AMD Phenom II X3 -> X4 users, Unite!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Juncar
Oh I see, I thought I read somewhere that you can find it on the box that it came in as well.

Well, technically not on the box, it's just found in looking through the little window on the box onto the top of the chip.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Mine X3 710 was CACZC 0906EPMW

Getting shipped to the land of Borat tommorow. I thought i was stretching buy selling it for 85 plus shipping (to international) but I guess a guaranteed quadcore means alot for kazaks.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Mine X3 710 was CACZC 0906EPMW

Getting shipped to the land of Borat tommorow. I thought i was stretching buy selling it for 85 plus shipping (to international) but I guess a guaranteed quadcore means alot for kazaks.

kazaks = caczcs?

Juncar

Jul 5, 2009
One thing I noticed while I was looking around for info on 720 BE is that on cpu-z, some ppl has the code name Deneb while other has Heka. I'd be interested to know the code name for anyone's X3 that unlocked to X4.

Juncar

Jul 5, 2009
Hmm interesting, mine says Heka as well although it used to say Deneb before I unlocked the 4th core. OCCT still recognize it as Deneb.

James of the Mountains

Sep 22, 2009
Ok -
This is my first new build since my Duron build that lasted me the better part of a decade, so it took some research on my part

I don't have the batch number handy, but it's a 720 x3, 2.8 ghz. Gigabite MA770T-UD3P. Bios has always recognized the CPU voltage as 1.325. I can get 3 cores @ 3.3 Ghz to run windows xp 32 bit and Linux 64 bit (mint 7) flawlessly on stock voltage. Lasts 12 minutes in OCCT before it quacks me out. Stock HSF.

The 4th core did unlock. I set EC firmware to "hybrid", and ACC to auto and presto, four cores. Shows up as "x4 20" in the bios and Windows. It doesn't overclock quite as well as it does when it's 3 core, but close. Neither 3 or 4 core will load windows at 3.1 ghz at any voltage, although both will load windows at 3.2 and 3.3 with stock voltage. This confuses me. 4 cores passed OCCT's one hour test @ 3.0 ghz. The second time it failed.

The stock 3 core setting failed the same test at the 26 minute mark.

So... how important is all this? Am I good to go as long as my temps stay good and my OS is stable, or do these stress tests really matter?

code name always reads "deneb", by the way

*Edit*
After further research, I read that it really helps stabilty to set your cpu nb voltage to 1.3 from the "stock" 1.2. My board defaulted to 1.1, so I bumped it to 1.15, and I'm OCCT stable one hour on four cores @ 3.0 Ghz. It gets kinda hot running the test, like 70 degrees C, so I'm going to be looking for a good cpu cooler before I continue. Idles around 39/42 degrees C.

JACKDRUID

Nov 28, 2007
Biostar TA785GE 128M, 3ghz using stock cooler. stock voltage. 4200 oc to 850mhz.

4th core unlocks however prime95 show error (division should be <0.5) so further testing needed.

EDIT: 4th core works 100%, 12 hrs no error! it was my overclocking that caused the error.

Vincent

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a Phenom II X3 710 on a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H. I unlocked the fourth core by setting the EC firmware to Hybrid and ACC to Auto, but Windows would no longer start properly.

Motherboard: F5 BIOS 09/16/2009
CPU: AC 0923D8MW

E4300

Apr 13, 2009
Phenom II X3 710 CACZC AC 097CPMW with 1.325 default VID.

$50 Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P and $50 Phenom II X3 710 purchased at Fry's. No problem unlocking the 4th core with F4 BIOS (ACC @ -2%). Board is stable up to 300MHz bus speed and 1.3V NB. Core voltage as reported in CPUz is dead on. Chip is Prime95 stable at 3.77GHz with 1.5Vcore in BIOS. Must use active cooling (92mm fan) at the NB and MOSFET regions to control temp.

For long term use:

- CPU multiplier @ AUTO with Cool n Quiet and C1E enabled
- Vcore @ 1.425 BIOS for 3.56GHz with 4 cores active
- VNB @ 1.2
- VSB @ 1.2
- HT @ 2192MHz
- RAM @ 548MHz
- CPU NB VID @ 1.225

Dec 30, 2004
I love my CPU. Wish OP would update thread.
3.5Ghz, I'll be good for gaming for like 3 years IMO, just drop some Xfired 5870s in there when I have the money (higher priorities at the moment)

marsspirit123

May 31, 2009
I have 720 unlocked on m3a78-t with the bios 1403.It has been running on 3.2ghz @1.38 v for a month now with no problems at all.

cafeda

Apr 8, 2009
Yes it's does have a trick . I'm so excited
My board Ga-Ma790gp-ud4h with 720 x3 . I unlocked 4th core by hybrid and all core. Post up x4 20 but it hang up at windows start . Then i try raise cpu voltage with no luck , then i LOWER cpu voltage to 1.150 V ( normal 1.3 V ) and windows start right up , and very stable , i will do prime95 test tonight .
Also I can unlocked with bios F5 or even F2 , so i think i can able to unlocked with any bios version .
So what do you guys think in my case ? Hoping x4 20 will stable and pass prime95 test .

For who have same problem as my case (post up x4 20 but won't start windows ) , should try again with Lower cpu voltage. Give it a try , it won't hurt . :) 720 x3 is best cpu !

cafeda

Apr 8, 2009
Originally posted by: pwdbyhonda
Originally posted by: Keysplayr
Originally posted by: soonerproud
Originally posted by: cafeda
I have samething Keysplayr had > Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H rev 1.0 BIOS ver. F1 . X3 720.
I set auto acc in amd overdrive and restart , post boots but then fozen at windows start up , hit reset button and went to bios to disable acc and reboot again , windows start ok , open amd overdrive , only 1 time it supprise me , it show 4 core with same speed and temp ( I was disable in bios already , this case don't make sense ? ) . But just about less than 5 min the screen frozen , and i have to restart again . This time everything back to normal 3 core , 2800.. and I can't make it show 4 core again :( Do you guy have any other trick to show me ? please !:)

There is no trick to it. If the X3 you purchased happened to have a faulty core then no amount of tweaking is going to bring it to life. You most likely have a dead fourth core and got what you paid for, a X3 which is still a incredible deal when you start comparing benchies.

Smile, you still got a good deal especially if you over clock the sucker.

Yeah, I kind of explained the same thing to this person. It either does, or doesn't work.
Still end up with a pretty good 3 core CPU though.

So it doesn't look like there is any rhyme or reason, or distinct pattern for successful/unsuccessful unlocks. I'm gonna say at this point, it's the luck of the draw.

Has it been confirmed that only 0904 batches can be unlocked? Does that imply that other batches are floating around? Has anyone recently bought one that worked from Newegg? Where do I find the batch number on the processor?

Yes it's does have a trick . I'm so excited
My board Ga-Ma790gp-ud4h with 720 x3 . I unlocked 4th core by hybrid and all core. Post up x4 20 but it hang up at windows start . Then i try raise cpu voltage with no luck , then i LOWER cpu voltage to 1.150 V ( normal 1.3 V ) and windows start right up , and very stable , i will do prime95 test tonight .
Also I can unlocked with bios F5 or even F2 , so i think i can able to unlocked with any bios version .
So what do you guys think in my case ? Hoping x4 20 will stable and pass prime95 test .

For who have same problem as my case (post up x4 20 but won't start windows ) , should try again with Lower cpu voltage. Give it a try , it won't hurt . 720 x3 is best cpu !

masterbm

Sep 3, 2008
I have Phenom 710 unlocked the 4th core. Looking at cafeda post I will try to overclock on it to. I am not going to look at the batch number becuase I a not going to take heatsink off. But it revision rb-c2. Have run prime 95 on for 2 hrs no issue. Also been up overnight no issues. will update my post with stable overclock number. The mainboard I am using is M4a785-m by asus