AMD RMA question

Link

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2000
I just fried my brand new AXP2000+ because I didn't set the heatsink/fan on properly.
It's a retail version.
Can I RMA the cpu?

WerewolfX

Jul 26, 2001
Unfortunately it is very unlikely that you can RMA it. If there is very little phsical damage IE big burn mark in the corner of your CPU die. Then maybe but the only way to find out is giving it a shot. Good Luck.

Kingofcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2000
of course, you paid more for retail, the manufacturer has taken user-error into their cost, they're happy to give a replacement within the warranty period upon request.

CheapTOFU

Mar 7, 2002
Sorry to say.. but RMA'ing AMD or Intel cpus are almost impossible...
I always thought so too... but it seems they only like to support big companies with thousands of PCs with their CPUs...

If you try, they will make you call a long distance # and then, if you actually call, they make you wait an hour.. (very expensive call)
and when you wait, they will ask you to fax a proof of purchase (receipt) and then when you actually fax it to them,
they tell you to wait 7 - 14 days for email from them.. (which I never got).. and then, they want you to send the CPU to them.
if you do that, they will say they will check.. it will be cheaper to buy a new faster CPU than trying to RMA'ing it

Total, I spent about $40 trying to RMA'ing it... and it was duron.... durons are cheap.. less than $40

Also I know about Intel too.. since I had done it before...

Intel and AMD don't care about 1 person!!

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: CheapTOFU
Sorry to say.. but RMA'ing AMD or Intel cpus are almost impossible...
I always thought so too... but it seems they only like to support big companies with thousands of PCs with their CPUs...

If you try, they will make you call a long distance # and then, if you actually call, they make you wait an hour.. (very expensive call)
and when you wait, they will ask you to fax a proof of purchase (receipt) and then when you actually fax it to them,
they tell you to wait 7 - 14 days for email from them.. (which I never got).. and then, they want you to send the CPU to them.
if you do that, they will say they will check.. it will be cheaper to buy a new faster CPU than trying to RMA'ing it

Total, I spent about $40 trying to RMA'ing it... and it was duron.... durons are cheap.. less than $40

Also I know about Intel too.. since I had done it before...

Intel and AMD don't care about 1 person!!

Link, I'm not posting to dispute CheapTOFU's experience, but on my last AMD issue, an old K7 w/ a dying HS Fan, I called the number, gave the requested info, and they sent me a replacement HS Fan via FedEx [Next Day Air] at no cost to me, just my expierence in dealing w/ AMD, hope this helps :)

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
I've RMA'd both AMD and Intel processors in the past and the process was quite painless.