AMD R9 390 issue

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
My PC has some weird issues, usually stable but hangs on certain activities.

I recently re-installed windows so I need to install my GPU driver.

When I run the AMD driver installer, it freezes the PC. When I look in the dive manager, it only sees the generic windows driver, not AMD. When I click it to update the driver, it runs a little while and hangs.

When I tell device manager to look for a new plug and play GPU, it hangs.

Any idea how to get it to add the card or manually install the driver? (It ran before. I remember it hanging in the driver install when I first built it, but I think I found a way around it I can't remember.)

When I run it as is in Overwatch, the graphics just crawl.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
(Not that you're going to see this anyways, but here goes.)

First, congrats on getting Windows re-installed. Is this Windows 10 64-bit we're talking about?

Second, where did you get the AMD drivers, that you're trying to re-install? Did you download them from AMD.com ? Go there, click on Drivers, they have a bit page with links, look for 300-series, Windows 10 64-bit. Should bring you to a download page to get the newest Crimson drivers.

You shouldn't need to use Device Manager, I don't think. If you had to resort to that last time, then something is definitely wrong, either with your config, somehow, or the card itself.

Do you have the supplemental power connector(s) all properly connected to the PSU?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
(Not that you're going to see this anyways, but here goes.)

First, congrats on getting Windows re-installed. Is this Windows 10 64-bit we're talking about?

Second, where did you get the AMD drivers, that you're trying to re-install? Did you download them from AMD.com ? Go there, click on Drivers, they have a bit page with links, look for 300-series, Windows 10 64-bit. Should bring you to a download page to get the newest Crimson drivers.

You shouldn't need to use Device Manager, I don't think. If you had to resort to that last time, then something is definitely wrong, either with your config, somehow, or the card itself.

Do you have the supplemental power connector(s) all properly connected to the PSU?

Seeing a member say you'd tried to help, I try to be open to someone changing their ways and being able to take them off ignore. I can't remember it going well, but let's give it a try.

Thanks for trying to help. I'm not sure about congrats - it was an act of desperation after a tech guy corrupted my OS so it wouldn't boot, and it's left me with a new setup losing all my old setup, except for having the data and files still stored in a windows.old directory, so I need to go through and reinstall things one at a time and then remove the old ones if I want the space back. A real mess.

This is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. The drivers came from the AMD site. The auto detect program hung, and the manually selected driver install program hung.

I looked at all the cabling and it looks solid; the fans are all spinning.

There's clearly more going on - but the problems seem unrelated. Anything that seemed to touch the gpu driver hung the system, and the OS didn't see any AMD card.

After this, a new problem has begun where after the system runs about 10 to 15 minutes, whatever I'm doing the screen refreshes and there's Windows music alert and 10 seconds later it freezes.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There's clearly more going on - but the problems seem unrelated. Anything that seemed to touch the gpu driver hung the system, and the OS didn't see any AMD card.
I ran into this myself, when I was transferring one of my RX 470 4GB GPUs from one Ryzen rig to another secondary Ryzen rig. I couldn't get the drivers to install, I could get the installer to start and run, but when it went to actually install the driver, the screen would go to garbage, and then the system would basically become unresponsive.

I re-formatted the entire OS (Win10 Pro 64-bit), and tried again, and I finally got the 17.9.1 or 17.9.2 drivers to install. The WHQL newest 17.7.1 or 17.7.2 would hang, too. Very strange.

I don't have a good explanation for that, other than, I've finally gotten SOME new downloaded driver to install. Oh, btw, the Windows 10 default driver would install fine, but I wanted something newest to mine altcoins with.

After this, a new problem has begun where after the system runs about 10 to 15 minutes, whatever I'm doing the screen refreshes and there's Windows music alert and 10 seconds later it freezes.
That's pretty weird, too. Got any USB devices plugged in, cell phone, anything bluetooth?

Thanks for taking me off ignore, BTW.

And if you search one of your other threads, I offered you a free CPU + mobo combo, out of what stock I have available for my lower-end / mid-range stuff. No quad-cores with HT like yours, but maybe you could get running better? I dunno. Look it up and let me know. I was serious, and I've mailed members here hardware before.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The other part is how WIndows doesn't have any AMD device in the device manager. Seems strange.

My screen doesn't mess up on the driver install - it just hangs.

I do have some USB devices - keyboard, mouse, headphones at least. Given the way when the second problem happens, the sound was redirected from the headphones to the monitor, maybe there's somthing going on.

Generous of you to offer people HW, but I'd like to keep at least the system I have, for gaming. I expect I'll buy a used ASRock Z97 Extreme6 replacement and get it rebuilt.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Actually, I realized that my display was set to 30Hz, and I set Display Properties to 60Hz, and I started getting flashing screens, every once in a while, of wierd rainbow roarshock ink-blob like things.

Hmm, this thread got me thinking, and I tried downloading and installing the 17.9.3 drivers, hot off the presses.

I told it to do a "Custom Install", then a "Clean Install". While it was un-installing the prior drivers, the screen turned kind of a plaid patchwork of static, and then the HDD light stopped blinking. Frozen.

So I force powered-off, tried some other things, tried re-installing same drivers, they installed successfully (17.9.2), but my Radeon Settings app, didn't re-install when I re-installed the drivers. Weird. Still don't have it back. Tried to re-install same drivers a third time, but the only things I could check off, were the Graphics Driver, HDMI Audio Driver, and Bethesda Launcher. Radeon Settings wasn't showing up to be installed.

I really think that my card is damaged somehow, probably the VRAM. It spent quite a few hours, pegged at 89C, with the fans scraping my other card.

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
If the drivers are installed but not Radeon Settings, perhaps you can get around that using Afterburner to tweak clocks/voltages/fan speed? Something is definitely wrong though. I have a couple of MSI 390s that don't have this issue, using the same OS.