AMD or nVidia

Decchi

Jan 27, 2013
System Specifications:

I. Processor/CPU:

AMD FX-8320

II. Current Graphics Card:

ASUS nVidia GTX 550 TI (DC if you wanna know that much.)

III. Display Resolution:

1680x1050 on a 42" Vizio. I don't have room for a monitor, it doesn't do 3D.

IV. Power Supply Unit Specification (Brand, Wattage, Ampage, Age). If possible, please provide a link to a website containing the power supply specifications:

Thermaltake TR2 600W, New
I'll be going to the Corsair AX860i (Or going to the next wattage up, I'm not sure yet, but I can figure that out on my own later.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139041

V. Case Specifications(N/A, Model, Length, Low Profile, Cooling, HTPC, Water, Silent):

Thermaltake Armor+ Full size tower

Purchase Details:

I. Budget? Please be sure to include currency (If not USD), retailer preferences & specify whether rebates are a viable option.

I'd really like 200$ per card, but i can throw in an extra 30 odd bucks

II. Any particular preferences (Manufacturer[nV or AMD], Brand[XFX, Sapphire, EVGA, etc], Cooling Solutions)?

I'm partial to nVidia, but I'm on the fence. If AMD, i kind of like HIS for their little designs on the side, but i haven't seen much of those anymore. Purely aesthetics i know, i won't base a decision on that, but it'd be a happy little plus if it works out that way.

III. Do you plan to have any Multi-GPU solutions such as Crossfire or SLI?
Yes

IV. Have you previously looked at a product(s) which you feel would fit your needs?

I'm between the GTX 660 and the AMD 7870

V. What are your needs for this GPU? Which games(If any)do you intend to play? If you have this information at hand, what are the desired detail levels?

Right now I'm starting out with WoW, but i'm going to look into other games. Haven't been much of a gamer up til now.

VI. Do you plan on overclocking the card you intend to purchase?
I prefer not to, but I don't have a problem tweaking it a little.

Additional Notes
I'm on the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard
(for reference: http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/ )

Here's my little tack for starting a whole new thread on this, and my current knowledge on the matter to save time and energy. I know the 7870 will out perform the 660, but the 660 TI can match/out do it by some percentage, but if i remember right, that's outside my funding range. I also know that SLI is more stable than crossfire. What i've read (Don't remember where, and haven't heard a word on it since, so i'm not sure if this is still true, or if at all) is that it's better to run a multi-gpu set up (2 way for me) when using a TV as a monitor (no room for one) to help the resolution and such.

My other thing is Catalyst vs nVidia. I have a preference to nVidia because i feel i have more control over the settings and it's very simply laid out. I've got Catalyst on my laptop and we just don't get along, but that could be because a. it's on a laptop GPU and b. i just get pissed at some point and say screw it i don't care why i can't change the settings i want to (It's working with a computer, that's normal right?). So it's more of GTX 660 SLI vs 7870 crossfire vs catalyst vs nvidia's software. I just want good performance and a nice amount of control on how it runs. Simple "this would work better for you" and why (hope that doesn't sound assholish? I apologize if it does, not my intention, I've just been sorting through a lot for an answer to this.) Thanks for your time!

Mar 10, 2006
While both AMD and Nvidia cards are good, I would prefer the Nvidia. PhysX is a feature that's quite nice, and I firmly believe the drivers/support is just much better.

Also, buy an eVGA, best AIB maker as far as I'm concerned. That's another reason to go Nvidia.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
First, I wouldn't go SLI or CF but instead with one more powerful card. SLI and CF only really make sense if you use the fastest cards in my opinion as a long time SLI user.

Second, in WoW Nvidia used to be quite a bit faster than AMD. I haven't seen up to date results, though.

Decchi

Jan 27, 2013
That's what i keep hearing for SLI/CF, but being one for gadgets (I'll be investing in a USB foam missile launcher) I kept leaning towards it, but that does make sense, and i agree, nVidia does seem more stable. Thank you both!

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Well if you do know what you're getting into (profiles, possibly microstutter depending on your fps), you can surely try it. After all, you can always sell the second card if you're not happy with it.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
At your resolution multigpu (and therefore nvidia, as it is the only advantage nvidia currently has), doesn't make a lot of sense.

AMD.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
OP, Multi GPU isnt worth the hassle IMO, while SLI maybe the better & more stable platform for mGPU, there will still be some games that have issues.
You are better off sell your current to put more funds together for the best you can afford....If you play older games ie: DX9, you maybe better sticking with NV anyway....so I would try to get a little more for the 660Ti

Firestorm007

Dec 9, 2010
currently if you are ok to spend USD 230 i suggest the Powercolor PCS+ MYST HD 7870 with Tahiti LE chip. 1536 stream processors at 975 mhz. 256 bit memory at 6 Ghz (192 Gb/s). performance matches or exceeds GTX 660 Ti. when overclocked to 1.2 ghz matches HD 7970(925 mhz). USD 240 (220 after rebate). with free sleeping dogs game.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131484

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/01/powercolor_radeon_hd_7870_myst_edition_review/
Another vote for the 7870. For the price, it's a great card.