AMD is sandbagging

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Heinrich

"Taking the moral high ground" describes a hypocritical situation such as a Christan promoting going to war regardless of the loss of innocent lives and clarity of purpose. Or a politician talking about promoting family values when he himself has been divorced a few times. That's "taking the moral high ground."

I am not "taking the moral high ground". I am describing a process of 'voting with my money' in a more complex way than caring about MYSELF and ME. Try it sometime. I find it rewarding to pay a little extra money at a privately owned restraunt instead of eating at Ruby Tuesdays or Outback.

i was following you till the above ^

i DO care about MYSELF and ME ... that's WHY i got an intel CPU instead of the inferior AMD offering

i ALSO cared about MYSELF enough to order an AMD HD2900xt today for $320 because there is NOTHING in that price range from nvidia that will touch it performance-wise

and i care SO MUCH about MYSELF i do all my own gourmet cooking

and this definition is close enough

http://www.colorado.edu/confli.../treatment/moralhg.htm

Soldiers have traditionally recognized that the high ground (a hill or mountain top) provides a significant military advantage. The term "moral high ground" applies the same principled persuasive (rather than military) power. Parties seeking the moral high ground simply refuse to act in ways which are not viewed as legitimate and morally defensible by the larger the society. The most common example is people who refuse to use violence against an opponent. Nonviolent actors generate an enormous amount of sympathy among outsiders, as they clearly are not threatening their opponents (at least not physically). Therefore, any physical force used against them appears to be highly illegitimate and immoral. In addition to generating outside sympathy, by taking the moral high ground, disputants can generate a sense of guilt among their opponents, which will greatly lessen their opponents' effectiveness.

In addition, parties that take the moral high ground protect themselves from efforts of their opponents to use moral arguments to mobilize supporters. The other obvious advantage of pursuing a moral high ground strategy is that it encourages parties to "do the right thing." (This assumes, of course, that the parties are pursuing interests and strategies which are genuinely morally defensible. If a party acts in an immoral way, while pretending that their actions are morally justified, the result is likely to be much less successful.

there is NOTHING about AMD that is "morally better" than intel ... Exxon is no more evil than BP or any OTHER oil company

AMD is not less "reprehensible" than nvidia

it is a COMPANY that make products ... currently an INFERIOR product to intel ... when it makes BETTER products, then it makes sense for ME to support them

i do not want to reward stupidity and incompetence .. and AMD has demonstrated both clearly and obviously in their willingness to lie to their fans and supporters

yet their product HD2900xt IS compelling to me and i DO want to reward that engineering effort

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
People make stupid decisions all the time. The fact that they may not see it as a stupid decision doesn't mean anything and doesn't change the fact that they're making a stupid decision. Buying an AMD processor right now in the hopes of making a high-performance desktop computer *is* a stupid decision. Buying an AMD processor right now because of wholly ridiculous "moral" considerations vis-a-vis Intel *is* a stupid decision. Just because someone doesn't think 2+2=4 doesn't mean 2+2 isn't 4.

Having said that, I welcome stupid decisions. They need to happen, lest the good decisions become lost. Without the dark, how can you recognize the light?

Amaroque

Platinum Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: zsdersw
People make stupid decisions all the time. The fact that they may not see it as a stupid decision doesn't mean anything and doesn't change the fact that they're making a stupid decision. Buying an AMD processor right now in the hopes of making a high-performance desktop computer *is* a stupid decision. Buying an AMD processor right now because of wholly ridiculous "moral" considerations vis-a-vis Intel *is* a stupid decision. Just because someone doesn't think 2+2=4 doesn't mean 2+2 isn't 4.

Having said that, I welcome stupid decisions. They need to happen, lest the good decisions become lost. Without the dark, how can you recognize the light?

Wow, what a bunch of FUD.

AMD is very competive pricewise. I can't "feel" any difference between my AX2 @ 2.8, or my C2D @ 2.8. Both systems are HDD bound (and I'm using Raptors on both). Yeah a benchmark shows a difference, but you'd be extremely hard pressed to notice an actual difference. When HDD's get 10x faster, it will matter more.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Oh yes, because competitiveness on price is what computer enthusiasts like most of the people here are primarily concerned with.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Oh yes, because competitiveness on price is what computer enthusiasts like most of the people here are primarily concerned with.

Most people here are insignificant, AMD has the best price/performance ratio for all the OEM vendors.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Zstream

Most people here are insignificant, AMD has the best price/performance ratio for all the OEM vendors.

I agree, that explains why AMD is LOSING market share...oh wait...that would mean the opposite...hmmm

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: dmens
Originally posted by: clarkey01
LOL, lots of companies have marketing lines for the gullible self-guilt moralist. Enjoy your inferior, overpriced products.

It's free choice. Next time I'll laugh at someone running while I drive down the same street.

You should not criticize this guy. Oh wait you work for Intel..

I have a M3 which I'm proud of , but I wouldnt laugh or put down someone who had a 320 or 320D.

I would of thought that a hard working, intelligent Intel worker wouldnt go so far. Fair enough, whatever makes you feel better :)

You're right, it is free choice. But this is the kind of choice I find laughable, like a person who spends 20x more for "sea salt", or 10x more for "organic cat litter", or obnoxiously announce that they only drink "fair trade coffee" at the coffee joint and pay more for it. They think it helps make the world a better place when it doesn't.

So did you have an AMD system when they were outperforming Intel's P4?

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Amaroque

AMD is very competive pricewise. I can't "feel" any difference between my AX2 @ 2.8, or my C2D @ 2.8. Both systems are HDD bound (and I'm using Raptors on both). Yeah a benchmark shows a difference, but you'd be extremely hard pressed to notice an actual difference. When HDD's get 10x faster, it will matter more.

LOL, feelings trump benchmarks now? Are you going to feel your way out of buying a K10 when it comes? HAHA. And what are you running, winrar all day? Because unless you have 256MB of RAM and disabled your L2, that's about the only type of job around that is HDD bound.

And to field Looney's question, yes I did, and I'm still using a X2 as my main machine. Waiting for a penryn to upgrade.

Amaroque

Platinum Member
Jan 2, 2005

LOL, feelings trump benchmarks now? Are you going to feel your way out of buying a K10 when it comes? HAHA. And what are you running, winrar all day? Because unless you have 256MB of RAM and disabled your L2, that's about the only type of job around that is HDD bound.

And to field Looney's question, yes I did, and I'm still using a X2 as my main machine. Waiting for a penryn to upgrade.

Umm, not really. W/O running becchmarks, I doubt you could tell the difference between an X2 @ 2.8 and a C2D @ 2.8 in the majoity of apps. That was my point. :confused:

Oh, and my last four builds were three C2D's, and one AX2.

Notice that I DC, so I have a farm of Intel and AMD computers. :D

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
AMD has a stronger FP unit. That is important to us AT DCers

The A64 line in general is ~17% faster than the C2D line in DPAD, but it is a bit slower in folding (clock for clock).
I'm a big DC fan. I think that I need to join the anandtech team. What is DPAD?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
LOL, lots of companies have marketing lines for the gullible self-guilt moralist. Enjoy your inferior, overpriced products.

It's free choice. Next time I'll laugh at someone running while I drive down the same street.

You should not criticize this guy. Oh wait you work for Intel..

I have a M3 which I'm proud of , but I wouldnt laugh or put down someone who had a 320 or 320D.

I would of thought that a hard working, intelligent Intel worker wouldnt go so far. Fair enough, whatever makes you feel better :)

You're right, it is free choice. But this is the kind of choice I find laughable, like a person who spends 20x more for "sea salt", or 10x more for "organic cat litter", or obnoxiously announce that they only drink "fair trade coffee" at the coffee joint and pay more for it. They think it helps make the world a better place when it doesn't.

Maybe but I just think you were kinda hard on the guy...

If we lived by logic, all of us.....Then the world would be different, I wouldnt have an M3, Id have a prius and that guy woud have a core 2 instead of an AMD set up...But its choice.
No, you would still have an m3 because nothing else drives like one. Except my m5. :)

Amaroque

Platinum Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: bryanW1995[/i]
AMD has a stronger FP unit. That is important to us AT DCers

The A64 line in general is ~17% faster than the C2D line in DPAD, but it is a bit slower in folding (clock for clock).
I'm a big DC fan. I think that I need to join the anandtech team. What is DPAD?
[/quote]

Our DC forum on AT is here.

The main welcome thread is here.

The other welcome thread is here.

The DPAD thread is here.

See you over there! :)