AMD Officially Launches RX Vega 56 Nano At Computex 2018 Press Event

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
https://wccftech.com/amd-officially-launches-rx-vega-56-nano-at-computex-2018-press-event/

BD9F33CA-B0FB-4731-A75C-DEA079969E6F-2060x1545.jpeg

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
The product was ready a while ago, Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse uses the short PCB variant. Analysis here for those interested.

Nice to see Nano is back though.

Mar 11, 2004
Wonder if its the full CU count just downclocked like the Fury Nano, or if its the 56 and downclocked.

Why didn't they compare it to the Fury Nano in the chart? That would've been much more pertinent info.

Sadly this thing is a dud. This needs to be what $299 to be even worth considering, and even then it'll get slaughtered by the upcoming Nvidia cards. Depending on how long before we see an 1160 (which will probably come close to matching if not beat the performance and at the $299 price, while being equal or better in efficiency), it might would be able to sell some at that price. It might be able to do $399 for a little while (possibly until the 1160 if the 1170 is $499). Guess miners will make it a $600 card though, especially if its the full CU and well binned.

I really hope Navi is a huge improvement for AMD. They need another 48xx series level shift.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
AMD probably can't sell anything Vega/HBM2 under $399 due to the costs involved.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Wonder if its the full CU count just downclocked like the Fury Nano, or if its the 56 and downclocked.

Why didn't they compare it to the Fury Nano in the chart? That would've been much more pertinent info.

Sadly this thing is a dud. This needs to be what $299 to be even worth considering, and even then it'll get slaughtered by the upcoming Nvidia cards. Depending on how long before we see an 1160 (which will probably come close to matching if not beat the performance and at the $299 price, while being equal or better in efficiency), it might would be able to sell some at that price. It might be able to do $399 for a little while (possibly until the 1160 if the 1170 is $499). Guess miners will make it a $600 card though, especially if its the full CU and well binned.

I really hope Navi is a huge improvement for AMD. They need another 48xx series level shift.

It's the 56, not the full 64. You can tell this right away with the name literally being "56 Nano".

Asking for $299 is absolutely delusional. What on earth are you talking about? Next gen Nvidia isn't out yet, so this card will be based on current gen prices.

Reactions: Despoiler
Mar 11, 2004
AMD probably can't sell anything Vega/HBM2 under $399 due to the costs involved.

Yes, which is my point. This card is a dud because it will never be able to hit its performance value without being sold for a loss. This is speaking with regards to consumer (and not mining performance) obviously. Its sad that things are so out of whack that a card like this will probably fetch much more, because we've had this performance level for about 2 years already.

It's the 56, not the full 64. You can tell this right away with the name literally being "56 Nano".

Asking for $299 is absolutely delusional. What on earth are you talking about? Next gen Nvidia isn't out yet, so this card will be based on current gen prices.

Except they might call it that because it could be downclocked, so are trying to make it seem like its performance is comparable to the 56, and they'd do that by having the full CU chip but at lower clocks/voltages. Most people thought the original Nano was going to be cut down but it was the full CU count (and they called it Fury Nano, even though the Fury X was the full sized chip and the Fury was the cutdown one - seems they actually just called it the R9 Nano without any Fury branding). We've seen AMD themselves name something the same numerical label even though it didn't have the same CU count too (although they did that in the opposite direction, trying to make a cut down part seem to be the same). But because Vega is such a poor chip, they probably had to both use the cut down one and downclock/undervolt it to get it to the TDP its rated for.

First, I'm not "asking" for anything with regards to pricing (I'm not in the market for a video card at all, so I'm not gonna be considering buying it even if it was $200). I'm talking about where its performance will put its value. Which the price of the 1070 would likely be about $299 if video card prices weren't still completely f'ed. That's also why I said $399 is probably about what it should get until an 1160 which will likely be around $299 with comparable performance (with comparable if not better efficiency, and likely be offered in nearly as compact of cards). Perhaps being a "Nano/Mini" would be worth $50, so maybe $349 would be more apt.

I'm talking about its value not what it will cost because this market has gone completely bonkers in real pricing. I already speculated that this card will probably be going for $600 even though that's nowhere close to its value (for anyone but miners and people that just have to have the max they can get from AMD; but even the GSynce tax is going to not matter if AMD's cards are substantially more expensive with much worse performance).

Current gen prices aren't even based on current gen prices (MSRP and typical price changes; the 1070 is almost 2 years old to the day, and they're still selling at above MSRP on Newegg and Amazon) so that argument is pointless (which yes, mine is largely as well since typical value is meaningless currently).

You also ignore that there could be a flood of Vega cards in the 2nd hand market (like what happened with the 290).

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Funny how metrics tend to be arranged to better fit the narrative:
  • it will be expensive because they can't make them any cheaper
  • it might be Vega 64 sold as Vega 56 (because otherwise they might sell it cheaper :eek:)
We can complain again and again the card is a dud, fact remains - just like we talked when og Vega launched - AMD will sell every card they make. They simply can't meet demand with their current production capacity.

The nano Vega 56 PCB exists for quite some time, has been used in custom Vega 56 boards from Sapphire, XFX, Powercolor.

Reactions: sandorski

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Vega 56 MSRP is $399. I'd expect Vega 56 Nano to be similarly priced, even if throttling reduced performance, since they sell everything they make anyway.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
A surprised it took them this long to release a mITX edition of their Vega cards. Small form factor stuff tends to sell with a bit of a premium despite less performative cooling, seems like an easy way to keep AMD's vendors happy by keeping production costs to a minimum while being able to pocket a bit more.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Vega 56 MSRP is $399. I'd expect Vega 56 Nano to be similarly priced, even if throttling reduced performance, since they sell everything they make anyway.

Does it really matter what they set MSRP at when miners drive the price up by at least a couple hundred dollars?