AMD incorporates strained silicon into its 90nm process

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
"Advanced Micro Devices has begun to incorporate a form of strained silicon into its chips, a design twist that will let the company increase the performance of its processors.

The strained silicon is being incorporated into all of AMD's 90-nanometer chips, which the Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company has just started shipping to PC makers. The technology also will be added to 130-nanometer chips that will be released this quarter, an AMD representative said Thursday. "

cnet

So this is a surprise. Also, it's being added to 130nm chips? A big surprise there.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
Isn't that what Intel had trouble with?
Supposedly they had a lot of trouble with increased current leakage. Maybe AMD's localized straining will be better (or maybe not). Can anyone more informed than me tell us more?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
... the technical signifigance.. besides what we already know, AMD is the technological leader?:)

Strained silicon is a design technique in which silicon atoms are forcibly pulled apart from each other. With the atoms spaced out further from one other, electrons can move more rapidly, similar to how a hockey puck can zip faster across a rink than across a frozen lake. Faster electrons lead to better performance.

AMD's use of the technology in the chips was first reported by The Semiconductor Reporter.

ow...uh..futher ownage coming

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
If the Prescott is made using the strained silicon process, then how is this ownage by AMD?

Maybe if AMD doesn't have as much trouble with it?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
If the Prescott is made using the strained silicon process, then how is this ownage by AMD?

Maybe if AMD doesn't have as much trouble with it?

When will Intel use SOI? Not anytime soon I don't think. For the past year everything I've read said they may use SOI with their 65nm process... if you ask me, the Prescott could stand to have some decreased heat dissipation... but then again nobody asked me so... :D

dannybin1742

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2002
what amd has going for them is that on top of tis strained silicon, they are also using SOI, maybe this si helping them ramp 90nm production faster---learning from intel's mistakes

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
I think its more the preshotts design rather then the fab process, AMD will do just fine.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Well, AMD should have better luck because they are only using strained silicon in a limited way.