AMD Ryzen 3 3100 Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Socket AM4 65W 100-100000284BOX Desktop Processor $109.99 AP ($5) @ Newegg (Limit 1 per customer)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
AMD Ryzen 3 3100 Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Socket AM4 65W 100-100000284BOX Desktop Processor $114.99

Promo: EMCDRGK22

Interesting to see that one of their harder-to-find CPUs is on ShellShocker. Must have a decent qty. of them? Limit 1 per customer, anyways. Hopefully they'll last.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Wow, in stock. Decent price too, considering the 3600s are now going for $200 or more.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
These are supposed to be selling for $99. lol

Oh well, I need another Ryzen so I'd better get one of these before they become so scarce they're priced at $150. That's what happened to the Ryzen 5 1600 AF processors which were supposed to be $85.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
These are supposed to be selling for $99. lol
Yeah, tell me about it... most of the time, they were selling for $129.99 from Newegg. Maybe they're trying to beat B&H.

Edit: The promo code has expired, now they are just $114.99. Hmm. Debating.

These are 4C/8T right, not 4C/4T? Not as good as the "mythical" (at this point) 3300X, which does not have the cross-CCX latency penalty.

I believe that the 1600AF ranks higher for games than the 3100, but then the 3300X is higher still (for games).

This is practically the cheapest Ryzen (at least, Zen2-based) right now. Still decent (for NOW) for gaming builds, so I hear, but I wonder if in a year or more, console ports will require 8C/16T Zen2 at a minimum.

Edit: WTH. In for one.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Yeah, tell me about it... most of the time, they were selling for $129.99 from Newegg. Maybe they're trying to beat B&H.

Edit: The promo code has expired, now they are just $114.99. Hmm. Debating.

These are 4C/8T right, not 4C/4T? Not as good as the "mythical" (at this point) 3300X, which does not have the cross-CCX latency penalty.

I believe that the 1600AF ranks higher for games than the 3100, but then the 3300X is higher still (for games).

This is practically the cheapest Ryzen (at least, Zen2-based) right now. Still decent (for NOW) for gaming builds, so I hear, but I wonder if in a year or more, console ports will require 8C/16T Zen2 at a minimum.

Edit: WTH. In for one.
Still a nice CPU at $109, that is only a 10 percent markup over MSRP. And I would not worry too much about 8/16. I surmise there will continue to be a few games each year, that bully lower end hardware. But the vast majority will still cater to the lowest common denominator. Same reason Sony is going to bring more 1st party games to PC; can't leave money on the table. There are better budget choices perhaps, but not so much, when you consider upgrade path.

gibster

Jan 18, 2002
Just a heads up, MicroCenter has it for $99.99, as long as you can drive and pick it up...
Speaking of deals, the Ryzen 5 1600 was quite a deal back in the day (maybe a couple of years ago), they could not get rid of them for $80 at MicroCenter, now the price was pumped up to $160+, because they are scarce, LOL. I picked one up back then, it's still awesome :D

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
I got one for $99 plus tax at Microcenter last week (plus a few dollars for gas). They're still listed at that price but they're sold out in every store I checked. Feel free to tell us where they're still available. It's a moot point to me since I'm not driving out of state to get one.

gibster

Jan 18, 2002
I got one for $99 plus tax at Microcenter last week (plus a few dollars for gas). They're still listed at that price but they're sold out in every store I checked. Feel free to tell us where they're still available. It's a moot point to me since I'm not driving out of state to get one.

5 in stock in the Denver store as of today...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm not sure what the point of that post is, but yes, the 3300X is MUCH harder to find in-stock... anywhere.

But the 3100 is the cheapest Zen2 CPU that you can find, that is still suitable for gaming.

Reactions: schizoid_man

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
I'm not sure what the point of that post is, but yes, the 3300X is MUCH harder to find in-stock... anywhere.

But the 3100 is the cheapest Zen2 CPU that you can find, that is still suitable for gaming.
It's good enough chip.
I thought you were implying 3100 is harder come by just like 3300x.
So I was shocked to know 3100 is rare chip.
That was the point of the post.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I never said that the 3100 is a "rare" chip, I don't know how you read that into this thread. It's $15 off it's "normal" price @ Newegg (and Amazon), so by my definition, that constitutes a deal. And AM4 Ryzen CPU in general have been in shorter supply lately. Not as "unavailable" as the 3300X, but still, they go out of stock often, and this time, it seems like they had qty. of them.

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
I wouldn't quibble with the word "rare" but a lot of processors are in low supply these days. Suppliers jack up their prices when parts are hard to find, so if you want one, you have to pay more.

I started with a first gen Ryzen 5 1600. I started building the PC but I couldn't install Windows 7 on the NVMe SSD so I put off the project for months. (I was reluctant to deal with the Windows 10 Experience.) Then Microcenter was selling the Ryzen 5 2600X for $99 so I got one of those. I wasn't happy with the Wraith Spire cooler because I prefer a quiet computer. The fan was much quieter when I set it to run in "Silent Mode" but I got nervous when HWMonitor reported that it uses 112W under full load with Prime95. Is that right? So then I tried to get a second gen Ryzen 5 1600 "AF" processor but they were hard to find and the price kept going up. I finally got a Ryzen 3 3100 since I figured a Zen2 with four cores at 3.8GHz should be plenty of power for my needs. The Wraith Stealth cooler is a little louder than I expected and I was surprised that a 7nm CPU draws 67W under full load according to HWMonitor. Can that be right? That's more actual wattage than a 22nm Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770. Maybe the readings I'm seeing aren't accurate. Does anyone have figures of their own?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, to put Win7 64-bit on NVMe, you need to take a Win7 ISO, and use the Gigabyte Win7 installer tool, to make a Win7 USB installer, with the USB3.0 and NVMe driver (there's one for AMD and one for Intel USB3.0 drivers).

When I first installed Win7 64-bit on an PCI-E SSD, I used one of the (now rare) Samsung PCI-E AHCI M.2 SSDs. They install with the standard AHCI drivers in Win7 64-bit. Those are hard to find these days. But that Gigabyte tool would have gotten you going.

As far as power usage, yeah, it's not too surprising. Intel's desktop chips are actually made from chips designed for mobile. AMD's desktop CPUs (AM4 Zen2) are derived from CPU chiplets designed for servers. Also, the AMD AM4 Zen2 CPU is doing quite a bit MORE work than a 3770. (Isn't that a 95W TDP CPU??? So I think that your estimation is a bit off, in comparison.) BTW, the 3770 doesn't have AVX2 support, which PrimeGrid/Prime95 (worst-case scenario for power usage) uses.

schizoid_man

Sep 15, 2020

yeah. one should try to get 3300X if he can stretch his budget a bit. if the latency hit (2+2 CCX layout) is too much. but i will be happy with 3100

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
As far as power usage, yeah, it's not too surprising. Intel's desktop chips are actually made from chips designed for mobile. AMD's desktop CPUs (AM4 Zen2) are derived from CPU chiplets designed for servers. Also, the AMD AM4 Zen2 CPU is doing quite a bit MORE work than a 3770. (Isn't that a 95W TDP CPU??? So I think that your estimation is a bit off, in comparison.) BTW, the 3770 doesn't have AVX2 support, which PrimeGrid/Prime95 (worst-case scenario for power usage) uses.
32nm quad core Sandy Bridge processors were rated at 95W but 22nm quad core Ivy Bridge processors were rated at 77W. Just to give an example, the Core i5 3470 is rated at 77W but actually draws about 50-55W under full load. The "low power" variants were usually rated at 65W or less. For example. the Core i5 3475S (running at a base speed 300MHz lower but still going up to 3.6GHz in Turbo Mode) actually draws less than 45W under full load. I can use a quiet low-RPM cooling fan like the Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 Pro with them (I still have one or two new ones in the box, hehe). Haswell put an integrated voltage regulator on the die which makes them run hotter, so even the Intel coolers that are included in the retail box can't keep them cool under full load. Skylake wasn't any better (the quad core Core i5 6500 is rated at 65W but actually consumes about 67W under full load).

I never knew much about Ryzen processors. I've been using old Ivy Bridge systems up to the present day, hehe. When my nephew was 13 he was interested in building his own computer and he was "sold" on the Ryzen so we got him a Ryzen 3 1200 from Microcenter and an open-box motherboard (already discounted) along with the $20-30 combo discount, whatever it was at that time. I also gave him a couple of old Core 2 Duo systems to play with since he likes to take things apart but isn't so good at putting them back together. And let's not even talk about avoiding malware, lol. Power consumption and noise were not my top concerns. He wanted six case fans, so I said sure why not. He even found a way to add an extra one with a case mod. Reminds me of a lot of middle age guys I know. Power, power, more fans. :)

Anyway, I just expected better from AMD and 7nm CPUs. You say (in so many words) a processor released in 2020 does a lot more work per cycle than a processor released eight years ago and has new processor features. Well yeah, I kind of expected that. :) Why else would I be upgrading. But 67W for their lowest end chip and no onboard graphics? Hmm. I'll just say I'm glad they provide a good cooling fan which gets the job done, when you can't always count on Intel.

Last edited: