AMD Fusion with Phenom II and HD4890?

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
Does the AMD fusion utility provide any sizable performance increase for games on computers using AMD Phenom II cpus and HD4890s (or HD5770s?)?

Just curious since I now have an AMD quad core and am looking to get an HD5830

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If I recall correctly, AMD said part of the benefit is in non-frame rate related areas as well... such as level loading times.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I haven't tried Fusion but did play with Overdrive, and it's like a poor man's lobs.. or Turbo Boost. As for Overdrive, it lets you assign processor affinity, multipliers per core, and vCore on-the-fly. Imagine NV's control panel and replace the AA, AF, etc. with those and you get the idea.

If you look closely you can see it has assigned 3 cores for GRID at +1 multipliers. Interestingly it lowers the unused core's multi by -3. You have to be careful with AMD's profiles because I saw it raising the multi by +2. If you've already overclocked your CPU to the limit, that will obviously cause trouble. And overall I felt it was not polished enough and didn't bother with it for long.

On the other hand, the ability to assign affinity can definitely come in handy. I suggest to ignore AMD's profiles and try creating custom rules and see how it works.