AMD cpu upgrade .

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
If you can't get 8320e + 970 mobo for $150 now, you'll be able to get it in a few months.
ASUS' Aura board that has M.2, USB 3.1, high-grade audio, and a 7+1 native VRM setup was $130 after rebate (plus tax) with an 8320E. Good luck beating that value with a Skylake build. All that's needed is decent-quality cooling and a decent-quality PSU and it will do 4.4 – 4.6 GHz and provide enough performance to support most needs.

Yes, Piledriver is an old architecture but it's still cheap and decent when paired with a good board and decent cooling.

kwalkingcraze

Jan 2, 2017
People are forgetting Phenom II X4 and X6 do exist, they tend to perform better than the FX 8-cores (actually 4 cores, 8 threads) sometimes.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Nope, but I've seen new-in-boxes Phenom X6 unopened listed on eBay from time to time.
Do they offer $40 off the purchase of a board? A Deus Ex: MD code?

Do you have any recent benchmarks that make a strong case for buying one instead of an 8320E?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I wouldn't go trolling for old Denebs or Thubans. The Thubans are generally overpriced, and you are basically taking an eBay crapshoot.

The cheapest one I can find is $65 for a 1055T. That's actually not TOO bad, but still . . . stock vs stock, the 8320e will probably wind up being the better upgrade.

ASUS' Aura board that has M.2, USB 3.1, high-grade audio, and a 7+1 native VRM setup was $130 after rebate (plus tax) with an 8320E.

That is pretty cheap. We may expect prices like those from other retailers/e-tailerers in the near future.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
ASUS' Aura board that has M.2, USB 3.1, high-grade audio, and a 7+1 native VRM setup was $130 after rebate (plus tax) with an 8320E. Good luck beating that value with a Skylake build. All that's needed is decent-quality cooling and a decent-quality PSU and it will do 4.4 – 4.6 GHz and provide enough performance to support most needs.

Yes, Piledriver is an old architecture but it's still cheap and decent when paired with a good board and decent cooling.

When it becomes too slow, what do you do, throw it in the trash? And I believe it's too slow now, so that answers that question.
I don't understand why anyone would recommend a DEAD END SYSTEM.
It's like buying a car that you won't be change the tires on in a year.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
When it becomes too slow, what do you do, throw it in the trash? And I believe it's too slow now, so that answers that question.
It's like buying a car that you won't be change the tires on in a year.
1) There is no such thing as a future-proof system.

2) An 8320E overclocked with an M.2 SSD (or a cheaper SATA drive) performs just fine for the needs of a lot of people for the $130 plus tax price. There is an AsRock bundle for only $100 or so. That board isn't nearly as good for overclocking but even it will take an 8320E high enough to be useful.

A dead-end system can't run current stuff. The 8320E can. In fact, it can even handle a 980 Ti SLI setup in plenty of games without being too much of a bottleneck when around 4.5 GHz.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

It's dead only because AMD isn't going to release any more CPUs for it.

He's been running an overclocked x2 560 for who-knows-how-long. It was released in 2010 so maybe 6 years? He should be able to get another 2-3 years out of an 8320e running @ 4 GHz or so, don't you think?

At the price of $130 that isn't too bad at all.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
If OP has been using this rig for this long, getting an 8320e bundle is a waste. Waiting for March/May will hopefully have brand new AMD CPU's that run circles around FX.

If OP cannot wait, then I can't recommend buying anything AMD. AM3+ is an outdated platform. Would it be fine for most things? Absolutely. But why not wait?

A modern Intel system is a much better option than getting an AM3+ base system in many ways. If OP doesn't want to go Intel, wait for Ryzen! It is nearly here!

Reactions: happy medium

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I get the impression he doesn't want to pay for Ryzen.

I will grant you, though, that AM3+ will be even cheaper in March.

Reactions: ZGR

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Thanks much guys

Going to build another PC for myself, Grandson hogs the Phenom one

Granddaughters hog my slower one

I have not purchased anything as of yet, will wait for March :)

winr
He told us what he was going to do, the thread is dead.

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Thanks much yall

Sorry, I was not clear on what I needed a new system for, life has been hectic the last few weeks

Gives me more to ponder on, I may get back into 1st person shooters, BF 4 and BF1, etc

Have Windows 7 PRO for whatever new system I build, seems the newer games wont run on XP

Has GTX 750 Ti but can upgrade if needed

I need to keep the overclocked x2 560 with Win. XP to run Monarch

winr