AMD Gaming Evolved Control Center Beta

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Since this software has been publicly released in beta form with the latest AMD driver package beta, I figured it would be appropriate to have a separate thread discussing it, as it will last longer than the driver package beta. So I'll give my first impressions. The app is made of two functional halves: for optimizing settings in games, and as a client for the Raptr service. This thread is only for talking about the game optimization half. Discussion about the Raptr service probably belongs in the PC gaming section.

First a few notes about how it installs and starts up. After installing it as part of the driver package and restarting your PC, it runs immediately at startup and does a scan on your PC for installed games. There's no apparent way to prevent it from doing this, so if you're strict about not letting software scan your PC and phone home with the data, then the Gaming Evolved app is not for you.

After that, the app started up, and it had detected all my games (I only have a handful of games installed, currently). It is possible go into settings and turn off information gathering on your PC, but the information gathering is sort of the point of the app. See, the game optimization has nothing to do with AMD or Raptr developers running tests on each game and deciding which settings are the best. Rather, the app gathers hardware, usage, and performance data from users (the "AMD community") and compiles that data to determine which settings are best for "Performance", "Balanced", and "Quality" levels. As this is a brand new beta release and very few AMD users have installed it, let alone used it much, currently most games give me a "This game does not yet have enough data from the AMD community" messaged, not even the Gaming Evolved branded games (Tomb Raider and Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut, to be specific). But that's really to be expected considering the nature of the service and its beta form. Only one game, Skyrim, initially gave me some optimization data (it suggested I turn down a bunch of settings even on "quality". Pfft. A 7870 is plenty enough to max out unmodded Skyrim's settings at 1080p). However, possibly due to a beta glitch, it's changed to showing me the same "This game does not have enough data" message.

So the actual utility of this app to PC graphics enthusiasts is pretty limited. You won't gain anything that you can't get from a couple minutes of tweaking settings yourself, and it's not as accurate as running some benchmarks to evaluate performance. However, I think that PC graphics enthusiasts are exactly the kind of people AMD and Raptr want to be using the service. Why? So they can collect our usage data and use it to come up with the optimal settings. The more PC graphics enthusiasts use the service, the more accurate their optimal setting suggestions will be for people who don't know so much about tweaking PC settings. I think that's a worthwhile goal to pursue per se, it's just up to you if you think having your PC monitored for gaming usage data is worth it.

Aug 11, 2008
Since this software has been publicly released in beta form with the latest AMD driver package beta, I figured it would be appropriate to have a separate thread discussing it, as it will last longer than the driver package beta. So I'll give my first impressions. The app is made of two functional halves: for optimizing settings in games, and as a client for the Raptr service. This thread is only for talking about the game optimization half. Discussion about the Raptr service probably belongs in the PC gaming section.

First a few notes about how it installs and starts up. After installing it as part of the driver package and restarting your PC, it runs immediately at startup and does a scan on your PC for installed games. There's no apparent way to prevent it from doing this, so if you're strict about not letting software scan your PC and phone home with the data, then the Gaming Evolved app is not for you.

After that, the app started up, and it had detected all my games (I only have a handful of games installed, currently). It is possible go into settings and turn off information gathering on your PC, but the information gathering is sort of the point of the app. See, the game optimization has nothing to do with AMD or Raptr developers running tests on each game and deciding which settings are the best. Rather, the app gathers hardware, usage, and performance data from users (the "AMD community") and compiles that data to determine which settings are best for "Performance", "Balanced", and "Quality" levels. As this is a brand new beta release and very few AMD users have installed it, let alone used it much, currently most games give me a "This game does not yet have enough data from the AMD community" messaged, not even the Gaming Evolved branded games (Tomb Raider and Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut, to be specific). But that's really to be expected considering the nature of the service and its beta form. Only one game, Skyrim, initially gave me some optimization data (it suggested I turn down a bunch of settings even on "quality". Pfft. A 7870 is plenty enough to max out unmodded Skyrim's settings at 1080p). However, possibly due to a beta glitch, it's changed to showing me the same "This game does not have enough data" message.

So the actual utility of this app to PC graphics enthusiasts is pretty limited. You won't gain anything that you can't get from a couple minutes of tweaking settings yourself, and it's not as accurate as running some benchmarks to evaluate performance. However, I think that PC graphics enthusiasts are exactly the kind of people AMD and Raptr want to be using the service. Why? So they can collect our usage data and use it to come up with the optimal settings. The more PC graphics enthusiasts use the service, the more accurate their optimal setting suggestions will be for people who don't know so much about tweaking PC settings. I think that's a worthwhile goal to pursue per se, it's just up to you if you think having your PC monitored for gaming usage data is worth it.

Can you install the latest driver without this even running once? I was about to install the new driver, but don't really want my PC scanned.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
I would think they'd at least have a baseline, doesn't Geforce Experience have that? How hard can it be for the app to scan your CPU/GPU and recommend some settings? Almost every game I have installed tells me not enough data.

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
Wonder what made them go with Raptr, that site is one of the worst when it comes to tracking trophies and achievements. Constantly broken and they don't have any permission from Microsoft or Sony to be fetching data. They even ask for your actual Xbox Live credentials to track achievements that are marked secret yet no other site does.

I realize this AMD Game Center stuff is somewhat separate but I'm staying far away from installing any Raptr app... and honestly, this is just another reason for me to go Nvidia. Bloatware in the drivers is not appreciated.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I'd use the Nvidia version for the other features, like Shadow Play as an example.

This program is just crap >.<

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
what I would like to have is CCC giving me the option to have a max fps lock, and downscaling.

I think this is just a geforce experience clone right?
I think most here are not going to use this.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Neither this nor the Nvidia version of it will touch my PC.

I was unaware Geforce Experience was a version of Raptr as well.

I have used it with my 460 and it was good.

I was under the impression that the Geforce Experience used the various WHQL validation systems Nvidia set up to test the settings.

This Raptr trojan is literally just scans your computer and puts your configuration into their database for others to see as the "best configuration"

Last edited:

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
I liked the integrated Twitch streaming. All in all, a pretty decent program. Will probably keep using it.

Shortcake

Feb 1, 2014
I just purchased a new gaming laptop. It came with a card for a free game. I can not, for the life of me, get the instruction to work. I have been trying for days. Now it says it will expire tonight. I can not even get a support tech, online or by phone to assist me.
WW.AMD.COM/GAMEPROMO doesn't work. There is no place to enter the CODE.
HELP!!!

Last edited: