AMD CPU bottleneck on 7970

N4g4rok

Sep 21, 2011
I'm thinking about upgrading something on the desktop, but to avoid changing motherboards, i think i'm going to go for a GPU upgrade.

I'm stuck between one 7970 or two 6870s. Do you think a Phenom II will bottleneck either of those?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What Resolution do you play at? The Phenom2 will probably bottleneck either way, but if you're playing at 1080p you're probably buying way more video card than you need anyway. At least in the Short to Mid-term, eventually games would make use of them.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Toms conveniently put up an article answering that very question:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120.html

They used a 7970 to test a bunch of AMD/Intel chips to see if there is bottlenecking and yup the AMD chips bottlenecked it, pretty badly in some cases. The games used to test aren't particularly well optimized games and BF3 is done in single player but they are popular games for sure even on the PC.

N4g4rok

Sep 21, 2011
I would not upgrade, just get an entire new system based around an i5 2500k.

I think i might do just that. And jump on it when it falls into the sub-200 range.

I usually play at 1080p, and i'm usually perfectly content with 50 - 60Fps, so i'm starting to think it isn't much of a worthwhile upgrade.

N4g4rok

Sep 21, 2011
Toms conveniently put up an article answering that very question:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3120.html

They used a 7970 to test a bunch of AMD/Intel chips to see if there is bottlenecking and yup the AMD chips bottlenecked it, pretty badly in some cases. The games used to test aren't particularly well optimized games and BF3 is done in single player but they are popular games for sure even on the PC.

Every time i begin to think the Phenom has slid into destitution, i see a new benchmark like that. For what i do with it, i can't believe it's still good.