AMD dual core CPU + WinXP SP2/SP3

jrichrds

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
With WinXP, having an AMD dual core CPU running optimally involved installing a couple MS hotfixes, a registry edit and boot.ini edit, an AMD processor driver, and the AMD Dual Core Optimizer.

I know things have changed, especially with the release of Microsoft's kb896256 v4 hotfix. Installed on an SP2 system, it makes the necessary entry for you in the registry while the AMD processor driver makes the necessary entry for you in the boot.ini file.

So my questions are:
1. Is it true that you should have either kb896256 v4 or the AMD Dual Core Optimizer installed, but not both? (i.e. they both do the same thing)

2. What happens with WinXP SP3?

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
I installed the AMD CPU driver and the AMD Dual Core Optimizer even though I'm using XP SP3. I didn't install the hotfix though.

Even when I was using SP2, I installed just the CPU driver and the Dual core Optimizer. Everything was fine for me.

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
Just in case someone brings this up, certain name-brand machines with AMD CPUs refuse to boot when SP3 is added. If you installed your own copy of Windows, (or in jrichrds' case, checked your own drivers,) this does not apply to you.

Link for full details

Cliff notes: HP left Intel drivers installed on their AMD machines. SP3 barfs all over this.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
Originally posted by: geokilla
I installed the AMD CPU driver and the AMD Dual Core Optimizer even though I'm using XP SP3. I didn't install the hotfix though.

Even when I was using SP2, I installed just the CPU driver and the Dual core Optimizer. Everything was fine for me.

Is the Dual Core Optimizer just an Athlon program? It doesn't appear in the list for Opteron downloads.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
Originally posted by: fallsroad
Originally posted by: Aquila76

Is the Dual Core Optimizer just an Athlon program? It doesn't appear in the list for Opteron downloads.

It is also for the dual core Opterons. I use it with my Opteron 180, and it fixed some minor problems with some older games.

Driver is here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Proce...0_182_871_9706,00.html

Thanks. I thought this should be the case with the 939 Optys since they're same architecture as the 64X2's.