AMD, Intel, and nVidia in the next 10 years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Good read! Am surprised it came from Tom. As an audio type I really do miss the sound card options and am prepared to miss the cutting edge graphics as we move into the dumb down console era. All is not lost as a good artist can work with any medium.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Good read! Am surprised it came from Tom. As an audio type I really do miss the sound card options and am prepared to miss the cutting edge graphics as we move into the dumb down console era. All is not lost as a good artist can work with any medium.

I don't think there is a reason to move into the console era is there?

If piracy were eliminated from the PC gaming market I would think bigger things would be in store for discrete video cards.

No piracy= less general risk for game developers= more risk capable of being taken for creative endeavors. Essentially a shift in risk would be the net effect, but that shift in risk would likely be the fore-runner of better software products. Better software products= more demand for PC hardware.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
AMD is doing this next year with Llano. There is already a whole bunch of information about it already out for you to peruse. There are even multiple threads about it in these forums.

Are you sure about this . As I understand it . Llano is a seperate chip just like what intel is doing with i3 dual cores. A link were its actually part of the CPU die would be a nice read if you have one . As I understand it the first functional retail chip with everthing Gpu /CPU on 1 die is sandy bridge. But if you have info or a link saying Llano is all one die please post the link . I like reading.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Are you sure about this . As I understand it . Llano is a seperate chip just like what intel is doing with i3 dual cores. A link were its actually part of the CPU die would be a nice read if you have one . As I understand it the first functional retail chip with everthing Gpu /CPU on 1 die is sandy bridge. But if you have info or a link saying Llano is all one die please post the link . I like reading.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3673

the first image in the article. Isnt that supposed to be a llano, the lower section is the graphics.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3755

Anand mentions Llano will be on the same die halfway down the page here. Look for "Ready for Integration" in that motherboard article (there is also a link to the Llano article).

Dec 30, 2004
worthless article, graphics better than crysis are not important IMO.
I don't care if I can render a pixar frame or not.

also, pixar uses raytracing for their lighting.
In games we approximate that with much more efficient equations. The result is effects indistinguishably similar to raytracing, with orders-of-magnitude better performance..

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Ok it looks to be ondie but it is also after sandy bridge. Which is ondie also. So AMD may or maynot be the more powerful . Fusion is later. There was a reason AMD bought ATI. Looks at i3 and later sandy bridge to find ans. to why AMD bought ATI.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Very nice article, good read. Reminded me that there is more to nvidia than a GPU division that's late, I forgot they had so much software development (mental images, the collaboration with others on movies, etc)

Socc, if you think ray tracing is only "indistinguishably similar" to traditional shader rasterization rendering, you probably haven't seen veery good ray traced images

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
RV770 has over 250 million *more* transistors than G80, and I'm sorry, but with high resolution and filters, the 4850 is slower than the GTX (except in doom 3). The differing manufacturing processes are exactly the point I'm driving at. Smaller transistors means you can fit more of them in a given area, and any way you cut it, RV770 has more hardware than G80.

Even the 2900XT had more transistors than G80, and more bandwidth, and it was a slower card.

You can't compare GTS250 1GB to 4850 512mb cards. In most recent benchmarks that's pretty common. Anyways there almost identical when the ram configs are the same. The 8800GTX is slightly slower then the GTS250. The 4850 is equal to the 250, faster then the 8800GTX but not by the margin that the xtor count varies by.

But really the G80 compared to the G200 makes the G200 look worse the the RV770. Also compare the 4890's 1 billion xtors vs the 285's 1.6 billion. There very close in games yet the xtor difference is huge.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Ok it looks to be ondie but it is also after sandy bridge. Which is ondie also. So AMD may or maynot be the more powerful . Fusion is later. There was a reason AMD bought ATI. Looks at i3 and later sandy bridge to find ans. to why AMD bought ATI.

Llano is the first AMD fusion chip. I am actually extremely surprised you didn't know that considering how much I thought you read up on these things.