AMD is taking over the world!(of computers)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
If AMD gona take over the world, go ahead, let them, but for once i rather they do it with good products, not words, promises that it will be good in X years and fanboys spreading overhype.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Our PHD level candidates are lazy, whiny, uncreative, and suprisingly stupid.

It's similar to the PE situation in everything but structural engineering. The person with the qualifications is just a stamp and is useless as anything else.

Why do you think there are so many indian CEOs?
Does Bill Gates have a Ph.D?

Did Steve Jobs have one?

Wozniak?

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
Does Bill Gates have a Ph.D?

Did Steve Jobs have one?

Wozniak?
Ph.D is worthless degree, at the uni almost everyone has them and man you wouldn't believe that those people sometimes can't even count upto 5.

And Wozniak has some 3 university degrees not sure if any is PH.D

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Ph.D is worthless degree, at the uni almost everyone has them and man you wouldn't believe that those people sometimes can't even count upto 5.

And Wozniak has some 3 university degrees not sure if any is PH.D

What university are you at? I may have hated some of my profs, but it was because they failed at teaching, not that they failed at comprehending the subject they taught. One of the profs in the physics department who was not liked very much (and may not have been a very good teacher in the classroom) was an absolute genius if 1:1. Quite happy to explain things to me by modeling them in PSpice, and was involved with NASA in testing the adhesives they used for the tiles on the space shuttle (this was just after Columbia.)

I work with a number of H1Bs in my job daily. Some are very smart and know what they're doing. Some...well, I don't know who they paid off...but they didn't belong in the US on an H1B writing software.

Additionally, a PHD is not worthless. I do not do R&D, and I don't have NEAR the knowledge that the PHDs in physics do that I know of. I can apply principals and equations. They can explain those principals and equations (and show proofs) in a heartbeat.

Vortex6700

Apr 12, 2015
Not my experience, the chip designers I've known weren't diploma mill h1b'rs.

I don't know what backwater this is supposed to be describing but the engineers I've known worked at Intel, Motorola, AMD, Compaq, Dell, startups and their credentials weren't hollow.

Reasonable proficiency candidates selected from the crowd for virtue signaling PR.

I believe we are talking about two different groups of people. You mention people who have been on the job and provided good enough results to stay there. For every one of them, there are likely tens or hundreds of candidates that had the same qualifications (pre-experience) who washed out.

As a program manager, I cannot staff a project with the people you have listed because they are rare and highly sought-after. I have to look at fresh PHD's and PE's. And of those options, the middle class Americans have the worst perf/watt, so to speak.

custombuild

Apr 23, 2016
The American(White) engineers I speak of are regularly replaced with h1b day laborers to the point of the industry is turning into nothing but indians, a farce to assert it's based on merit, but if you care to elaborate on the differences of your American vs h1b employee pool, do tell.

Last edited:

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
If a person with an accent says it on youtube, it must be true.