AMD PowerNow! Technology?

doanster

Jun 8, 2005
I'm considering getting a Mobile Athlon 64+ for an old desktop mobo with the NF3 250GB chipset.

Does the PowerNow! throttling feature on the CPU work with desktop boards? Or is it only specifically for laptops?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
I believe you have to have a motherboard chipset that supports it. However, since you are getting a Athlon 64, my bets are that you will be using AMD's Cool'n'Quiet anyways (Essentially the same thing).

IIRC Socket 7xx (I forget what is was, it was short lived) Didn't support Cool'n'Quiet while Socket 939 and above do.

If you really want a cool CPU, some of Intels new celerons operate at 35W (Very cool).

doanster

Jun 8, 2005
I have an old socket 754 board that I want to reuse for a low power server. Yes, socket 754 does support Cool'n'Quiet :)

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
PowerNow started on the enterprise side with the 2p/4p Optys - moved to the desktop with the s940 IIRC (if you want to call that desktop). Is this like the new PhII C&Q ??

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
CnQ is impressive, imo.. If you get a very cool-running chip (like some of the old Semprons), the cpu fan will stop entirely.. and the system just keeps on going..

doanster

Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: brxndxn
CnQ is impressive, imo.. If you get a very cool-running chip (like some of the old Semprons), the cpu fan will stop entirely.. and the system just keeps on going..

Got my server up and running now with an Athlon 64 3700+ clocked down to only 1GHz and around 1.3V, with CPU throttling on the mobo bios set to 25%. CnQ enabled.

With current fan settings, my Athlon 64 does the same thing that you describe. I'm happy :)

Next up: dealing with my X800XT AIW video card. Just underclocking it now with ATItool, but can't decrease voltages. Suggestions?