AMD FX-6100 Max Turbo (3.9ghz)

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by 2cents, Jun 1, 2012.

1. 2cents

2cents Junior Member

Has anyone been able to get a 6100 to the specified 3.9 GHz range when turbo is enabled? For starters, I have enabled the following options in my ASrock 990fx extreme3 bios: Turbo, APM, C1e, and C6 power states. When in Windows, CoreTemp shows all six cores idling at 1.4 GHz as it should. When I stress a couple of the cores, the frequency jumps around and peaks to 3.6 GHz. AMD claims there is a "Max TurboBoost mode" that shuts off two or more cores and boosts the remaining cores all the way up to 3.9 GHz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBhu4rRIA8&noredirect=1 How can I test this statement? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Sometimes seeing is believing. :D

-Thanks guys.

2. Cpus

Cpus Senior member

I think thats only when youre not using it in applications that require a lot of the processor.

3. borisvodofsky

borisvodofsky Diamond Member

What you reallly want to do is overclock that sucker to 4.5ghz on ALL cores. ;), and disable turbo for 4.5ghz constant because it's such an inexpensive processor that you can just use it hard-core and let it die, and buy another one. :twisted:

4. superccs

superccs Senior member

To test the turbo fuinction you speak of, run Prime 95 on just one core.

5. borisvodofsky

Genius :colbert:

6. 2cents

2cents Junior Member

Thanks for replying. I tried that and it will keep my clock speed at 3.0GHz. Five cores will be locked at 3.0GHz and the sixth core will bounce around from 3.0-3.3GHz. I also used one of my personal favorites, a program called SP2004 with the same results. LoL, AMD what gives? :confused:

7. Homeles

Homeles Platinum Member

It needs to be running on only one core.

8. 2cents

2cents Junior Member

Sorry, I may have typed that a little funny. Yes, I did test it on one core, core number 1. Those were my results. Core one and two-five were all locked at 3.0GHz. The sixth core would bounce around from 3.0-3.3GHz. Sorry for the confusion.

9. sequoia464

sequoia464 Senior member

Install AMD overdrive -

1). In the performance part of the menu, under Clock/Voltage click the Turbo Core Control button - make sure the Turbo is enabled on that screen.
    2. Go back to CPU status under Status Monitor and click CPU status - watch this screen while running a CPU intensive task - it should show what speeds and multipliers your cores are running at.

10. 2cents

2cents Junior Member

Awesome. Yep, that did it. I noticed in the Turbo Core Control section my target value was set to 3.6GHz. I moved the slider up to 3.9GHz and bam whenever I stress one core it sends (a max of four cores) up to 3.9GHz as advertised. Thank you my digital comrade for your knowledge! :thumbsup:

11. chimaxi83

chimaxi83 Diamond Member

Hey OP, in case you were wondering, don't listen to this guy ^^^ :)

12. 2cents

2cents Junior Member

Hehe, yeah it was tempting. Even though the processor is stupid cheap... i'm still poor after buying this system. I'm now on the ramen noodle, crackers, and water diet. :'(

13. chimaxi83

chimaxi83 Diamond Member

The ramen noodle diet is common around here lately :)

14. sequoia464

sequoia464 Senior member

Around here we can eat for two days off one package.
    Day one is a delicious noodle treat ( especially tasty with a couple of those free taco bell packages of fire sauce)
    Day two we like to cook up the seasoning packet (the artificial simulated chicken flavor is our favorite) - into a delectablely filling broth.

15. borisvodofsky

No one here knows more about practical-use than I do.

Your CPU is brand new in terms of "durability". You will probably use it for 2 years maximum, because all Cpu intensive games "as of current" loses 30-50% of frame-rates on all Bulldozer CPUs.

So, WHY NOT take the 15-25% performance gain through overclocking.

You have nothing to lose, because technically, your cpu is behind the times already. I'm not trying to be mean. :wub:

Let's say your CPU wears out, and you lose the ability to "sustain" the overclocked speed. Then you just put it back to stock, and it'll continue to run for another 5 years. :colbert:

16. borisvodofsky

I would listen to me, considering how pathetic your overclock is. :twisted:

17. chimaxi83

chimaxi83 Diamond Member

Do you have any actual knowledge concerning what you're posting about? Just wondering.

Also, my 2600K hits 5.5GHz. Do I need it there other than during benches? No. But nice try, little guy ;)

18. borisvodofsky

Oh please, anyone can run mad volts and says my blah blah does xxxxx.

I was referring to your pathetic sample of a 2600 that needs 1.32 just to hit 4.5. o_O

19. chimaxi83

chimaxi83 Diamond Member

Lol uhh, ok bro. You ok there? You sound mad :rolleyes: I'll let you know how my 3930K does in a few days.

20. borisvodofsky

I just despise your weak-sauce methodology and conservative outlooks. ;)

21. blckgrffn

blckgrffn Diamond Member

It doesn't seem right that you would have to make a change through Overdrive to get the advertised max turbo.

Is that really common with BD?

22. podspi

podspi Golden Member

I think the CPU changes frequency faster than Overdrive displays it. I know people rag on Thuban's turbo, but I never saw it hit turbo in Overdrive either. So I ran a few singlethreaded benchmarks with turbo on and off, and sure enough I saw a difference.

23. sequoia464

sequoia464 Senior member

I don't know if you should have to or not - but it seemed to work for me when I was using a 6100.

I don't know how much I really trust Overdrives outputs anyway - right now I'm using a 960T with 6 cores - FSB 240 and mult at 16 = 3840 with turbo enabled at 17.5 = 4200.

Asus's AI suite and CPU-Z show correctly - but Overdrive is showing all six cores running close to 5000MHz with the multiplier showing as much as 21.
    This thing would crash in an instant at those speeds. I probably screwed up a setting somewhere but so far it eludes me.

Overdrive did seem to report correctly with the 6100 though.

24. blckgrffn

blckgrffn Diamond Member

Gotcha.

Turbo on Thuban is so useless as to be a joke (see Anands article) - the gains it brings are small enough to be attributed to error - so I am not as concerned with that :)

BD supposedly has the best Turbo implementation of all "Turbo" enabled CPUs, including those from Intel (again, from Anandtech Prime), so if it isn't actually hitting full speed I think that is concerning.

Thanks for the info :) AMD Overdrive has been a little wonky in my experience too, but has been better than the alternatives...

25. Magic Carpet

Magic Carpet Diamond Member

Well, it's not useless. It's just not as often used as it can be :cool: