AMD Drivers keeps crashing in Windows-8

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011
Hi,
Ever since I installed Windows -8 Pro ( 64 bit ) on my Multi Monitor system, all my screens go black with following error message.
" AMD Drivers stopped Responding & has Recovered "
It happens so many times an hour that I had to stop using Windows -8 completely.
Even the worst thing is that if I have more than one hard drive connected & driver crashes, then on next reboot my system automatically starts disk checking which takes hours for a 3.0 GB slave HDD.
I never had this problem with Windows -7 using the same system.
My system configuration is as follows.
Dell T-7500 Workstation.
Intel Xeon E5645 2.4 GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Fire Pro 2460 Video Cards ( 3 of them. Each supports 4 Monitors )
12 Dell 24 inch ( 1920x1200) Monitors
I downloaded AMD Drivers for workstation & FirePro 2460 Video card from following AMD Links.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/fire/Pages/firepro_win8-64.aspx
AMD has not updated Drivers since December 2012.
I will appreciate any & all help.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Have you tried a driver before that one? You will need to submit a bug report to AMD - and/or as them if that's the latest driver....

Have you resat the video card? sometimes moving the system around can disrupt the seating....*not supposed to but can happen* and also check if its go external power going to it if they are still connected.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
OK unplug all the cards and start the system with just one.Also disable the disk checking for every improper shutdowns.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Windows -8 Pro ( 64 bit )
*shivers*

I never had this problem with Windows -7 using the same system.
Id just stick with windows 7 then :p

Honestly if windows 8 is costing you work hours by haveing weird crashes (reguardless of what type) and non where there with windows 7, then the solution is easy. The hard "fix" is finding out what actually makes said error happend and fix it (by keeping windows 8).

AMD Fire Pro 2460 Video Cards ( 3 of them. Each supports 4 Monitors )
Useing 12 monitors at same time = badass.

Last edited:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
It's a Dell system right? Try the driver offered from Dell, sometimes the Dell video card variations don't play nice with the generic AMD drivers.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
A quick search shows that Dell does not support Windows 8 on this model, so it is probably going to be hit or miss with this one. Are you running the A15 BIOS?

dan99t

Nov 29, 2011
Let me see if Ican answer most questions by what I tried.

First, I have a hard drive with Win -7, with identical partitions & data.

I cloned it & deleted the system partition & installed Win - 8 and installed latest drivers from AMD but that didn't work.

Then I tried several earlier versions of AMD drivers but that didn't work.

I removed the Win-8 HDD & placed the Win -7 drive & no problem, tht indicated that all Video cards are in proper place & nothing loose.

I installed Win -8 on a completely balnk HDD in system partition with nothing else on that drive & that didn't help.

I opened the case & turned on Air Conditioner till my a...s froze & that didn't work.

Dell does not offer these video Cards & hence no drivers from them.

After fresh install, system starts crashing even before I install AMD drivers.

I was given a runaround when I tried to find a way to complain to AMD. There is no easier way to simply report this problem to AMD. AMD site will keep you spinning without giving you a way to post your problem.

FirePro 2460 is a Low Profile card without Fan cooling. It is not as complicated as some of their gaming cards. It is designed just for Fancial market data which are nothing compared to games.

Did I miss anything ?

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I read that Win 8 was having problems with Nvidia GPU systems in surround. I had a 3 monitor system with surround and only upgraded to Windows 8 when I went back to 1 monitor. I know this is NOT the response you want but I would re-install Windows 7 and then contact windows support for Windows 8 to see if they can help.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
I read that Win 8 was having problems with Nvidia GPU systems in surround. I had a 3 monitor system with surround and only upgraded to Windows 8 when I went back to 1 monitor. I know this is NOT the response you want but I would re-install Windows 7 and then contact windows support for Windows 8 to see if they can help.

A quick search shows that Dell does not support Windows 8 on this model, so it is probably going to be hit or miss with this one. Are you running the A15 BIOS?

Honestly if windows 8 is costing you work hours by haveing weird crashes (reguardless of what type) and non where there with windows 7, then the solution is easy.
use a real OS!
/troll
^ less troll comment than you actually believe.

Im gonna go with the old saying you americans love so much
"if it aint broken don't fix it".

Apparently things where working fine on Windows 7.
The reality is windows 8 wasnt "ment" to be used for more than 1 monitor, it was designed for tablets.
Apparntly there are "issues" with multi monitor setups with it.

The easiest way to get things working smoothly again is probably just going back to windows 7.

Last edited: