AMD founder's edition tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Tons of people have lashed out against Nvidia on this forum for steady price increases yet I hear little to no backlash for amd?

Why is this?

We were promised a $200 price point for the rx480. This miraculously turned into a 4gb and 8gb card. Which the 8gb card was $20 more.... Then $40 more. Then we throw in online retailer markup/aib cards and now we see cars above $260-270. From $200 to ~$270 it sounds like a founder's edition to me.

Just because amd didn't call it something special let's not be blind here. Amd definitely jacked the price is of the planned 480 price significantly.

Why is there so much hype and love for this card that is far more expensive than originally advertised for?. I thought we were against rising prices on here.....

kondziowy

Feb 19, 2016
Because now everybody know the hidden value in AMD cards. Even at this price it's a good deal. RX480 will easily beat 1060 over time and even maybe 1070 after a few years just like 290 jumped from 780 to over 780Ti and over 980 in DX12.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
when nvdia lowers 1060 prices to 200 and 240, the love would go away. there, your answer.

all that talk about prices and the most obvious in your face answer, you missed.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
There were $200 4gb cards at release. The 8GB was never given official pricing before launch just guesses. The custom 4GB cards are ~$220ish.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
What? What proof do you have AMD has charged anymore more than they said they would? As far as is evident, its etailers and AIB partner versions that are selling over MSRP.

nVidia literally sells a founder's edition on their website for more than MSRP

Two entirely different scenarios...

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Well, I am sure this will get locked up as being a troll post, but here is my response anyway.

1: AMD promised that the RX480 would start at $199, and it did.

2: AIB models are not a founders tax, they always cost more because their cost to build is more. Better components and coolers equates to a higher price.

3: nVidia charged an extra $100 for a reference card, while AIb cards actually were LESS in many cases.

4: Retailers marking up prices is entirely outside the hands of AMD, they have no control over this.

This is not rocket science, its all very clear.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Because now everybody know the hidden value in AMD cards. Even at this price it's a good deal. RX480 will easily beat 1060 over time and even maybe 1070 after a few years just like 290 jumped from 780 to over 780Ti and over 980 in DX12.

There's no hidden value in a card that performs worse than a GTX 1060 today, didn't deliver on the overclocking headroom promises, draws more power than the competitor and to make things worse, is more difficult to find in stock at MSRP.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
Tons of people have lashed out against Nvidia on this forum for steady price increases yet I hear little to no backlash for amd?

Why is this?

This members on this forum are, in general, biased towards AMD from my observations.

We were promised a $200 price point for the rx480. This miraculously turned into a 4gb and 8gb card. Which the 8gb card was $20 more.... Then $40 more. Then we throw in online retailer markup/aib cards and now we see cars above $260-270. From $200 to ~$270 it sounds like a founder's edition to me.

It's kind of a reverse founders edition. The reference cards are designed to be as cheap as possible and serve as a bottom-of-the-barrel price. Founders Edition is designed to be "Apple-esque" -- in other words, high mfg cost for a premium look and feel, and it determines the practical ceiling for the pricing of the GPUs.

Just because amd didn't call it something special let's not be blind here. Amd definitely jacked the price is of the planned 480 price significantly.

Why is there so much hype and love for this card that is far more expensive than originally advertised for?. I thought we were against rising prices on here.....

Like I said, forum seems generally AMD biased. That's just how it is around here.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
Why was this thread created? Its extremely petty and adds literally zero to VC&G.

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: I reject this thread and your premise. Nonsense detected.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Here are my purchase prices for my RX 480s:
(2) Sapphire RX 480 4GB 8GB at $199.99 each (MSRP)
(1) Sapphire RX 480 4GB 8GB at $169.99 + tax (MSRP - $30 Amazon.com VISA promo)
(4) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 4GB at $218.49 each + tax (Preorder Discover 5% cashback)
(1) Powercolor RX 480 8GB at $214.99 (MSRP minus $25 off $200 PayPal)
(1) Powercolor RX 480 8GB at $239.99 (MSRP)

Now a $299 ASUS Strix preorder is a different story entirely. But as far as reference cards go they come in stock at MSRP to at least one retailer every day, sometimes multiple retailers, multiple times in one day. The Amazon.com Sapphire preorders aren't far off the mark either.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Low AMD stock means they can't make enough. Low NVIDIA stock means yield problems. No wait. It's the other way around. No it isn't. Yes it is. No it isn't. Etc.

AMD vs. NVIDIA is basically NFL for nerds. Most of us adults are interested in technology, curious about their businesses from an investment market perspective and buy based on various factors that are important to us. It's not hard skimming over the kiddos rooting for one brand over another. You'd think these companies were running for president based on the emotions displayed here.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
This members on this forum are, in general, biased towards AMD from my observations.

It's kind of a reverse founders edition. The reference cards are designed to be as cheap as possible and serve as a bottom-of-the-barrel price. Founders Edition is designed to be "Apple-esque" -- in other words, high mfg cost for a premium look and feel, and it determines the practical ceiling for the pricing of the GPUs.

Like I said, forum seems generally AMD biased. That's just how it is around here.

:thumbsup:

I do get OP. It was "$200 Premium VR GPU" from the get go, not "$200 4GB Premium VR GPU, 8GB $240" from the get go.

Someone in another thread said it best. This was AMD marketing doing it's job. Sell the public the $200 price point, make the reviewers fawn over it and then make the $200 price point basically a unicorn. Some will get it, some will wait for it, some will give up trying to find it.

But post I quoted sums up why "AMD is selling like hotcakes" while "NV paper launched."

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
[ Citation Needed ]

for AMD "promising" an 8GB card for $200.

I'll wait.

(I have a GTX 980ti so I guess I'm Team Green, but this thread's premise is nonsense.)

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

But there is NOTHING premium about the founders edition cards, except for the price. They can't cool well, they are not that quiet, and they are just a plastic housing like every other card. Its not like we are talking the original Titan here, which had a very premium look and feel, as well as great materials. We are talking a cheap cooler put onto a card that cost $100 more than it should have.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
There's no hidden value in a card that performs worse than a GTX 1060 today, didn't deliver on the overclocking headroom promises, draws more power than the competitor and to make things worse, is more difficult to find in stock at MSRP.

1: Performance is only worse than 1060 in some games, in other games its faster, in some they are on par. Meaning, neither is really faster than the other, they are two products that compete very well with each other.

2: AMD never promised anything about OC'ing.

3: GCN will always draw more than nVidia because of the architectural differences. One day nVidia is going to need to add compute power back to their cards, when they do, we will see their power draw go up.

4: Just about every etailer gets stock in on almost a daily basis for stock, reference, RX 480 cards. Nowinstock will notify you quite often that cards are in stock. Its VERY easy to get one.

eddman

Dec 28, 2010
There is no AMD tax. It's the retailers and etailers who have jacked up the prices on some models; the same thing they are doing to non-FE 1070 and 1080 cards. 1060s are selling at MSRP though.

We can't be 100% sure, though. AMD is still using the GCN architecture that came along with the 7000 series with some improvements here and there, meaning that newer games optimized for GCN still play well on older AMD cards.

The geforce 700 series was kepler based and it was a good architecture back then, but since NVidia moved to a very different architecture in the form of Maxwell, developers are not properly optimizing their games for kepler anymore.

The 900 cards shouldn't have that problem (at least not in DX11), seeing that pascal is still pretty much Maxwell, so newer games should theoretically perform fine on Maxwell.

It's most probably NVidia's doing too, basically not optimizing kepler's performance for new titles in their drivers.

DX12 is another matter though. Maxwell's lack of dynamic load balancing and preemption will hurt it there. Pascal should be able to hold its own to some extent but we cannot be sure until more DX12 games show up, with proper Pascal async support, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.