AMD Roy Taylor "GK110 is not something which was designed to be a gfx"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
They really should have called this the Nvidia Epic.

Epic Price
Epic Size
Epic Fail.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Poor Roy. After working at Nvidia he must still be in a state of shock at the difference in competence of management between the two companies.

He does sound pissed. I am guessing he was up for some huge promotion at NV and didn't get it so he called AMD and they offered him way more $ and he booked it. Those employees are the best to hire because they have a vendetta against their former employer and will work twice as hard to bring them down when they switch sides. :biggrin:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
He does sound pissed. I am guessing he was up for some huge promotion at NV and didn't get it so he called AMD and they offered him way more $ and he booked it. Those employees are the best to hire because they have a vendetta against their former employer and will work twice as hard to bring them down when they switch sides. :biggrin:

He can work 4 times harder and it wont matter with the level of idiocy in the management surrounding him at AMD.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

If thats teh case, then he is more a liability than an asset.

And looking on his comments, I expect he will have a short career at his current job.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

Epic Price
Epic Size
Epic Fail.

LMAO. Epic hate much?

Epic Price? For sure. 100% agreed.
Size is an issue? Why?
Epic performance for a single GPU. That's what it is.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Coordinator: "your next question comes from [journalist A], go ahead."

[journalist A]: "Yeah, just one last question on Titan, and a fairly pointed question. Do you concede that in a couple of weeks' time, you probably won't have the single fastest GPU in graphics?"

Roy: "How can we possible concede to what actually hasn't been delivered?"

[journalist A]: "Obviously, you know a fair bit of what's going on, do you believe that in a couple of weeks you'll still have the fastest single GPU? Let's flip the question around."
Darren: "I think what matters for end users, is the graphics card. And that's what ASUS' ARES II delivers. I see absolutely no threat to the ARES II's market position right now…"

[journalist A] (interrupting): "…with all due respect, I'm not asking that question about the world's fastest graphics card. I'm asking about the world's fastest single-GPU graphics card?"

Roy: "I don't think we can comment until we've seen it. Based on what we know so far, I don' think that this (GeForce Titan) is a threat to our business."

Stuff like this really pisses me off.

Nvidia are presenting a very strong single GPU solution in to the market and some gamers want that, after the 5970 I won't be going back to dual GPU solutions, it's just not a great gaming experience and it's not worth the effort to get it working "smoothly".

So I'm extremely interested in things like the single fast-as-hell GPUs that deliver huge performance, I want to know what AMDs answer to the titan will be.

They avoid the question, the caller then re-words it so they can't worm out of it, and they do anyway. And then they leave off with a comments which DOES NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION, saying it's not a threat to their business is not what was asked.

I'd have much more respect if they simply said, we don't know solid figures yet but it's possible the Titan will take the single GPU performance crown, we have no intention to respond with an equivalent product until late 2013 or 2014.

The answer they gave just makes me mad, I'm not a fanboy of either camp, and sure Nvidia do this as well, I'm so sick of it, just zero fucking respect. It's obvious they're squirming in their pants over possible competition, just be bloody honest for once.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
They avoid that question like the Ebola virus. Like any PR guy would I suppose.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

Epic Price
Epic Size
Epic Fail.

Da hell is this? A product is a failure because you don't want to buy it? I'd hate to see your reaction if a girl turns you down, woof!

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
It's nice to know what AMD's strategy is though. It will be interesting to see how their mature drivers, their hardware strengths, much more aggressive developer relations, impressive game bundles effect the market place in 2013.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Every time I glance VC&G, Roy's statement reads like:

GK110 - that which is not of this world

Like we are dealing with Progenitor Cores or at least HAL 9000...

once again great marketing... in opposite direction

Last edited:

Ibra

Oct 17, 2012

Epic Price
Epic Size
Epic Fail.

This dude is hilarious.

QQ mode activated:

I have no job, no money, I get AMD cards from junkyard because my mom working in red light district for free.

AMD fanboys are vultures. You can't expect cheap Titans when competitor gives rebrands. :awe:

Stop your trolling. Continuing to post only your anti-AMD sentiments at every turn will result in your being removed.

This is a video card forum not an anti-AMD forum

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
This dude is hilarious.

QQ mode activated:

I have no job, no money, I get AMD cards from junkyard because my mom working in red light district for free.

AMD fanboys are vultures. You can't expect cheap Titans when competitor gives rebrands. :awe:

Wait, are you trying to say that nVidia doesnt rebrand? They rebrand cards every single year, just like AMD. Just go look up the GT620 for the most recent entry.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Wait, are you trying to say that nVidia doesnt rebrand? They rebrand cards every single year, just like AMD. Just go look up the GT620 for the most recent entry.

He's a severe fan who looks forward to AMD fan suicides according to him.
Needs a bit of help, methinks.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

54 posts and every single one of those is loaded with NV fanboy propaganda or dissing AMD at any opportunity. What was the point of you joining our forum again? :colbert: They are plenty of other places for you to join like Semi-Accurate or Fudzilla if all you ever intend to post are comments related to AMD fanboys and taking jabs at them. Plenty of forum members disagree with each other here but they don't troll at every opportunity.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
Quoted from the interview
I see absolutely no threat to the ARES II's market position right now…

What market position? There's a thousand of them and I just checked Newegg and it says, "OUT OF STOCK". The only market Ares II has right now is the USED market as far as I can tell.

Are they hoping to float on the back of the <1000 consumers with Ares II in their machines as hype for the company?

Quit deflecting and trying to point at Ares II. It's about pointless to bring it up.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
This dude is hilarious.

QQ mode activated:

You get the award for best 5th grade insult of the week D:

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
Wise? PR? I'm not seeing it!

To me, it looks like they got the people asking the questions off of their back for that immediate moment. People will then realize later how silly it all sounds to keep deflecting to Ares II and its market. What market?

Jedi Hand Wave,

"Titan, it's not the card you're looking for."

Oh well, what card am I looking for? ---->>>> *points* Ares II market

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
and he maybe had a hand full of wood screws in his pocket also ,can't trust anyone.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
The Titan looks pretty good for the prosumer market, mainly just because of 6GB of ram. Might be very useful for Adobe products...

I don't see how nvidia can sell this without cutting into quadro or tesla sales.

Still, not a market AMD really needs to address, I don't think the $1000 video card market is high volume enough to really matter, this is just the tail end of nvidia's business market.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
I found the constant reference to Ares II pathetic to be honest... Like others said, these are the kind of replies you would expect from Nvidia

I mean, sure Titan might not compete with anything AMD has in price/performance, but they specifically asked "Do you acknowledge Nvidia will have the fastest single gpu card? Yes/No?" and they still refused to answer, wow

Not sure how this is good PR in any way, makes them look like a bunch of idiots