Info AMD confirms Windows 11 slow down its CPUs up to 15%

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deasd

Dec 31, 2013

The issue mentioned in the opening paragraph is caused by functional L3 cache latency which has increased by around three times on affected hardware. The programs that will suffer include those sensitive to memory subsystem access times. AMD noted another problem too, explaining that UEFI CPPC2 may not schedule threads on the processor’s fastest core preferentially.

Regarding the latter issue, applications sensitive to the performance of one or a few CPU threads will see a performance hit. The issue will be more noticeable on greater than 8-core processors that operate at over 65W. This issue should also be fixed this month.

hmmmm, whose fault is it this time? It screw up the future hardware review if true? what about Intel side?

AMD.jpg

ndjxev655tr71.png

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
Your point being? Zen 3D will not come in two years, but a couple of months after ADL.

It didn't stop Intel from "launching" Ice Lake early this year a month or two before starting shipments. And it didn't even make any competitive difference. Intel went from being 2nd place behind AMD to 2nd place behind AMD with Ice Lake.

There is a good reason for AMD to be quiet about Zen 3D now, because of potential Osborne effect. But no reason once ADL launches.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Windows 11 was rushed to release, without being properly tested.

There could not be clearer evidence that Microsoft did not do proper QA on Windows 11 than the bug we are discussing. A 15 year old YouTuber can do better QA than the entire Microsoft Corporation.

So most sane people will give Windows 11 the proper time to mature - the proper time Microsoft did not give it with the rushed release.
Yawn, more BS. You completely ignored my point and your ridiculous comment. :rolleyes:

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
It didn't stop Intel from "launching" Ice Lake early this year a month or two before starting shipments. And it didn't even make any competitive difference. Intel went from being 2nd place behind AMD to 2nd place behind AMD with Ice Lake.

There is a good reason for AMD to be quiet about Zen 3D now, because of potential Osborne effect. But no reason once ADL launches.

AMD was quiet also before Zen3 launched, And Zen2, and so on...

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
Yawn, more BS. You completely ignored my point and your ridiculous comment. :rolleyes:

You mean the point that ADL does not have a problem running on OS that has low credibility (Windows 11)?

That would be a nice feature if ADL, at the same time, did not have a problem running on OS with high credibility (Windows 10).

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
So, after all deriding and chidings you dish out in these forums, you're also just another speculator after all? And your speculations aren't even based on possibilities, they require everything to to be frozen in time? At the time indeed! :D Not to speak of the fact that you're just looking for a way out. I gave you a little education that doesn't agree with what you typed TODAY! Just accept your ignorance like a man.
Grasping the concept of the expression "at the time" in the context I've given shouldn't be a difficult task for a smart guy like you, so trying to ridicule me over an intentional misrepresentation of what I've said could even ignite some flames in a couple of decades younger version of me, but since not that long ago you've so steadily argued for PBO being the equivalent of Turbo as well, I'm just glad you let your true colors shine through from time to time, so all the childish, disgustingly condescending bragging over your imaginary "teachings" in your comment are more than enough of an answer to me.

Good talk! You're everyone else's problem from now on.

Last edited:

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Even then. The reverse wouldn't ever happen.
The reverse being windows coming out without a piece of software crucial to the proper operation of intel hardware?
Yes that would never ever happen because intel has a huge software department and they will make sure that MS gets the proper code in time even if they have to code it themselves.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The x86 market share numbers may or may not include embedded and consoles depending on the source, but it's not hard to find a breakdown for exclusively desktop and laptop share. Keep in mind that in terms of volume, laptops are the clear majority of x86 sales.

Looks like about 18-19% or so.

The question here would be if a PC centric count would even consider console CPUs, it looks like they only list PC OEM makers.

They wouldn't.

I'm just saying that 3.5m console APU sales aren't going to affect x86 market share much for AMD when over 80 million PCs shipped in the same quarter.

Sorry if my number was a bit vague, but I put it that way intentionally because I wasn't quite sure what the current number was, but I know the last time I saw it, it was in the mid to high 20% range and I was guestimating. :D

It's fine. Looks like you were pretty close regardless.

Anyone using a 3D engine other than Unreal or Unity is either going to have a nice headache adhering to these guidelines or they will simply ignore them for a few years until x86 big.LITTLE becomes commonplace. Looking forward to ADL reviews/forum posts benchmarking not-so-common games.

Frostbite? IDTech? There are other engines out there. Oh and whatever garbage Bethesda is slinging, woof. Can't wait to see how Elder Scrolls VI performs on Alder Lake!

My own speculation here. Microsoft and AMD were both aware of the problem, and were working on a solution. Microsoft pushed the release date up to accommodate Intel and Alder Lake, figuring they'd get the problem sorted shortly after launch. It isn't a grand conspiracy, though Microsoft should have been a little more professional and diligent.

Seems rational. Intel sez "we need Win11 nao" and MS sez "ummmm okay". ADL clearly won't play along well with Win10, after all.

I was wondering why I haven't come across AMD Chromebooks on shopping sites. Now I know why: Ryzen for Chromebooks is a disappointing Intel alternative - 9to5Google

It's just Picasso. AMD is clearly not burning any N7 (or better) wafers on chromebooks.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I'm just saying that 3.5m console APU sales aren't going to affect x86 market share much for AMD when over 80 million PCs shipped in the same quarter.
If we stick with the 20 vs 80% market share, then 20% of 80milion PCs would be 16million and then 3.5milion would be around 20% which is a considerable chunk.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
https://www.windowscentral.com/wind...xes-l3-caching-issue-affecting-amd-ryzen-cpus

An optional update for Windows 11 includes a fix for an L3 caching issue that can worsen the performance of PCs with AMD Ryzen CPUs. The update brings PCs to Windows 11 version 22000.282 and includes a long list of fixes and improvements.

Earlier this week, AMD released a chipset driver to fix a separate issue affecting AMD CPUs running Windows 11. With both of these fixes now available, PCs with AMD chips should run as expected when running Windows 11.