Discussion AMD Delays Ryzen 9 3950X Launch, Announces Third-Gen Threadripper With 24 Cores

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019

Just when Intel has been caught with their pants down, AMD is going easy on them? Yeah, sure 16 Core Zen2 is overkill now for the desktop but I think AMD is missing on a chance to beat Intel so bad that people will feel sorry for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
This probably speaks more to the volume of shipping Epyc's then anything.

People need to keep in mind that AMD in the strictest sense can not and may never be in position to compete with Intel in the way people think. Apple didn't learn to survive till they figured out they didn't need to be bigger then Wintel. AMD's job at this point is offer products good enough that they can sell everything they can. They can't actually displace Intel.

Intel's issue was that they 1. Even with near infinite production hit a supply issue. 2. Because of competition has to make the supply issue worse (Doubling up on dies and adding now 2.5x the cores without a shrink). 3. Most of this is because they screwed the bed worse than anyone could imagine with 10nm, so factories that were supposed to spearhead this transition are basically sitting idle.

AMD selling every wafer worth of dies TSMC can provide them. Even if it means delays short stock on the 3900x and delay's to the 3950x and TR3. Its a huge win. Not being able to get more wafers any time soon from TSMC isn't letting Intel off the hook.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So we have TSMC at the minimum, doing the EPYC chiplets, the Ryzen 3000 chiplets, the Iphone 11 chips, and probably starting on the threadripper 3000 chiplets.

They look to be overwhelmed. I can wait a couple of months for the threadripper 3000 chips. I have 5 1950x's what need upgrading, and I need a 3950x to go in what used to be a complete 3900x system, thats now in an x370 motherboard, screaming a;long merrily at 1.2 vcore and 4100 mhz.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
Bit of a disappointment, but not shocking if they're having supply issues. That coupled with the recent clock speed stuff makes me feel like its better safe than sorry. Good to hear some details about the next Threadripper. I was expecting them to wait for CES to announce them.

By the way... a good part of the TSMC line right now must be making chips for the next generation consoles, right? With AMD CPU and GPU.

I wouldn't say so. That'll probably start 1H of next year since they won't be out til fall (I think October, but more likely November, maybe late November almost December).

So we have TSMC at the minimum, doing the EPYC chiplets, the Ryzen 3000 chiplets, the Iphone 11 chips, and probably starting on the threadripper 3000 chiplets.

They look to be overwhelmed. I can wait a couple of months for the threadripper 3000 chips. I have 5 1950x's what need upgrading, and I need a 3950x to go in what used to be a complete 3900x system, thats now in an x370 motherboard, screaming a;long merrily at 1.2 vcore and 4100 mhz.

They have the previous Apple SoC, Snapdragon 855 (and 855+ or whatever the tweaked version is), Huawei's SoCs (last year's and one of this year's, as only one went to 7+). I don't know what process the next Qualcomm chip will be on (they might get lucky and can sneak past Apple, either 7+ or 6; I doubt it'd be the latter though as its just starting risk production early next year, so it'd push the big name phones back to like mid-year, Samsung could maybe go with Exynos; but I think the 855 entered production in December last year so I'd expect 7+).

I was pretty surprised that Apple didn't move to 7+, especially since they did "Pro" iPhones (where I would've expect them to maybe roll with the previous SoC for the XR level phone, but then do a higher end one for the Pro models; especially since they updated the iPad but didn't bother to update the SoC).

Shame that GF gave up, that likely would've at least been able to produce AMD's GPUs. Which, ouch, GPUs are gonna be a mess for probably another year. Also, the next gen consoles might be scarce for awhile.

Seems like Nvidia might've made a good deal if they got Samsung when they were desperate as TSMC production limitation will surely drive some demand over there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sandorski

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Seems like Nvidia might've made a good deal if they got Samsung when they were desperate as TSMC production limitation will surely drive some demand over there.

Free masks is quite an inducement. So long as Samsung is competitive with TSMC, it will be a good deal for NV.

Timeframe availabilty probally didn't work for them. The A14 is likely going to use TSMC 5.

I don’t think TSMC would be pushing 5N EUV unless Apple were on board. No one else will do as much risk production as Apple.

TSMC is overwhelmed... nuff said

According to AMD, they can, and have ordered more wafers. There are rumors that lead times have been pushed out, but digitimes reporting of six months vs the normal two months sounds like baloney. Maybe it has gone up a month, which would tie in well with the release dates in the OP.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Don't forget Snapdragon 8cx, Snapdragon 855 refresh, Snapdragon 865, Kirin 990, and others.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
8700k is a fine chip, unless you need more cores, a delid and overclock would leave you in a great position for gaming.
Why should that even be considered a "standard requirement" for "gaming with Intel"? Sounds like their chips are inadequate coming from the factory, IMHO.

Yeah, they can "stretch their legs", with a LOT (again, IMHO, delid counts as "a lot") of modding. But I'm a "lazy (gamer)", why should I bother?

Reactions: guachi

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Why should that even be considered a "standard requirement" for "gaming with Intel"? Sounds like their chips are inadequate coming from the factory, IMHO.

Yeah, they can "stretch their legs", with a LOT (again, IMHO, delid counts as "a lot") of modding. But I'm a "lazy (gamer)", why should I bother?
Just a suggestion, nothing more.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
TR4 or AM4, the question is still unresolved for me. Especially now that they'll be launching at a similar time. I probably do not need all those PCIE lanes but maybe quad channel memory would be nice.

Reactions: lightmanek