AMD confirms new architecture + launch timeframe for HD6xxx

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Why is it that every video thread these days ultimately devolves into NVIDIA's market share or business strategy?

It's interesting to some to some extent to hear the ramblings of speculative, wannabe pundits, but it doesn't really have all that much to do with "AMD confirms new architecture + launch timeframe for HD6xxx". Plus, it has already been discussed ad nauseum. Perhaps we need a sub-forum, "arm-chair CEO", for all of you people who could run all these companies better than their actual management.

Exactly how I feel around the forums these days. I have no idea why so many folks are worried/concerned/cheerful about corporations and eager to attack/defend them. Corporations are not persons.. By definition they are government-created organizations to generate goods. Why not let their management/share holders worry about the profit and all that. Discussing products/techs and keeping critical eyes on them were (and still are) the reason why I came to AnandTech 10 years ago.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Getting this thread back on track:

Thank you blastingcap.

Here's my philosophy on thread topic meander...it doesn't bother me any if the portion of the community that remains active in a particular thread decides to evolve the discussion into something that no longer resembles the original thread topic.

That's what people do, its natural for conversation to evolve, I'm not about to try and stand in front of human nature.

However, if the portion of the community that is active within a thread is split over whether or not the thread needs to meander back to the original topic (as you have more or less stated here, alongside a few of your fellow posters) then I am compelled as moderator to side with that portion of the active community in a given thread and start looking at actively engaging the anti-thread derail moderator tools.

And so here we are folks...the discussion may have initially wandered a bit without too much back-pressure in form of protest from the community but that protest and back-pressure clearly exists and is persisting.

So this is where I am compelled to add a moderator post formally putting all would-be thread-derailers on notice: keep your posts on topic or else I will start handing out the thread-derail/thread-crap infractions.

If you folks want to start another thread discussing Nvidia profitability, etc, and have posts from this thread moved over to the new thread just petition me to do so after you have created the new thread and I will put in the time to move posts over to it.

Moderator Idontcare

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Getting this thread back on track:

Thermalright inadvertently mentioned the upcoming 68xx and 67xx series cards in their latest youtube upload. It's a boring video about GPU cooling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n46_N939di8

The interesting part (which I've bolded and underlined) is when you click on the More Info arrow, you see this statement: "This secret premium VGA cooler "SHAMAN" will be released before end of September, it's aimed for supreme cooling and at the same time Quiet performance, Shaman cooler will be bundled with our latest TY-140 silent fan, so no need to buy another fan, it is universal too, it is compatible with most cards from ATI and nVIDIA including the latest GTX460,465,470,480 ATI 4850,4870,5850,5870,6800,6750 series"

Given Digitimes's article talking about a new AMD GPU launch in October, Charlie's forecast of Oct 25 plus or minus a couple of days, the AMD employee's talking about HD6xxx rollout of multiple GPUs by Christmas, and now this slip by Thermalright, I am feeling just that much more certain that we'll see the launch of the first HD6xxx series card by the end of October. :)

I've been looking forward to that cooler myself, that and the new AC one.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I've been looking forward to that cooler myself, that and the new AC one.

Starting at about 2:11 in the video, it's like music to my ears!!!! :thumbsup: I think my next CPU cooler will be the SilverArrow. Those new Thermalright fans are uber quiet, even better than Noctua or Scythe Flex fans. The problem with the Shaman is that you still need to spend another $25+ to cool the VRMs of modern videocards. That setup gets pretty pricey fast!

I look forward to the new heatsinks on HD6000 series. If the higher end chip comes in ~ 400mm2, AMD is probably going to improve the cooling to compensate. HD5000 series certainly improved upon HD4000 series, which themselves were vastly improved from HD2900 and HD3800 series.

Last edited:

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Starting at about 2:11 in the video, it's like music to my ears!!!! :thumbsup: I think my next CPU cooler will be the SilverArrow. Those new Thermalright fans are uber quiet, even better than Noctua or Scythe Flex fans. The problem with the Shaman is that you still need to spend another $25+ to cool the VRMs of modern videocards. That setup gets pretty pricey fast!

I look forward to the new heatsinks on HD6000 series. If the higher end chip comes in ~ 400mm2, AMD is probably going to improve the cooling to compensate. HD5000 series certainly improved upon HD4000 series, which themselves were vastly improved from HD2900 and HD3800 series.

There was a rumor that all their top end cards would use vapour chambers.