AMD FirePro S9300 x2

prtskg

Oct 26, 2015
This seems like a big contract -
http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/firepro-s9300-x2-gpu-2016mar31.aspx
Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment (CHIME) will harness the AMD FirePro™ S9300 x2 Server GPU, the world’s fastest single-precision GPU accelerator1, to analyze extraordinary amounts of data to help create a new, very detailed 3D map of the largest volume of the Universe ever observed.
It's good that AMD is winning contracts like these which will help its financial position.
What I was interested in knowing was how many firepros will be needed for this project or the estimated financial benefit of this project.

EDit - It seems around 1000 gpus were required.
http://www.nature.com/news/half-pipe-telescope-will-probe-dark-energy-in-teen-universe-1.18088

Last edited:

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
I can already imagine how much faster my school Reversi OpenCL implementation from back in the day would run on this. :))

Seriously though, if you can use all that power it must be a nice card. The dual GPU is probably detected as a separate device I assume.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
A big win from a card with a relatively narrow/focused HPC function. But then, at that level of computing, narrow focus is often desired.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Expanding universe? What a bullshit reason to justify spending millions for hardware to jump on the ETH mining bandwagon. Lets not kid ourselves...

What difference to anybody expanding universe does?

Apoplexy

Nov 16, 2011
Expanding universe? What a bullshit reason to justify spending millions for hardware to jump on the ETH mining bandwagon. Lets not kid ourselves...

What difference to anybody expanding universe does?

People said the same thing when conic sections were being studied by mathematicians hundreds of years ago. They were a purely theoretical mathematical field.

The same goes for the quaternion society in the 1890's, and then general relativity as well as quantum mechanics made great use of these tools 30 years later. Just because there is no use we can currently think of does not mean we should avoid researching it.

Not to mention, if this project can help confirm that the cosmological constant omega is in fact equal to 1, this would have far reaching consequences for future exploration and observation of the universe.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
A big win from a card with a relatively narrow/focused HPC function. But then, at that level of computing, narrow focus is often desired.

Exactly, I think that this is an absolutely fantastic product for AMD because it's so strongly a niche product. They're currently trying to break in, and it'd be much better for them to get some strong wins to show it's viable than to offer a solution that's almost as good in all cases, because they need convincing wins to get customers.

topmounter

Aug 3, 2010
Last edited:

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Canadians are always dreaming up a lotta ways to ruin our lives. The metric system, for the love of God! Celsius! Neil Young!

And now they are trying to steal all the hydrogens under the guise of this "expanding universe" nonsense!!!1! ;)

;)

Finally, someone who can sense a truckload of sarcasm on the 01.04 :thumbsup:

Now that I had time to read through press release, those are double FuryX cards, nice. Explains why those are not available for gamers yet, or ever will for that matter.

prtskg

Oct 26, 2015
Apparently 1000 gpus were required according to this 2015 article.
http://www.nature.com/news/half-pipe-telescope-will-probe-dark-energy-in-teen-universe-1.18088
To sort out where individual signals are coming from, a custom-built supercomputer made of 1,000 relatively cheap graphics-processing units — the type used for high-end computer gaming — will crunch through nearly 1 terabyte of data per second. The team will also use signal amplifiers originally developed for mobile phones. Without such powerful consumer-electronics components, CHIME would have been prohibitively expensive, says experimental cosmologist Keith Vanderlinde of the University of Toronto, Canada, who is co-leading the project.

Magee_MC

Jan 18, 2010
This seems like a big contract -
http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/firepro-s9300-x2-gpu-2016mar31.aspx
It's good that AMD is winning contracts like these which will help its financial position.
What I was interested in knowing was how many firepros will be needed for this project or the estimated financial benefit of this project.

EDit - It seems around 1000 gpus were required.

And suddenly AMD making the Radeon Pro Duo doesn't seem so stupid. It seems that there are people VERY interested in buying it.

sam_816

Aug 9, 2014
But can it run Crysis 3 on ultra? Or arkham knight on steady 60fps :p

It's another positive for AMD. Hope they will use this money to intensify the competition in gpu market.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Wonder what the discount was for 500 video cards?

Or 1000, depending on what the writer meant.

I'm betting 100%.

Trolling is not allowed here
Markfw900

Last edited by a moderator:

prtskg

Oct 26, 2015
I would be interested in it, if it had CUDA.
Thanks to Boltzmann Initiative (Radeon Open Compute), it can use CUDA programs. In fact this very project has used it.

And it is my humble request to some people that they don't post useless comments in this thread.:)