AMD GDC2016 Thread

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
http://videocardz.com/58486/amd-to-demonstrate-polaris-10-gpu-in-steam-vr-benchmark-at-gdc2016

Showcasing next-generation VR-optimized GPU hardware – AMD today demonstrated for the first time ever the company’s forthcoming Polaris 10 GPU running Valve’s Aperture Science Robot Repair demo powered by the HTC Vive Pre. The sample GPU features the recently announced Polaris GPU architecture designed for 14nm FinFET, optimized for DirectX® 12 and VR, and boasts significant architectural improvements over previous AMD architectures including HDR monitor support, industry-leading performance-per-watt2, and AMD’s 4th generation Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture.

Last edited:

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
http://sulon.com/#sectone

AMD announces Sulon Q, first wireless VR and AR headset

Console-quality graphics and powerful processing – The Sulon Q™ headset harnesses the latest in processor technology using the recently launched AMD FX-8800P processor at up to 35W with Radeon™ R7 Graphics leveraging AMD’s Graphics Core Next architecture. The full performance of 4 compute cores and 8 GPU cores are unlocked through a revolutionary Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA), enabling the cores to share memory to work together for dramatic performance and efficiency. The result is a solution that is optimized for modern workloads and media formats, capable of driving the latest graphics APIs including DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™, and able to render stunning videogame console-quality visuals on a beautiful 2560x1440 OLED display. The Sulon Q™ headset also integrates AMD’s LiquidVR technologies to help ensure smooth and responsive VR and AR experiences.

gQRGM.jpg

Sulon Q specifications (via reddit):
  • Experiences:
  • VR, AR, and spatial computing Ergonomics Lightweight, comfortable, ergonomically designed all-in-one tether-free form factor
  • Processors: AMD FX-8800P processor at up to 35W with Radeon™ R7 Graphics leveraging AMD’s Graphics Core Next architecture 4 compute cores and 8 GPU cores unlocked through Heterogeneous System Architecture (HAS) Sulon Spatial Processing Unit (SPU)
  • Memory: 8 GB DDR3 Memory
  • Storage: 256 GB SSD
  • Display: 2560×1440 OLED display at 90 Hz 110-degree Field-of-View
  • Audio: 3D spatial audio powered by GenAudio’s AstoundSound® technology Built-in 3.5 mm audio jack Custom spatially-optimized Sulon Q earbuds Dual noise-cancelling embedded microphones.
  • Tracking: Sulon Spatial Processing Unit combining real-time machine vision technologies and mixed reality spatial computer for real-time environment mapping and tracking from the inside outward, dynamic virtualization for VR/AR fusion, and gesture recognition
  • Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer, SPU
  • Software: Microsoft Windows® 10 “Project Dragon” application for spatial computing AMD LiquidVR technologies for ensure smooth and responsive VR and AR experiences
  • Peripherals: Wireless keyboard and mouse provided in box Any other Windows 10-compatible controllers and joysticks
  • Connectivity: WiFi 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.1 2 x USB 3.0 Type A Micro HDMI OUT

Last edited:

Good_fella

Feb 12, 2015
http://sulon.com/#sectone

Console-quality graphics and powerful processing – The Sulon Q™ headset harnesses the latest in processor technology using the recently launched AMD FX-8800P processor at up to 35W with Radeon™ R7 Graphics leveraging AMD’s Graphics Core Next architecture. The full performance of 4 compute cores and 8 GPU cores are unlocked through a revolutionary Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA), enabling the cores to share memory to work together for dramatic performance and efficiency. The result is a solution that is optimized for modern workloads and media formats, capable of driving the latest graphics APIs including DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™, and able to render stunning videogame console-quality visuals on a beautiful 2560x1440 OLED display. The Sulon Q™ headset also integrates AMD’s LiquidVR technologies to help ensure smooth and responsive VR and AR experiences.

You forgot one feature. Fixed.

If you are here to troll you can leave right now.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
"AMD Takes 83% Share of Global VR System Market"... I presume that they are including PS4 in that?

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Did I read it wrong or did it not state console quality graphics at <35w?

If it's correct I see no reason to poke fun at it.

The FX-8800p is a 35w Carrizo laptop APU. The consoles are of course older AMD APU designs. It stands to reason Sulon should be able to achieve parity at a lower wattage with AMD's latest and greatest.

Audio: 3D spatial audio powered by GenAudio&#8217;s AstoundSound® technology

Looks like AMD's TrueAudio is in play!

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
The FX-8800p is a 35w Carrizo laptop APU. The consoles are of course older AMD APU designs. It stands to reason Sulon should be able to achieve parity at a lower wattage with AMD's latest and greatest.

If they are only using the integrated graphics, then no way. Both consoles have way more GPU shaders, but more importantly way more memory bandwidth. Even the less powerful XBox One has 256-bit DDR3, vs the 128-bit DDR3 on that APU.

Maybe there's a discrete GPU in there, something like Polaris 10.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Poor [nobody] trying to troll, but missed the boat when realizing that console quality graphics means high quality in games these days, so really that is a bonus considering its running @ 35 watts and 1440p @ 90hz.

Not to mention that it already says "console quality graphics" in the 2nd sentence highlighted... but trolls are trolls.

Member callouts are not permitted here.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Looks like AMD's TrueAudio is in play!

Do you ever get tired of playing down or throwing pun at all things AMD?

Seems like a decent product as it's a all in one solution too me. Not sure about me being the target audience and the pricing. Seems like the no strings(or is it cords) attached is a huge plus.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Interesting headset. Being wireless is a huge deal but with the hardware the games will be very limited. Perhaps they're tying it to a fast memory pool to improve performance. 35W + screens to power will still require a decent battery so I suspect this VR headset won't be light.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
Super interesting. I can imagine a Gen.2 version of this at 14nm with 2 Zen cores and Polaris CU's being perfect.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Interesting headset. Being wireless is a huge deal but with the hardware the games will be very limited. Perhaps they're tying it to a fast memory pool to improve performance. 35W + screens to power will still require a decent battery so I suspect this VR headset won't be light.

I can't see it having the best battery life either, but it is an interesting product.

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
someone made a good suggestion on ars saying they didn't have to put it all on the players head. Could have had a backpack or something that hangs around the waist.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
This product is not so interesting because of the weak hardware. But it lays the groundwork for a follow on product in 2017. Now give me a next gen 14LPP Zen APU with 4 cores (8 threads) and a 1024 sp Polaris GPU with 8 GB HBM2. Thats when it gets really interesting. :)

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
I can't see it having the best battery life either, but it is an interesting product.
What the average length a normal person games daily? Then what is the average for vr gamers? If this can do 2 hours untethered, that might be enough.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
If they are only using the integrated graphics, then no way. Both consoles have way more GPU shaders, but more importantly way more memory bandwidth. Even the less powerful XBox One has 256-bit DDR3, vs the 128-bit DDR3 on that APU.

Maybe there's a discrete GPU in there, something like Polaris 10.

I didn't specify, but I was thinking more ballpark level parity. Afterall they didn't say what console. They could have meant Wii. Either way my point is the 8800 has way more CPU grunt. GPU isn't as powerful as far as # of shaders, but is GCN 1.2 vs GCN 1.0.

It could have a P10 in there, but then that is ~70w to dissipate vs 35w. It's also more complex to manufacture. I also think they would have mentioned it if it did.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
What the average length a normal person games daily? Then what is the average for vr gamers? If this can do 2 hours untethered, that might be enough.

Per week.

5-6.5hrs.

I don't think that this is a product for normal people as anything VR right now is going to be an enthusiast product due to cost requirements alone. This could well be the cheapest solution in the bunch, but it's still going to be too expensive for the average gamer to get involved with.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
I don't think that this is a product for normal people as anything VR right now is going to be an enthusiast product due to cost requirements alone. This could well be the cheapest solution in the bunch, but it's still going to be too expensive for the average gamer to get involved with.

This is probably going to be the most expensive, as its an all-in-one solution.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
My point was you dont need stellar battery life and i seriously doubt people are going to be having 5+ hout sessions in vr, there is no way that would be good for your health(especially mentally).

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Hmm, pcper is going to host this now?
AMD Capsaicin GDC 2016 Live Stream and Blog - 3:30pm PT / 6:30pm ET

In a surprise move, we are hosting the live stream of AMD's GDC 2016 event titled "Capsaicin" and will also be live blogging along side it