AMD Radeon HD 6970 already benchmarked? Enough to beat GTX480 in Tesselation?

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
From Hexus: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=27110

Now that AMD's Radeon 6800-series GPUs are out in the wild, the rumour mill has turned its attention to the next card expected to come from the boys and girls in red - the HD 6970.

While we don't have any specs for the chip - codenamed Cayman XT - a post on zol.com claims to have obtained performance figures for the video card. Running through 3DMark Vantage in performance mode, the supposed HD 6970 scored a respectable 23,499. Meanwhile, the card managed to get through the Unigine Heaven benchmark at 36.6fps at 1,920x1,080px with 4x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering.

According to the source, a GTX 480 on the same platform scored 21,106 in 3DMark and ran the Unigine benchmark at 29.5fps, while an HD 5870 managed 19,337 and 17.3, respectively.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
thats not really that impressive <.< the 6870s also score higher in Unigine benchmark, than the 460s, that sites compair them too.

Id almost say Id me more surprised if they (6950-6970) didnt beat the 480s in tessellation (in unigine 2.0).

We ll any news about the 69xx have my attention so, thanks for posting.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Here... we... go.

Another month and a half of rumors. Maybe these will be more accurate. It's best to reserve any kind of judgment until AMD officially speaks on the subject.

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
I doubt the 6970 will beat the 480 in tessalation. You gotto give that one to Nvidia. Ill be VERY surprised if i see HD6970 beat the GTX480 in tesselation.

It will BEAT it in basicly every other benchmark, but not in tesselation. OH, and not in Hawx2 cause i heard "Nvidia trew Ubisoft a party and went to bed with her too". lol :D

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
At this point i doubt it too. GTX 480 is awesome in tesselation but AMD might just do it. They're aware they behind right now and since they decided to go all out with Cayman who knows.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Here... we... go.

Another month and a half of rumors. Maybe these will be more accurate. It's best to reserve any kind of judgment until AMD officially speaks on the subject.

Sooner than you think ;)

Expect to see the 6970 on the shelves in 3 to 4 weeks.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
There is speculation on Chiphell of a difference in tessellation hardware design in the 6970, I can't make sense of the translated output beyond AMD's slide.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.chiphell.com/thread-131577-1-1.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dchiphell%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1847%26bih%3D1288%26prmd%3Dfd&rurl=translate.google.ca&usg=ALkJrhhlpexGyixwcfNhEdWVhF1YHfTHlA

tess_small.png

This suggests a difference will be present in how the 68XX series and 69XX series performs tessellation. Considering the 6970/6950 will be the new flagships, the conclusion is something will be improved in their tessellation hardware.

We'll see next month!

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
There is speculation on Chiphell of a difference in tessellation hardware design in the 6970, I can't make sense of the translated output beyond AMD's slide.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.chiphell.com/thread-131577-1-1.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dchiphell%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1847%26bih%3D1288%26prmd%3Dfd&rurl=translate.google.ca&usg=ALkJrhhlpexGyixwcfNhEdWVhF1YHfTHlA

tess_small.png

This suggests a difference will be present in how the 68XX series and 69XX series performs tessellation. Considering the 6970/6950 will be the new flagships, the conclusion is something will be improved in their tessellation hardware.

We'll see next month!

Isnt nVs tessellator also scalable?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I would hope it beats the previous gen in pretty much everything, or it is a failure.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
6970 and 6950 will come out together, 6990 should be December.

There have been many links about this and confirmations from AMD etc.

Sorry, I guess I've lost track of time. End of November is what I've been hearing too; hard to believe that is only 4 weeks away.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
If its true that AMDs 6970 gets a scalable tessellator like nvidia... wow.

they fixed their crossfire, their AA/texture filtering, and their tessellator? plus they got in blueray 3d.

To me it seems like AMD is trying to patch things up, to match up better with nvidia.
Amd engineers must be on crack (or something), working day and night to do things like this.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
I'd say it's almost too much of a coincidence that after this recent talk of tessellation, the leaked benchmark of 6970 happens to be a tessellation-oriented benchmark...
That's just too convenient.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
If its true that AMDs 6970 gets a scalable tessellator like nvidia... wow.

Yeah, that is pretty impressive. It only took ATI eight generations of building tessellators to supposedly catch up to NVIDIA's first gen tessellator. Seriously, didn't ATI provide most of the tessellation specs for DX11? It just seems to me that tessellation should be AMD's thing, instead they're playing catch up. I'm a little confused by that.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'd say it's almost too much of a coincidence that after this recent talk of tessellation, the leaked benchmark of 6970 happens to be a tessellation-oriented benchmark...

???

So what are you implying anyways? AMD's been reading the boards? Somebody made the chart up? AMD is doing viral marketing like Nvidia does?

The increase in performance seems reasonable to me. Not sure why you'd think it's possible for only Nvidia to make improvements in tesselation and not AMD. I'd think that the performance gains going from 58xx > 69xx will be greater than the gains from 57xx > 68xx

Trying to stay nuetral is hard but with some tounge biting while typing it's possible!

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
So what are you implying anyways? AMD's been reading the boards?

No need to... the discussions on the boards were sparked by AMD's recent anti-tessellation offensive.

Somebody made the chart up?

Always possible with rumours.

AMD is doing viral marketing like Nvidia does?

That is a fact.

Not sure why you'd think it's possible for only Nvidia to make improvements in tesselation and not AMD.

Did I say anything even remotely like that? I don't think I did.

Trying to stay nuetral is hard but with some tounge biting while typing it's possible!

Yea, people like you are so horribly biased towards AMD that you see enemies everywhere.
I'm the most neutral guy on the planet. Anyone who's known me for more than a few years will know.

Personal insults are not acceptable.

Re: "Yea, people like you are so horribly biased towards AMD that you see enemies everywhere."

Moderator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008

I'd say you put far too much stock in the ramblings of some people on this forum or some youtube postings about tessellation and its effect on AMD's design goals and how they conduct themselves. Really putting any stock in it at all is way off the barometer of reason. Safe bet they're not even aware or concerned with any of that.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
I'd say you put far too much stock in the ramblings of some people on this forum

I was talking about AMD's talk of tessellation.
Don't you remember those nice slides they made, of how you shouldn't use smaller than 16-pixel triangles, because the rasterizer wouldn't like it, and all that?

But nice that you managed to turn it into yet another personal attack.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yea, people like you are so horribly biased towards AMD that you see enemies everywhere.
I'm the most neutral guy on the planet. Anyone who's known me for more than a few years will know.

You need to take off the green shades....I don't see anything in my post that makes me biased towards AMD....Except my sig. All I did was ask for your opinion, clarification of what you meant by your statement.

It's a possiblility that the chart is a fake....We'll all see soon enough if it's true or not.

Personal insults are not acceptable.

Re: "You need to take off the green shades"

Moderator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

Leadbox

Oct 25, 2010
Yeah, that is pretty impressive. It only took ATI eight generations of building tessellators to supposedly catch up to NVIDIA's first gen tessellator. Seriously, didn't ATI provide most of the tessellation specs for DX11? It just seems to me that tessellation should be AMD's thing, instead they're playing catch up. I'm a little confused by that.

When I first heard of the Hawx II fiasco before I saw the benchies, my first thoughts were the game is only playable on Nvidia HW. I thought AMD was getting like late teens, low 20s type framerates to Nvidia ~30+, then I saw that the 5770 could get 40 fps at at 19X12 res with 8AA.
The point being, we're not there yet, it will be a wee while before it becomes the difference maker. We on the PC are stuck with console ports with slapped on tessellation for good while yet