgrade in the future, wheres with the 3100, you'd be able to just go B450 or whatever and at least from reputable brands, be able to go to a 3700X, or even a Zen3 down the line probably.

At least the i3 is no longer outright horrible (2C/4T and 4C/4T are almost inexcusable for 2020). But far from exciting. It's hilarious self sabotage because a fully unlocked but otherwise identical 10100K and non crippled B series board would almost certainly be easy to hit 4.7-5Ghz all core sustained OC at reasonable power and heat (half a 10700K is what it is basically, and I have run a 9900K on a Noctua single 120mm air cooler at 5Ghz before).

But no, Intel is sort of blind to what the market wants, especially in the DIY crowd. Unlocking the full lineup would make it more likely for someone to choose the platform and upgrade later. As is, the only excuse for getting a 10100 is lack of $/perf alternatives in your region, for a cheap gaming box. It's like the Toyota Corolla of CPU. Sure it works, but it would put even a meth head to sleep in minutes.

Attachments

• USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1352912054.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1352912054.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 13
  • USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1096309590.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1096309590.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: guachi

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

I thought that RAM was totally uncapped on a "Z" series board, no matter what CPU that you put into it. Is that no longer the case with 10th-Gen, and even with a "Z" board, the lower-end i3 or maybe all non-K CPUs, are limited to DDR4-2933 RAM speeds?

I've long believed that the "Z" boards should allow OCing both RAM and CPU multi, of ALL CPUs of that generation, and the boards with the chipset just under the "Z" boards, in this case, the "H470", should allow RAM overclocking, without arbitrarily limits.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I thought that RAM was totally uncapped on a "Z" series board, no matter what CPU that you put into it. Is that no longer the case with 10th-Gen, and even with a "Z" board, the lower-end i3 or maybe all non-K CPUs, are limited to DDR4-2933 RAM speeds?

I've long believed that the "Z" boards should allow OCing both RAM and CPU multi, of ALL CPUs of that generation, and the boards with the chipset just under the "Z" boards, in this case, the "H470", should allow RAM overclocking, without arbitrarily limits.
Intel stopped mobo makers from offering OC features on non-Z boards years ago. They recently cracked down on memory speeds for non-Z boards, too. Running mem speeds outside what the CPU is verified at is considered overclocking, because it it.