AMD Phenom 940 shatters 3DMark World Record - Valentines Day 2009

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Stock speed ? This is the overlocking forum.....We don't talk stock...

But 2.5 Q8300 vs 2.8 PHII 920 ? I would still put money on the Q8300....Based on my benches...Except the AMD is still $10 more (both newegg)

No way to really compare X3 to Intel. Except total power overclocked. Guess who wins...

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Markfw900

But 2.5 Q8300 vs 2.8 PHII 920 ? I would still put money on the Q8300....Based on my benches...Except the AMD is still $10 more (both newegg)

No way to really compare X3 to Intel. Except total power overclocked. Guess who wins...

"Overlocking" forum? fusion238's um, fanboyism getting to you? ;)

I mention stock speed because it's as valid a comparo as any - at least as valid as clock-for -clock, as Intel & AMD don't sell the same clockspeed at the same prices.

In many cases, an X3 at say, 3.5 Ghz will beat an e8400 at 4. Not all cases, but many. This is extrapolating from AT's measurements.

It's all about what your needs are. If your primary app - or at least, your "measurement app" - is F@H, a from what you've said, a C2D will most likely trump an X3. OTOH, if you use Cinebench, X3 beats even a higher-clocked C2D pretty handily.

In so many cases, though, we're really splitting hairs, IMO.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004

The rest of the world does because the general public sure as hell don't overclock.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: RallyMaster

The rest of the world does because the general public sure as hell don't overclock.

The general public is on this forum, and they do. If you mean % of the general public ? Maybe, but they are not here discussing CPU's

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
People who participate in actively in a CPU forum are not considered "the general public" in my view.

I think you're getting a little overboard there with the Intel support. As much as I admit that Intel has a commanding lead in terms of producing high quality, high performance chips for a reasonable price, I wouldn't say AMD completely sucks at life. Their chips have their place and it just so happens that most sites regard the Phenom II X4s at the level of a mid-range C2Q and I would say that at their price point, it's definitely competitive. It might not beat the Intel offering every time, but the fact the two model ranges throw punches at each other the whole time is undeniable.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: RallyMaster
People who participate in actively in a CPU forum are not considered "the general public" in my view.

I think you're getting a little overboard there with the Intel support. As much as I admit that Intel has a commanding lead in terms of producing high quality, high performance chips for a reasonable price, I wouldn't say AMD completely sucks at life. Their chips have their place and it just so happens that most sites regard the Phenom II X4s at the level of a mid-range C2Q and I would say that at their price point, it's definitely competitive. It might not beat the Intel offering every time, but the fact the two model ranges throw punches at each other the whole time is undeniable.

Ding...Ding...Ding...This is my point. Lately I am sick of heard how this new X4 is Gods gift to silison, literally. They are decent for the first time in 2 years. But they still loose by a small margin. They ARE competitive. So we agree there.

coolness.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Has anyone checked if the AMD chips are running on the SSE codepath in F@H? Because I do seem to recall some issue that Intel "helped" optimize the F@H SMP client, and because of that, it disables SSE extensions when run on AMD CPUs.

That could explain the large disparity of PPD between similarly-clocked AMD versus Intel quads, I think.

So F@H may not be the best benchmark these days.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: fusion238
World records that involve speed are noteworthy and when you have competition between
AMD's midstream priced CPUs against formidable Intel's highest priced CPUs, it is a great achievement. It is liking being witness to a Mazda RX8 with nitrous oxide outperforming a Jaguar XJ220 twin turbo supercar!

Just as formerly exotic equipment like turbochargers and superchargers were not mainstream, future types of cooling techniques and technologies (including in the CPU)
will bring world record performance to the masses.

If you don't stop this obvious marketing ploy, you will be banned.
Every single post you have made is a marketing post. Not that you own one, and are giving feedback about it, or in reference to an article. (Except this one post referencing an article)

Markfw900 Anandtech Moderator

Mark you should moderate at the video forum for a day, i mean Wreckage dude needs someone like you to educate him hehehehe.
Fusion238 is a fanboy and needs to be "contained" but i would love to see this same consistency and determination on the video forum for once.

Now to the topic, Phenom II is a good chip, not a great one. LN2 runs means nothing to the end user but they're a good indication of how high you can push a cpu.
I'm waiting on cheaper X58 and DDR3 variants to try i7 but until then my PII is doing a fantastic job.

kratosblue

Mar 15, 2009
first of its a record attempt for the fun of it.
since wen was any record attempts any different?
phenom I or II stock or overclocked looses to intel counterparts in most of the benchmarks,
i am an amd fan but this is the facts as of now.
that said amd still performs more for the buck and consumes less power.