AMD Phenom X3 710 --> X4

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
So far, so good.

Using a Biostar TA790GX 128M AM2+ mobo

In BIOS, set ACC to "Auto"

During POST, CPU is recognized as X4 10.

Task manager shows graphs for 4 cores.

Ran 3DMark06 successfully.

Prime95 has been running for about 15 minutes as of this post. 4 worker threads.

Using stock HSF, core temps as reported by AMD Overdrive are 41/42C.

PICS

Edit: Person on XtremeSystems.org has a 720BE @ 3.6Ghz, reported 1.456v (probably 1.475 in BIOS) with 4th core enabled, on a Gigabyte mobo.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
thanks for the update

seems too good to be true, if everything works correctly its a damn good deal.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Now overclocking by 10% (2.86 Ghz) across the board - RAM, HT, etc. Prime95 for about 30 minutes now, temps reported as 43C.

Update, running at 3 Ghz. Dropped NB/HT in BIOS to 1.6 Ghz, my DDR2-800's @ 920. VCore - +.05, RAM @ 2v, HT/NB @ +.1v. Temps @ 44C under load.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Does the quad-enabling only work with the Biostar board, or is this an option for other boards as well?

Great Work!

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: ExarKun333
Does the quad-enabling only work with the Biostar board, or is this an option for other boards as well?

Great Work!

I'm sure it works with other mobos, need AMD 780/790 & SB 700/750. I'd bet that BIOS revision is the key.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Why don't you OC first then do the stability testing. I assume this PC is not critical to be stable at the moment, as in all critical data is backed up ?

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Markfw900
Why don't you OC first then do the stability testing. I assume this PC is not critical to be stable at the moment, as in all critical data is backed up ?

I'm always been a real step-by-step kinda guy, I guess, particularly since I have no idea as to how the stock cooler performs. Data is backed up, so you're right, stability isn't critical at this point.

3rd core just crapped out, gonna try a bit more +v.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Flipped Gazelle
Dropped NB/HT in BIOS to 1.6 Ghz

This is probably common knowledge to any person with an AMD rig, but can you take a moment to explain to me why you needed/wanted/desired to drop the NB/HT clockspeed?

Since that slows down the L3$ as well, again something I am not assuming you don't already know, there must be some good reason you are doing this as a trade-off for less IPC with the slightly slower L3$? I don't know what the reason would be, so am curious about the rationale.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Dropped NB/HT in BIOS to 1.6 Ghz

This is probably common knowledge to any person with an AMD rig, but can you take a moment to explain to me why you needed/wanted/desired to drop the NB/HT clockspeed?

Since that slows down the L3$ as well, again something I am not assuming you don't already know, there must be some good reason you are doing this as a trade-off for less IPC with the slightly slower L3$? I don't know what the reason would be, so am curious about the rationale.

At this stage, I'm more interested in OC'ing the CPU than anything else. The RAM I'm using has been tested good @ 960 on default settings, so I haven't hit my head on that yet. Sometimes AMD mobos get finicky when the HT gets overclocked. Once I establish that the cores are OK, I'll work on the other stuff.

I think I may stop at 3 GHz - for now. AMD's Overdrive utility is, I think, misreporting CPU temps . They seem too low, so I launched Everest, and Everest is reporting temps +10C beyond Overdrive. Overdrive's also reporting CPU voltage as 1.325v no matter what I set it to in the BIOS.

I need to get a better HSF.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
At this stage, I'm more interested in OC'ing the CPU than anything else. The RAM I'm using has been tested good @ 960 on default settings, so I haven't hit my head on that yet. Sometimes AMD mobos get finicky when the HT gets overclocked. Once I establish that the cores are OK, I'll work on the other stuff.

Ah, I think I get it. You drop the HT so it isn't the weakest clockspeed-limiting component as you up the core clockspeed, yes? Once you know whereabouts your cores top out then you go back and improve the HT clockspeed as well as the ram speed and timings? It sounds very similar to optimizing a FSB-based Intel rig.

Well don't just sit there reading my ramblings, get on with the overclocking man, we need more on this X3->X4 situation!

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Does this work for the 720 as well? I'm really glad I picked up my TA790GX Biostar board a few weeks ago!

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
If it can get to about 3.2-3.4GHz that would be pretty impressive. What are you at now (passed 3GHz stability yet)? Voltage?

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
nice F.G.!! Not bad OC for the 710 with stock HSF. And I think the stock one isn't as good as say the 720BE/920/940BE's.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: thilan29
If it can get to about 3.2-3.4GHz that would be pretty impressive. What are you at now (passed 3GHz stability yet)? Voltage?

I'm pretty much stuck at 3.0 because of the stock HSF.

I had to bump the voltage by .087 in order to pass Prime95 for an hour. Still not done testing.

I moved the HT/NB back to 2.0, so now everything is being OC'd by ~ 15%.

Maybe later I'll try a low-impact run higher, just to see.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Idontcare

Ah, I think I get it. You drop the HT so it isn't the weakest clockspeed-limiting component as you up the core clockspeed, yes? Once you know whereabouts your cores top out then you go back and improve the HT clockspeed as well as the ram speed and timings? It sounds very similar to optimizing a FSB-based Intel rig.

Well don't just sit there reading my ramblings, get on with the overclocking man, we need more on this X3->X4 situation!

That's exactly it. :thumbsup:

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Use OCCT instead of PRIME. It's better than PRIME. If you can get OCCT 2 hours stable, then the CPU is stable. At least it's stable for me.

What's your temps at?

imported_SLIM

Jun 14, 2004
Oh, and it would be really helpful to know what kind of overclock you can achieve with just 3 cores vs all four once you get a new HSF.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Originally posted by: thilan29
Shoot...getting the correct batch is too much of a lottery for me to try it on my Gigabyte board.

Well if you are near Microcenter I hear they let you pick your cpu

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: geokilla
Use OCCT instead of PRIME. It's better than PRIME. If you can get OCCT 2 hours stable, then the CPU is stable. At least it's stable for me.

What's your temps at?

I'll do OCCT, among other things, tomorrow.

Temps after 30 min. of Prime are 58-59C, as reported by Everest. AMD Overdrive reported 47, but that seems too low.