AMD Letting Geode Die

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
"We'll continue to sell the Geode line of products, but as far as are we going to be bringing out a new core microarchitecture specifically targeted at that space -- no, we won't be doing that. It's not a part of our future product road map." - Randy Allen to PC World.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Not being a customer of any products that use Geode I see this is a necessary path forward for AMD as they try and reduce their product footprint so as to be able to operate within a viably profitable market segment.

Via had to downsize their aspirations too, and Apple has no intention of becoming a 20%+ marketshare champion (the margins for their products could never be supported by 20% of the market).

I believe AMD must reduce their market share aspirations and shrink the cost-structure (headcount and fixed assets) so that they can begin to operate within something that is profitable.

If it means abandoning the desktop CPU market and only selling opterons then so be it (not that this is what I am espousing, only AMD would know what made sense as they have the numbers needed to do the analysis justice). But clearly what they have been attempting to do for the past 20yrs is not and has not been working.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Not being a customer of any products that use Geode I see this is a necessary path forward for AMD as they try and reduce their product footprint so as to be able to operate within a viably profitable market segment.

Via had to downsize their aspirations too, and Apple has no intention of becoming a 20%+ marketshare champion (the margins for their products could never be supported by 20% of the market).

I believe AMD must reduce their market share aspirations and shrink the cost-structure (headcount and fixed assets) so that they can begin to operate within something that is profitable.

If it means abandoning the desktop CPU market and only selling opterons then so be it (not that this is what I am espousing, only AMD would know what made sense as they have the numbers needed to do the analysis justice). But clearly what they have been attempting to do for the past 20yrs is not and has not been working.

You managed to display my thoughts on this pretty well. :thumbsup:

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
That sucks, but youo have to do what you have to do to stay afloat.

They had a good design on teh old socket A except for height. I think they would need a new arch to get competitive in perf/watt.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004

To be left with Optys going against i7? Ouchies...

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Denithor

To be left with Optys going against i7? Ouchies...

I was trying to be glass-half-full...my long term view on AMD's CPU prospects, and in general regarding the livelihood of TFC, are decidely less optimistic.