Question AMD preps Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 7 3800XT, Ryzen 5 3600XT for June 16 ....TweakTown

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
AMD rumored to refresh Matisse CPUs with Ryzen 7 3850X and 3750X

A big juicy rumor has just hit the internet, with it teasing that AMD would be refreshing its current-gen Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with two new entries.

1.jpg

These two new processors are the Ryzen 7 3850X and the Ryzen 7 3750X, which would succeed the Ryzen 7 3800X and Ryzen 7 3700X processors that are currently on the market. The tweet comes from 'HXL' who published the SKUs of the two new processors and made sure to tell the world they are "Not APU".

The tweet itself was a reply his own tweet of a 'Big day coming...' and that the release would be on 6/16 which after that AMD would launch on 7/7. An interesting timeline of release for the Matisse refresh, as 7/7 was the date that the Zen 2-based Ryzen 3000 series launched in 2019.

72709_04_amd-rumored-to-refresh-matisse-cpus-with-ryzen-7-3850x-and-3750x.jpg

If you didn't believe just that single tweet, then how about GIGABYTE kinda confirming the Matisse Refresh in their B550 presentation slide, as noted by VideoCardz. The GIGABYTE motherboards roadmap for support shows "Matisse & Refresh",

"Vermeer", and "Renoir" -- all of which aren't released yet.

AMD seems to be responding to the just-launched Intel Core i9-10900K and Core i7-10700K processors, as these new Ryzen 7 3850X and Ryzen 7 3750X processors would directly compete against Intel's new 10th Gen CPU offerings.

AMD preps Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 7 3800XT, Ryzen 5 3600XT for June 16

We first heard wind of AMD's upcoming Matisse Refresh in some leaked news barely 24 hours ago, but now we have some even juicier stuff to talk about: the Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 7 3800XT, Ryzen 5 3600XT.

That's right, according to our friends at Wccftech, AMD is about to launch the Matisse Refresh with the Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 7 3800XT, Ryzen 5 3600XT processors. The new Ryzen 3000 series CPUs would adopt the "XT" branding, something that Radeon fans will remember and love to see back in the ring.

The new rumor has AMD replacing the Ryzen 9 3900X, Ryzen 7 3800X and Ryzen 5 3600X with the new Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 7 3800XT, Ryzen 5 3600XT processors -- but increasing the CPU clocks, having enhanced overclocking support, and dropping the price on the current-gen CPUs that they replace.

Ryzen 9 3900XT - 12C/24T + faster clocks + enhanced OC support
Ryzen 7 3800XT - 8C/16T + faster clocks + enhanced OC support
Ryzen 5 3600XT - 4C/8T + faster clocks + enhanced OC support

These new CPUs would compete directly against Intel's latest Comet Lake processors, in the just-launched Core i9-10900K, Core i7-10700K, and Core i5-10600K.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I grabbed it for $120 on an open box deal at Micro Center.

That is a good kit usually don't see 3600 lower than cas 16 Pricing in USD is good but not in CAD.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I grabbed it for $120 on an open box deal at Micro Center.

Nice that's what I payed for my G.Skill 3200 CL14 kit. My MB won't allow me to go beyond 1900 FCLK without tripping the divider to 1:2 which kills the thrill in the end. 3800 CL15 @1:1 with around 1.45v is about it for now at least.

Have you tried pushing yours to see how far she'll go?

Reactions: lightmanek

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
AMD's upcoming Matisse Refresh is going to kick some Comet Lake ass when it drops

It's going to be interesting to see how the cards play out in the end.

The only real advantage Intel has at the moment is clock speed, but it looks to be shrinking at a rapid rate.

thigobr

Sep 4, 2016
Yes, over hyped it seems... I would rather see Zen 3 now

It's good news though that we are seeing higher clocks on these newer batches.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I don't think we are going to see a big change here until Zen 3.

Alot of people are just over hyping this refresh.
Correct this isn't going to be much different then the RX590 boost over 580. It will let the bean counters and performance watchers to feel comfortable about not dropping prices more. But it's not going to stop a 10700k buyer get a 3800xt instead. It may push the 3900 in MT enough for it to keep a lead in MT over the 10900k but I don't think the shoppers for either are cross shopping. The only chip that I think has hope to increase its overall value against Intel solutions is the 3600xtx over the 10600k or the 10400.

This isn't a game adjuster, just a market adjuster.

Reactions: spursindonesia

Rigg

May 6, 2020

That is a good kit usually don't see 3600 lower than cas 16 Pricing in USD is good but not in CAD.

I bought 2 of these kit's for less than $100 US to my door. They go on sale pretty often.

I'll probably compare them to the Trident Z's at some point on a test bench rig. The Patriots did 3600 cl14 no problem on an Asrock B450 ITX board.

Nice that's what I payed for my G.Skill 3200 CL14 kit. My MB won't allow me to go beyond 1900 FCLK without tripping the divider to 1:2 which kills the thrill in the end. 3800 CL15 @1:1 with around 1.45v is about it for now at least.
I ended up paying full retail for a second kit to match. I ended up having $300 into 32 GB. I'll probably switch over to the 2 patriot kits in my daily system. I just picked up an R5 3600 and an Asus Prime x570-p at Micro Center today. I think I'm going to flip my 3900x, the Prime x570-p, and one of the trident Z kits. I'm going to run the 3600 OC'ed on way too much voltage with the other trident Z kit until Zen 3 comes knocking. At that point I'll probably grab a 4950x and use the patriot kits in my main rig. Then I can have fun with the Trident Z and 3600 on an ITX test bench.

Have you tried pushing yours to see how far she'll go?
It's held back some by the 4 DIMM config. I'm sure it will do much better on an ITX board.

Latency and Timings.png

Reactions: Tlh97 and Makaveli

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
It's held back some by the 4 DIMM config. I'm sure it will do much better on an ITX board.

View attachment 21747
You should be able to run alot tigher timings on those memory sticks.

I'm also running 32gigs on 4x8gigs sticks, but sadly my 3950x is limiting me to only 3666MT/s 1:1 ratio. (cant do 3733MT/s memtest 100% stable whatever voltage/timings i try)
Cant wait to try these sticks on ZEN3 whenever that launches :)
memory settings.png

Rigg

May 6, 2020

I'm also running 32gigs on 4x8gigs sticks, but sadly my 3950x is limiting me to only 3666MT/s 1:1 ratio. (cant do 3733MT/s memtest 100% stable whatever voltage/timings i try)
View attachment 21751
Trust me I've tried. I gave it a go again last night with no luck. I think my IMC is meh.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Makaveli

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
Trust me I've tried. I gave it a go again last night with no luck. I think my IMC is meh.

I'm no expert, but i didn't think the IMC could limit the timings you could run, but it would rather limit your max infinity fabric clock (in my case 3666)
Like i mean if your 3900x can handle 3800MT/s, then you should be able to run whatever memory timings you want, as long as your ram can handle it...

What voltage are you using for your bdie ? I run mine at 1.5v with active fan on top of them.

Rigg

May 6, 2020
I'm no expert, but i didn't think the IMC could limit the timings you could run, but it would rather limit your max infinity fabric clock (in my case 3666)
Like i mean if your 3900x can handle 3800MT/s, then you should be able to run whatever memory timings you want, as long as your ram can handle it...

What voltage are you using for your bdie ? I run mine at 1.5v with active fan on top of them.
1.45v. At this point I'm content to relegate one of these kits to my test bench, sell the other, and run the cheaper Patriot 4000 cl 19 kits in my main rig. I'm running 1440p @ 120 on an overclocked Radeon VII. Pushing the RAM any farther isn't going to give me much, if any, benefit. I'm going to ditch my 3900x anyway before resale takes a dump in the next month.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Det0x

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Fair enough. I think most people would consider break even to be in terms of production costs
I really hope they would not. It doesn't make sense.
"Break-even" refers to profit and loss, not to margins. Selling at break-even prices means a financial result of 0.

Also, the line between costs of goods sold ("COGS", more generally called "allocated") and other costs ("unallocated") is pretty flexible. So that would lead to poorly defined terminology.
Just a simple example: company A outsources production to company B (like AMD outsources to TSMC).
Company B charges A per item made.
If B delivers these items to A's warehouse, the actual transport is included in the agreed price. So it can be allocated to products, hence: it's in COGS.
But if company A decides to buy a truck and employ a driver - who will pick up the items from B's factory and take them to A's warehouse - this driver's salary and the truck cost suddenly go into unallocated cost.
It took me about 5 minutes to write that last post and less for this. It could potentially take me an hour to find the quote trying to go through multiple earning call transcripts.
Well, if you had refrained from claiming facts you can't support with any source, writing these posts would probably take even less time.

Just add that it's an oppinion or a guess. That also doesn't take much time.

You write many posts when you try to make an impression you know something better than the adversary (say, about AMD's technological advantage over Intel). How do you expect me to take any of that seriously after what you've just said?
Simple math. If gross margin was at 40% and is driven to mid 40% thanks to Ryzen and Epyc when Epyc is less than 10% of revenue, the math tells you that Epyc has to be selling for above 50% gross margin.
No, it doesn't. Seriously. Do the simple math. :)
Console stuff is still low margin. AMD addressed this as well.
Again, source? :)
When I have more time I can pick out the actual quotes for you.
Yes, when you have time, please do that. Because otherwise it just looks like you're making stuff up and try to intimidate people so that they don't verify. O maybe an insider who didn't finish the confidentiality training. ;)
This is an enthusiast forum and we can (usually anonumously) make up all kinds of theories. But we respect each other, so we shouldn't do that, right?
But if you had a larger reach, say - as a politician, a known investor or journalist - you could even go to jail. :)
If you think it's something else, then please enlighten us as to what could be driving it.
You mean the growing profitability?
Probably just overall shift to more expensive products, so the fixed costs play a smaller role.
AMD is pushing the average CPU price up with every Zen generation. Same for Navi vs Polaris.

As for the gross margin itself - there's a good chance they just got a better deal from TSMC - no that Apple is moving to another node and 7N isn't the top one that everyone wants.

But we won't know for sure until AMD starts showing more details. They're current financial reporting is not easy to analyze (the most often repeated issue: presenting consoles and servers in the same segment).

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I really hope they would not. It doesn't make sense.
"Break-even" refers to profit and loss, not to margins. Selling at break-even prices means a financial result of 0.

Also, the line between costs of goods sold ("COGS", more generally called "allocated") and other costs ("unallocated") is pretty flexible. So that would lead to poorly defined terminology.
Just a simple example: company A outsources production to company B (like AMD outsources to TSMC).
Company B charges A per item made.
If B delivers these items to A's warehouse, the actual transport is included in the agreed price. So it can be allocated to products, hence: it's in COGS.
But if company A decides to buy a truck and employ a driver - who will pick up the items from B's factory and take them to A's warehouse - this driver's salary and the truck cost suddenly go into unallocated cost.

Well, if you had refrained from claiming facts you can't support with any source, writing these posts would probably take even less time.

Just add that it's an oppinion or a guess. That also doesn't take much time.

You write many posts when you try to make an impression you know something better than the adversary (say, about AMD's technological advantage over Intel). How do you expect me to take any of that seriously after what you've just said?

No, it doesn't. Seriously. Do the simple math. :)

Again, source? :)

Yes, when you have time, please do that. Because otherwise it just looks like you're making stuff up and try to intimidate people so that they don't verify. O maybe an insider who didn't finish the confidentiality training. ;)
This is an enthusiast forum and we can (usually anonumously) make up all kinds of theories. But we respect each other, so we shouldn't do that, right?
But if you had a larger reach, say - as a politician, a known investor or journalist - you could even go to jail. :)

You mean the growing profitability?
Probably just overall shift to more expensive products, so the fixed costs play a smaller role.
AMD is pushing the average CPU price up with every Zen generation. Same for Navi vs Polaris.

As for the gross margin itself - there's a good chance they just got a better deal from TSMC - no that Apple is moving to another node and 7N isn't the top one that everyone wants.

But we won't know for sure until AMD starts showing more details. They're current financial reporting is not easy to analyze (the most often repeated issue: presenting consoles and servers in the same segment).

Nice rant. I'm guessing you completely missed my post here.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Maybe next time provide some commentary with the link instead of just copy/pasting the contents?
Ah ok. You mean like everyone else ? Sure. If I "had" a comment...I would have. I did not. So I didnt. And if I don't have any commentary, I wont comment. Is it that hard for you to read the article ?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Ah ok. You mean like everyone else ? Sure. If I "had" a comment...I would have. I did not. So I didnt. And if I don't have any commentary, I wont comment. Is it that hard for you to read the article ?
This is speaking as a moderator. When you copy text or use a link, you are required to add commentary.. You can be infracted for not doing so. If I knew which post it was, you might have been given one.

Reactions: Drazick

seaplan3papi

May 30, 2020

View attachment 21751
1.45v. At this point I'm content to relegate one of these kits to my test bench, sell the other, and run the cheaper Patriot 4000 cl 19 kits in my main rig. I'm running 1440p @ 120 on an overclocked Radeon VII. Pushing the RAM any farther isn't going to give me much, if any, benefit. I'm going to ditch my 3900x anyway before resale takes a dump in the next month.

Really glad I found this thread!

I have been wondering if the 3900XT would allow an increase in ram speeds up to 4000mhz at 1:1 IF the fabric is updated...

I had picked out x2 kits of 16gb Patriot 4000 cl 19, but can't find any boards that would allow me to hit 4000 at 4 dimms and there was no benefit over 3600mhz. Might go for a single kit of 32gb G. Skill 3733/4000 now.. thoughts?

Rigg

May 6, 2020
Really glad I found this thread!

I have been wondering if the 3900XT would allow an increase in ram speeds up to 4000mhz at 1:1 IF the fabric is updated...

I had picked out x2 kits of 16gb Patriot 4000 cl 19, but can't find any boards that would allow me to hit 4000 at 4 dimms and there was no benefit over 3600mhz. Might go for a single kit of 32gb G. Skill 3733/4000 now.. thoughts?
At this point the 3900XT is a rumor. It is rumored to be able to hit 2000 fclock. Until it's released its hard to say anything concrete.

My opinion on Ryzen memory is buy the best B-die bins you can (irrespective of XMP profile) for the least amount of money and use Ryzen DRAM Calculator to tune them 1-1 to the max FCLK your CPU can run stable. The Patriot Viper Steel B-die kits are a great value when on sale for less than $100. The G.Skill kits I have are on sale for $130 right now if you want to run XMP with pretty good stock timings. These are usually like $180 for 16 gigs.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb...&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-SXFfsT_lXu.pYxgUe63fyQ

32 gigs will be running dual rank whether it's 4 DIMM's or 2. This is actually a good thing as it reduces latency vs single rank. The only concern with running 2 kits (at this tier of memory) is whether or not the XMP timings will work. I strongly suggest tuning the timings with the DRAM calc so this wouldn't be a major concern for me.

Reactions: Drazick

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
At this point the 3900XT is a rumor. It is rumored to be able to hit 2000 fclock. Until it's released its hard to say anything concrete.

My opinion on Ryzen memory is buy the best B-die bins you can (irrespective of XMP profile) for the least amount of money and use Ryzen DRAM Calculator to tune them 1-1 to the max FCLK your CPU can run stable. The Patriot Viper Steel B-die kits are a great value when on sale for less than $100. The G.Skill kits I have are on sale for $130 right now if you want to run XMP with pretty good stock timings. These are usually like $180 for 16 gigs.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232306?Item=N82E16820232306&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yCVBD3/gskill-tridentz-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c15d-16gtz&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-SXFfsT_lXu.pYxgUe63fyQ

32 gigs will be running dual rank whether it's 4 DIMM's or 2. This is actually a good thing as it reduces latency vs single rank. The only concern with running 2 kits (at this tier of memory) is whether or not the XMP timings will work. I strongly suggest tuning the timings with the DRAM calc so this wouldn't be a major concern for me.

So you recommend 32GB's to be with Dual Rank memory instead of say 4x8GB single rank modules?

Rigg

May 6, 2020
So you recommend 32GB's to be with Dual Rank memory instead of say 4x8GB single rank modules?
Sorry...I didn't word that well. It's kind of irrelevant anyway. You will have the same number of ranks whether its two dual rank modules or four single rank modules. It will probably be easier to find good affordable b-die kits in single rank 2 x 8 kits though. With dual rank modules you can obviously double your memory in the future. The matched kit of 2 x 16 is also more likely to be stable with XMP than two 2 x 8 kits. That doesn't mean 2 kits won't be stable though.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
4x8GB single-rank vs 2x32GB dual rank will be (rank-wise) functionally identical. However 32GB b-die DIMMs are pretty rare. You would more likely be looking at 16GB dual-rank DIMMs.

If you are looking at dual-rank 32GB DIMMs, you're looking at newer ICs in most cases: Hynix CJR, Micron e-die, or Samsung A-die/M-die.