AMD Radeon HD 7990 Launch Date Revealed

Will AMD fix CF issues by this release date?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Market launch of AMD's Radeon HD 7990 "Malta" dual-GPU graphics card is less than a week away, according to an OCaholic report. Sources told the publication that AMD plans to launch its flagship graphics card on the 24th of April, 2013. According to it, reviews of the card should already be underway. AMD Radeon HD 7990 is the company's flagship graphics card, featuring a pair of 28 nm "Tahiti" GPUs. According to specifications derived from older reports, it packs a total of 4096 stream processors, and 6 GB of GDDR5 memory across two 384-bit wide memory interfaces. What sets this card apart from the HD 7990 "New Zealand" launched last year by AMD's partners is the power-optimizations AMD put into it, leaving the card to draw power from "just" two 8-pin PCIe power connectors, and make do with a dual-slot cooling solution.

http://www.techpowerup.com/182879/AMD-Radeon-HD-7990-Launch-Date-Revealed.html

ALIVE

Golden Member
May 21, 2012
Market launch of AMD's Radeon HD 7990 "Malta" dual-GPU graphics card is less than a week away, according to an OCaholic report. Sources told the publication that AMD plans to launch its flagship graphics card on the 24th of April, 2013. According to it, reviews of the card should already be underway. AMD Radeon HD 7990 is the company's flagship graphics card, featuring a pair of 28 nm "Tahiti" GPUs. According to specifications derived from older reports, it packs a total of 4096 stream processors, and 6 GB of GDDR5 memory across two 384-bit wide memory interfaces. What sets this card apart from the HD 7990 "New Zealand" launched last year by AMD's partners is the power-optimizations AMD put into it, leaving the card to draw power from "just" two 8-pin PCIe power connectors, and make do with a dual-slot cooling solution.

http://www.techpowerup.com/182879/AMD-Radeon-HD-7990-Launch-Date-Revealed.html

what?!?!?! it is allready for sell here
for a week or so

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
what?!?!?! it is allready for sell here
for a week or so

Different card. Malta is going to be the dual Tahiti reference design. The Devil 13 is a custom design by Powercolor.

138a.jpg

Only time will tell if it'll be appreciably different, or not.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

Assuming it really is an engineering sample they are notorious for having varying specs from the actual reference designs. It's one way that suppliers catch people leaking info.

This could actually just be a retailer trying to beat the commercial release and seeing what the market will pay for it. I suppose it could even be AMD test marketing for RRP value? Who knows for sure?

I'm just throwing out possibilities here. ;)

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
What i really want to know is if AMD can get around CF issues by this launch. I hope they don't rush this and release something just to beat Nv for single card performance crown (in a few games while loosing others)

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I voted that I don't think they'll have crossfire fixed by then. When you consider how long these issues have existed I'll be real surprised if they can fix it so quickly (easily?). Unless the memory rewrite they've been working on addresses it? They're actually a bit overdue on when they thought they'd have that fixed. I think the original ETA for that was Feb-Mar.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I voted that I don't think they'll have crossfire fixed by then. When you consider how long these issues have existed I'll be real surprised if they can fix it so quickly (easily?). Unless the memory rewrite they've been working on addresses it? They're actually a bit overdue on when they thought they'd have that fixed. I think the original ETA for that was Feb-Mar.

I thought it was June-July...?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
AMD themselves said they are shooting to fix the issue in summer. This card is releasing well before.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
It blows my mind that this card is being released now. This would have been interesting like, a year ago. That's assuming, of course, that there isn't something under the hood fundamentally changed with the Malta cores as compared to the Tahiti XT - however, I highly suspect that the Malta is the same chip.

Last edited:

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
If this is precisely the same as the current 7970x2's and there is no driver fix then it would be a total fail (unless super cheap) imo. I agree fully, that over a year later and nothing new would suck. At least it's not long anymore if it's coming next week.

Honestly I don't see any reason to release said chip if it's just a 7970x2 and no price drop or new drivers.

I'm still on the fence if it's really CGN 1.2 or whatever they call 7790 the respin.

Then again, NV brought out the titan which brought nothing new $/performance wise, actually it decreased value except in limited situations. (Yeah it removes SLI hassles, but supposedly there are so few).

Voted yes, because either new drivers, or more performance, or a lower price had better come with the 7990. Drivers are the most likely because they claimed nothing higher then the cards they have now, and a lower price is perhaps less significant than drivers? (Not sure I actually believe they will improve them by next week, but they've certainly had a lot of time)

Last edited:

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
It blows my mind that this card is being released now. This would have been interesting like, a year ago.

Well that was the initial plan

amd-radeon-7990-2.jpg

but this guy thought otherwise.

Mr Rory later commented that getting the new node products ASAP, as opposed to getting it right is the thing of the past for AMD.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
I don't really see any point releasing this card if they're not fixing CF.

I don't really have any hope left for AMD so I voted "no". Anyway I'd like to be wrong on this one.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
LOL the current bid is at $6,450 with 77 bids,for that money you can buy 4x Titans,a new psu and a 27'' 2560x1440 u2712m monitor then have change left over.
Doesn't AMD have rights to that "engineering sample"?:wub:

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
some of you obviously can not read. thead is one topic. poll is a different topic.