AMD & OpenCL: Faster compression, but without using GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cp8086

Oct 25, 2010
OpenCL in Winzip is not really using the GPU. It makes nearly no difference if you using a low end Evergreen card or the 7970.

By now I checked with 4 AMD cards (HD 5770, 5830, 6670, 6850) that GPU usage was always zero with the OpenCL code path.
But I tested each card in a different system (and with different data sets!), so I can't compare compression times with different GPU.

A well equipped laboratory could conduct comparative tests with different GPUs on a modern system... ;-)

cp8086

Oct 25, 2010
Me myself I can't wait until all the legacy crapp has been recompiled and X86 can be shown the door.
Theoretically it would be appropriate to design a new ISA freed of constraints and limitations of the 70s and 80s (CISC, cumbersome instruction coding, few registers, in order, memory management and coherency, etc.), perhaps with an ‘explicit management’ of ILP (a la E.P.I.C.)

I mean that, at least on paper, many of the fundamental ideas behind Merced / Itanium are certainly reasonable.

Likely today's technology could allow the development and proliferation of alternative solutions to the classic Von Neumann's Computer Architecture, such as Warren Abstract Machines, Lisp machines or maybe Turing machines…

However it's very complicated to develop and optimize compilers and development tools for new architectures, especially if they’re very complex...

Intel wanted to leave x86 years ago
But Intel, above all, wanted to cut out the competition: when Merced was in gestation, besides AMD there were also Cyrix, IDT's Centaur Division, Rise, Transmeta...

But AMD came with AMD 64 and held us captive as MS had zero interest in nothing that wasn't X86 back when . So It was AMD and MS that held back innovation and not Intel as the EU stated.
AMD's Hammer was a good move in that scenario: a good fit for legacy performance (16/32 bit X86), modern computation (AMD64, later named X64), energy efficiency (CnQ, not exaggerated max TDP), security (NX), topology (on die northbridge, HT).

It would have been better if they included more registers or refined other details, but anyway X64 ensured a better transition from 32 to 64-bit for servers, workstations and PCs.

Last edited:

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Anand says very soon for handbrake. I like this open cl vary much. But I like AVX2 even more so . Me myself I can't wait until all the legacy crapp has been recompiled and X86 can be shown the door. Intel wanted to leave x86 years ago .But AMD came with AMD 64 and held us captive as MS had zero interest in nothing that wasn't X86 back when . So It was AMD and MS that held back innovation and not Intel as the EU stated.

Yup..I don't get why people thought AMD64 was a good idea...now we wil never get rid of that legacy crap...like peeing in your pants to keep yourself warm in a winter day...might feel good right away...but given time...bad idea.

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
Yup..I don't get why people thought AMD64 was a good idea...now we wil never get rid of that legacy crap...like peeing in your pants to keep yourself warm in a winter day...might feel good right away...but given time...bad idea.
Could you go a bit more in-depth with this? I'm curious.

cp8086

Oct 25, 2010
might feel good right away...but given time...bad idea.

In all technology sectors, rapid and comprehensive developments can be made: retrospectively some ideas could be suboptimal, but that doesn’t mean that it is better to stop the progress.

I don’t believe that Merced would be received quickly and painlessly in PCs, desktop and especially laptops (let alone netbooks, tablets and “MIDs”); anyway I don’t think that a hypothetic 2012 Merced PC would be significantly better than an actual today PC, indeed it would probably be much lower.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Could you go a bit more in-depth with this? I'm curious.

X86 was planned to get phased out...to much legacy crap and bad design, it made going all the way back to the i286 (and further back even).

This is a list of some shortcommings in X86:

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=276418

- Not enough registers
- Overlapping register classes
- Irregular instructions
- Fixed registers for integer multiplication/division
- Too many jump variants (63 to be correct)
- Complicated encoding
- Ambiguity in some cases
- Useless Instructions (minor annoyance)

And all along came AMD...not only did they steal a x86 license from Intel IMHO (The way they got their x86 lisence)...they also prolonged the legacy x86 needlesly crap.

People where first..."YEAH 64 bit CPU's!!!!"...mostly gamers...sadly most games are still x86...32 bit, AMD has left the highend CPU market (by it own words)...so we are left with a lot of garbage...due to AMD.

TL;DR:

AMD came in, cheated their way into a x86 license, made AMD64 sticking us to all the legacy crap for years...for then to flip the finger and say "x86 isn't the future"...so long *beeeep*...:thumbsdown:

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Are your cards going up in clock speed? When I attach any OpenCL program to my cards regardless of what I ask them to do they immediately go to full clock speed. If that isn't happening I doubt the openCL compression/decompression routines are working.

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
What 64bit ISA are we using in your AMD64-less world? AMD64 is better than IA64 or being stuck on IA32 forever.
It would have been nice if Intel choose to push the i860 over the 486 though.

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Never heard anyone compliment IA64 and Intel themselves don't seem to like the idea of let the compiler do all the work anymore with Poulson going OoO.
AMD64 "just works", don't think that could have ever been said of IA64.